Glenmorangie Port Wood

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
xcel

Glenmorangie Port Wood

Postby xcel » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:21 pm

I was a bit disappointed after trying a dram of this malt. The only thing I liked about it was the copper hue color. The nose was a bit different then the original 10yo, but I felt the palate wasn't much of a difference.

This was my first Port wood finish, and I guess my expectations were too high. I do notice a a bit of the port influence but it's so small. It's completely different in Sherry finished whiskies where I clearly get the sherry notes and makes a big difference in the whisky.

I wanted to know is that common with Port finished whiskies. Does the port not impart as much character as the Sherry casks?

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:29 pm

It will depend on the length of time in the port pipe, of course. It's fairly strong in the Balvenie PortWoods, as I recall. I imagine the subtlety of the Glenmorangie finish is a matter of the blender's preference. Everyone will have a different idea of what's enough and what's too much.

Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:37 am

What I find interesting is that this is one of the very few drams that has got cheaper in recent times.

Three years ago, it was retailing for $90 locally. It is now retailing for $76.

I have no idea why. Has this occurred in any other markets?

Cheers,
AD

xcel

Postby xcel » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:16 am

It was about $40US, I don't know how much it used to be.
I can't see myself buying this over the regular 10yo, which is about $33.

Leither
Gold Member

Postby Leither » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:47 am

Supermarket prices here are circa £27 for the GM portwood - but often discounted down to approx £20 so I stock up then.

http://www.sainsburystoyou.com/webconne ... 5589444614

Morangie 10 is circa £25 but again often discounted.

zippy

Postby zippy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:33 pm

I have not tried a lot of port finished whiskies - apart from the Glenmorangie I have had the Bowmore port finish (dawn?)

In both cases I find the port too strong and overwhelming - it's almost like putting ribena in whisky - I'd rather drink whisky unadulterated by port (and vice versa)

middlecut

Postby middlecut » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:53 am

I really enjoy the port woods. The Glenmorangie is one of my favorites but my prize possession is the Bunnahabain port wood I bought after my mighty fine tour last year!

I do agree with Mr T. the Belvenie is great if you don't like too much of the port. It just adds a nice richness.

The Bowmore has a great nose and palate .. like eating a blackcurrant liquorice sweet in a burning hospital ! though the finish is long you may think you have been eating a bar of soap after 15 minutes!

Here are my thoughts on the Glenmorangie (click the pic if you have flash installed and can be bothered to jump to a new site for a moment)

oops I did it again (sorry it was just the easiest thing to do)! :twisted:

Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Les Paul » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:35 am

I think this is fantastic whisky. I have thoroughly enjoyed my bottle.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:17 am

middlecut wrote:The Bowmore has a great nose and palate .. like eating a blackcurrant liquorice sweet in a burning hospital !

I'll have to try that sometime.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”