New Release Ltd Edition Auchentoshan 16yo Bourbon Finish

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Oiler_Kiwi99
Bronze Member

New Release Ltd Edition Auchentoshan 16yo Bourbon Finish

Postby Oiler_Kiwi99 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:34 am

Got my hands on a sample of this limited edition from a rep today. Took a sample home for my wife and I to try. Here are our notes: -

Auchentoshan 16yo Bourbon Finish 53.7% Cask Strength Non Chill Filtered

Nose: - Citrus (Lemony), hint of vanilla, demerara sugar, soft on the nose despite the ABV (takes a good whiff before you have to draw your nose
away) After adding water the vanilla aromas are elevated somewhat

Palate: -
Without Water - The alcohol overpowers the taste of the whisky and it is somewhat bland. The alcohol notes are all on the tongue.

With water - Really opens it up. First you get oak then a subtle hint of malt.

Finish: - long smooth finish however adding water increases the finish 3 - 4 times at least.

Although the finish is in bourbon casks the bourbon adds more to the nose than it does to the taste. There is a lack of complexity given the age of the whisky and what it is finished in. I understand that it will be retailing for the £60 to £70 range. I am a fan of Auchentoshan but was a little disappointed in this one. The 2 previous ltd editions 17yo Bourdeaux Finish & 18yo Oloroso finish are better IMHO.

Heads up that the Ltd Edition Bowmore will be a 1990 finished for 9 years in Port casks.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”