what blends do you drink?

General chat and talk about whisky.
killerwhale
Gold Member

what blends do you drink?

Postby killerwhale » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:16 am

just curious, what blends (if any) do you consume? & why? also do you start a session with a blend or have it last?

les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:22 am

Black Bottle a blended Islay and Black Bottle ten is even better. I'd probably have one first then go on to a SMS. Or just have the one and that would be it.

I probably would not drink a single first then go on to a blend. Unless for fun we were doing a blind tasting.

:)

irishwhiskeychaser

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:22 am

Jameson 12yo would probably be my most regular blend.

I'd have the old teachers and JW black in a pub depending on what they had.

However if I was drinking a few I would always finish with the blends like JW black or teachers as I would like to get thye full experience from single malts or a potstill. However I treat my Jameson 12yo as I would a single malt as I think it is as good as any out there.

middlecut

Postby middlecut » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:55 am

Well I have a bottle of Dimple and one Chivas regal. They are not bad but I usually keep them for my wife's friends when they say...

"OOOh look at all those whiskies.. can I try one?"

(not that I don't want to promote single malt if.. they liked the tase I would then introduce them to something single.)

I never thought of using one as a starter b4 a session .. good idea! I usually start with a Tormore or maybe Aberlour.

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:02 am

IWC wrote:-

Jameson 12yo would probably be my most regular blend.

I have to agree I forgot about Jameson's being a blend, it has to be one of the best along with JW Black.

irishwhiskeychaser

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:12 am

les taylor wrote:

I have to agree I forgot about Jameson's being a blend, it has to be one of the best along with JW Black.

I like the fact that alot of people don't associate the blend tag with Jameson 12yo ... good on ya Les :wink:

I suppose we all do get a bit caught up about singles and blends. I have a bottle of Dimple and JW gold which I have still to open because the singles always keep get top billing to be opened first ......

.... oh Nooooooo (deep dark cavern echo kicks in :lol: ) ...... I'm becomming a malt snob .... aaaahhhh ..... help me :lol:

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:13 am

My favorite blend thus far has been the Blue Hanger 25y! If I could keep that stocked, I would definitely! Makes me wonder about their other bottlings, as they do single malts and also a 30y Blue Hanger. But that 25y was just unbelievable, full of flavor and balance and fruit and even others I let taste were impressed, not even whisky drinkers some of them either! I may have to pick up another bottle in Scotland next month!

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:23 am

Hmmm. We both had a Jameson's on sunday night. that's me and my young lady singer I recently introduced to malts - she loves glenmorangie and has recently fallen for Talisker in a major way(that's my girl!)

She hated the Jameson's. i found it unsubtle and far too sweet. I don't remember reacting to it in this way - It was never a fave but always OK. Either i was still suffering from the last malt i had had the night before(probably something rubbish like the Talisker 18...or an Ardbeg!!) or else the bottle was almost empty - I've noted several whiskies in pubs that seem overly sweet have a pouring spout on the top...and even with that little glass measure, surely the air is constantly getting to them??

No way to treat a whisk(e)y!!

Having said that I love Blackbush, and JW Black, and dare I say it, they are the only blends I've ever bought!

Other outstanding blends I recall are Midleton, Black Bottle...

...and JW Gold.Now if THAT was less expensive it might just be a regular in my collection...rubbing shoulders with Ardbegs, A'bunadhs and Taliskers...

Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Wave » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:26 pm

The 2 blends I keep on hand are Dewer's White Label & Islay Mist.

Cheers!

peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:59 pm

Jameson's 12yo. It is an impressive dram and I also forget that it is a blend often.

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:03 pm

Jameson 12 here too. A truly wonderful whisky by any standards!

bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:09 pm

Jameson NAS, is my regular pub pour (although I normally drink wine or beer outside the house).

irishwhiskeychaser

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:57 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:.......probably something rubbish like the Talisker 18...or an Ardbeg!!)......

Bit of a bummer having to lower yourself to these malts :wink:

Reggaeblues wrote:
Having said that I love Blackbush, and JW Black, and dare I say it, they are the only blends I've ever bought!

Other outstanding blends I recall are Midleton, Black Bottle...

...and JW Gold.Now if THAT was less expensive it might just be a regular in my collection...rubbing shoulders with Ardbegs, A'bunadhs and Taliskers...

I forgot about the Blackbush ... now that is a fine dram and I think I'll have to open the JW gold pretty soon 8)

lbacha
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:26 pm

At the bar I drink Jamesons NAS and JW Black Label due to availability.

Open at home I have bottles of Jamesons 12, Black Bottle 10 and JW Green (Blended malt) open at the moment with a bottle of Black Bush, Islay Mist and Black Bottle NAS ready to replace them. All great drams when you are in the mood.

Len

killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:40 pm

thanks for posts :)

I've been trying some blends just for the experience of tasting them, sometimes I'll start with a blend, flush mouth with water and go to a SM, other times I'll finish with a blend, depends what mood I'm in and what flavour I want atm.
JWB is good (pricey here though) aswell as Teachers, Famous Grouse, Gordon Highlander to name a few I've thought are drinkable and good for the price.
re: Jameson 12, never had it ... tried reg Jameson and it wasn't for me.... I read that the 12 is better but also super spicey :? ??? so I have not bought a bottle..... I should give it a go though.

hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:45 am

I never buy blends on purpose... Generally at home I'm drinking single malts all the time but for a few exceptions.

