Glenfarclas 105 vs. Aberlour A'bunadh

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Bruichladdict
Bronze Member

Glenfarclas 105 vs. Aberlour A'bunadh

Postby Bruichladdict » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:58 am

OK, going to the US from Canada in August for 48hr, which means I can cross a couple of bottles duty free.

I'm going to purchase Bruichladdich 12, Lag 16yo, and I have to decide between Glenfarclas 105 and Aberlour A'bundadh.

Does anyone have a preference? Why?

Thanks for the help.

Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Glenfarclas 105 vs. Aberlour A'bunadh

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:56 am

I'm afraid I'm going to be the only dissenting voice here but personaly I prefer the 105. It's a pitty you can't go for both though because they're both worth trying out.
I've only had batch 12 & 17 of the Aberlour and the latter is supposed to be one of the better batches. It's not bad but I feel it's trying too hard; just too much of everything. It has a very strong sherry character but it's also very like a small batch bourbon which must be a result of widespread use of american oak in the spanish sherry production. I know most people will disagree with me but I feel the 105 is a not only a great whisky but it's also a typical Glenfarclas - and it's balanced too! The Abunadh reminds me of a toddy which I won't drink unless I have a cold. But each to his own - and from what I've read on this forum no one will agree with me.

bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:57 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:I'm afraid I'm going to be the only dissenting voice here but personaly I prefer the 105. ...,The Abunadh reminds me of a toddy which I won't drink unless I have a cold. But each to his own - and from what I've read on this forum no one will agree with me.

Completely agree :) Crazy thing is there are so many fans of Abunadh that I've waded through two bottles of that crystallised sherry treacle in attempt to enjoy it ! I would say if you don't like the Aberlour 10yo at all (I really do not like it) I would be wary of its pumped up cousin.

Bruichladdict
Bronze Member

Postby Bruichladdict » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:03 pm

Gentlemen and possibly Ladies,

I've had the Aberlour 12 double cask, I found it to be candy like in character. But from what everyone on the forum was saying, I was thinking the A'bunadh might be the way to go.

That being said, I am now leaning towards the 105. I've a friend who suggested it and now three prolific members of the forum to recommend (many thanks to you).

Thanks again for your help.

objetti
Bronze Member

Postby objetti » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:02 pm

I would buy the Aberlour A'bunadh batch 20 if that is available over the 105.
One other amazing Glenfarclas dram though - that any french/dutch/belgian on the list could perhaps pick up (that I find to be a notch over the A'bunadh batch 20) - is the Glenfarclas Heritage Cask Strength sold at (and I believe specially bottled for) Auchan supermarkets (bought two for less than 40€/each when at Disney Paris and just finished the first one)

SoMK
Gold Member

Postby SoMK » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:06 pm

^ Ditto.

A'bunadh varies, 105 doesn't or at least I suppose with a lesser intensity.
A'bunadh can be chocolatey/orange or very winey.. with a few exception with sulphur notes - bearable though-
Batches # 20, 18 or 17 would be my fav over the 105 but not batch 21.

DanAir
Bronze Member

Postby DanAir » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:15 am

I just happened to have both today. I've just opened the 105 and I understand it gets better with age so whilst it's good but not perfect right now, I suspect I'll start to like it more and more.

The a'bunagh I had was batch 22, big, heavy, sweet, syrupy, and in my eyes slightly artificial. I've previously had a batch 15 which was slightly better. Not such a fan.

Round 1 to the 105...

DanAir
Bronze Member

Postby DanAir » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:09 am

Willie JJ wrote:Try to find a batch 20, or 23 to see how good the A'bunadh can be.

Will do, Willie. Shame it's so inconsistent though.

TheTross
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:02 am

Hmm, I have a bottle of a'bunadh batch 22 and really enjoy it, so perhaps I should buy a bottle of batch 23 to see the difference.

For me, it's a tough call between the 105 and a'bunadh. I rated both very, very highly, but I'd (narrowly) choose the a'bunadh over the 105 because of the former's thick, syrupy nature.

UUNetBill
Silver Member
Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby UUNetBill » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:38 am

And there's the rub; personal preference! I've only tried the batch 21 (have an unopened 18 I need to crack, I guess!) but I prefer the a'bunadh over the 105 by a slight margin; but there are times I crave the 105. I guess if you forced me to choose, I'd choose the a'bunadh, but read the reviews to see what batches go down better.

(That sounds kinda wishy-washy, too, doesn't it?!?)

:mrgreen:

sampaiocaleia
Silver Member

Postby sampaiocaleia » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:42 am

I've tasted both.
But I prefer the A'bunadh
If you want you could see my tasting notes (use the translator):
Glenfarclas 105
http://thewhiskyscapesociety.blogspot.com/2008/04/glenfarclas-105-cask-strength-10-anos.html
A'bunadh #20
http://thewhiskyscapesociety.blogspot.com/2008/06/aberlour-abunadh-batch-20-605-abv.html

Return to “Questions & Answers”