Macallan Cask Strength info wanted....

All your whisky related questions answered here.
killerwhale
Gold Member

Macallan Cask Strength info wanted....

Postby killerwhale » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:41 am

:)
I want to buy a bottle though am unsure .... the choices are:
2 different packagings of Macallan Cask, the first is with the new bottle/package (I think the abv is 58.6).... the other one is a beige box with orange stripe, the bottle has an orange label (abv is 58.8 and I see that the cask strength 10 yr is 58.8, yet this Macallan has no age statement..... so is it just a 10? or no?)also this one says Unfiltered Cask Strength while the newer one does not.

the third option I have is to get a gift pack with Mac 10, Mac 10 cask and Elegancia(sp)..... all 3 options are similar in price.

any help would be appreciated, thanks!

kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby kljostad » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:42 pm

I have the Macallan Cask Strength 10 year old, that comes in a red cardboard box. It is a long time since i last tasted it, so I had to try it today, to be able to give you a good answer.

It is al ovely dram. Heavily sherried, strong in alcohol, and quite a little bomb of a whisky. A lot og vanilla and oak, i thought. And some smokey undertones. Long beatiful aftertaste. I actualy nedded to zip it a few times before the tastebuds got used to it. But after that, it was pure joy. I can't understand why I haven't tried it lately. I certainly will drink more of it in the near future. I have no problems recomending you to try it.

I remember i bought it two years back, because Whiskymag reported it was one of the best whiskies to pair with cuban cigars. It was difficult to find, but I remember thinking it was worth it, sitting with a few of my friends, each with a nice fat cuban in one hand, and a Macallan in the other. That was a lovely night!

:D

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Macallan Cask Strength info wanted....

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:30 pm

killerwhale wrote::)
I want to buy a bottle though am unsure .... ...the third option I have is to get a gift pack with Mac 10, Mac 10 cask and Elegancia(sp)..... all 3 options are similar in price. ...any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Killerwhale:
If you want to do a sampling to expand your whsiky knowledge, I'd recommend option 3. I've enjoyed the Elegancia at several tastings but do not own a bottle due to scarcity. I own the CS in the red box like kljostad owns and I suspect it's the older version.
Muskrat

killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:47 am

thanks for posts!

I did an online search and found out that the orange/red label is for the US market.... I think I will buy it (only 2 bottles in store) as I think the newer packaging will take over...... so probably good to buy the 'old' package.... I'd like to try all though funds dictate.... I have read that Elegancia is a Mac light?
probably good to get it though it is a one or the other buy atm.....

thanks again!!

kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby kljostad » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:53 am

I think it is a wise choice to go with the old one. I haven't tasted the new one myself, but according to Jim Murray the new one has dropped considerably in quality.

Not that he is always right, but...

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:42 pm

I think the 3 pack is the best bet especially since none of the 3 are normally available in Canada and this particular gift pack was meant for the UK market and was bought by the BCLDB as a special Xmas purchase over a year ago. There can't be many left in BC.

Lawrence

Return to “Questions & Answers”