When I'm out often a blend is all that is available but I prefer this to 12yo Glenfiddich and Glenlivet for some reason. JW Black and other JW blends are pretty good. Teachers Highland Cream is really nice.

Overall I actually prefer Irish blends, preferring Jameson there. I believe even the 18yo is a blend but it is very good.

Harry

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:58 am

I like JW Black, Midleton VR, Jameson 18, Jameson 12. Oh, lots and lots more.

Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:27 pm

JW black. The Gold is delicious though.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:43 pm

I almost never drink scotch blends, but I must admit, If I want a hot toddy to scare away a cold, then I often use "Grants" which is readily available, quite acceptable and cheap
MT

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:49 am

Bruichladdich's Celtic Nations Celtic Blended Malt Whisky

It's really a vatting, or a blended malt if you prefer, of Irish (bushmills?) and bruichladdich. I've read it's also got some Port Charlotte. It's friggen awesome! Lovely honey and cinnamon. Not at all what I was expecting. Get some while you can.

My notes:
http://www.forpeatsake.com/Bruichladdic ... t+Whisky/1

Colin.

martin grant
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:50 pm

ColinL wrote:Bruichladdich's Celtic Nations Celtic Blended Malt Whisky

It's really a vatting, or a blended malt if you prefer, of Irish (bushmills?) and bruichladdich. I've read it's also got some Port Charlotte. It's friggen awesome! Lovely honey and cinnamon. Not at all what I was expecting. Get some while you can

Colin.

Hi Colin, I'm pretty sure the Irish whiskey in Celtic Nations comes from Cooley.

Anyway - my favourite blends would be either The Loch Fyne or Bailie Nicol Jarvie. Both exceptionally smooth with impressive after tastes

killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:25 pm

thanks for posts..... I should have included how one drinks a blend ie) neat, with a little h2o or otherwise....
MT.... Grants will be tasted in the not too distant future for myself :)

I drink blends neat or if they are too harsh, then I try with some water.... and if they just do not agree with me, then it rests in it's tomb with the 'lid' firmly closed .... fortunately I only have one 'coffin' and that is a small one (375ml) then name reads: Mr. Ballantine :lol:
(I will give this blend another go some day, for now however it rests behind a drinkable bottle)

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:39 pm

IWC wrote "Bit of a bummer having to lower yourself to these malts" (Talisker 18 and Ardbeg...)

I know. life is hard...

P.S. Go for the Gold! Pure class-in-a-glass as I recall

killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:50 pm

rb: is that John Power & Son Gold Label?

ps; attempting to see if I've worked out uploading pics.... :oops:

yay for Orcas! now if only I could keep that in my sig. or use as an avatar :?

irishwhiskeychaser

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:03 pm

JW gold I think is what our very own ragga master on high is refering to ...

wieslaw

Postby wieslaw » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:23 am

blends work well with ice, particularly in warmer weather.

white horse or jwb or grant's.

wieslaw

killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:04 pm

thanks irishwhiskeychaser :)
mike.... a good day indeed!

wie.... I'll give Ballantines a go with some ice, perhaps it'll help....
I did get to try Grants and although it was okay I do not think I shall buy a bottle.... I much prefer Teachers to Grants

kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby kljostad » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:05 pm

I very rarely drink blends. I have just a few in my drinks cabinet, and the only ones I have opened is Black Bottle, and a Norwegian blend of scottish whiskies, called Upper Ten 12 Years Old.

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:41 pm

kljostad, have you tried Jameson 12? If not I think you'll be in for a surprise. Really good!

kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby kljostad » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:50 pm

No, not yet, but I have heard goods things about it, so I might consider buying one. But as for Irish whisky, I would love to get my hands on a Connemara, but it's not available in Norway. :(

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:19 pm

kljostad wrote:No, not yet, but I have heard goods things about it, so I might consider buying one. But as for Irish whisky, I would love to get my hands on a Connemara, but it's not available in Norway. :(

A kind person send me a tasting pack of Connemara and I think it was a great. It's sad it's not available around here.

killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:09 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:kljostad, have you tried Jameson 12? If not I think you'll be in for a surprise. Really good!

re: J12.... how spicy is this whiskey? I want to try it but there are only 750ml bottles and I've read a few posts that indicate this is one spicy drink.... I was not impressed by the standard Jameson also.... is it really that different?

thanks for input!

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:20 am

killerwhale wrote:
Mr Fjeld wrote:kljostad, have you tried Jameson 12? If not I think you'll be in for a surprise. Really good!

re: J12.... how spicy is this whiskey? I want to try it but there are only 750ml bottles and I've read a few posts that indicate this is one spicy drink.... I was not impressed by the standard Jameson also.... is it really that different?

thanks for input!

Hi Willy :)
I haven't tried the standard Jameson but I've read the 12 is head and shoulders above it in quality/taste. In my opinioin the 12 is certainly spicy and also quite sherried. I could be wrong but I think it's what takes away the "spirity edge" often found in blends. It certainly has pot still character and given the fact that it is a blend I'd say you get a lot for the money. I'll recommend it because I like it but I'll feel pretty guilty if you buy it and won't like it........... But a worst case scenario could be changed into a really good irish coffee?

killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:41 am

hi Mr Fjeld :P

hmmm thanks for info., I'm still unsure about it though no worries on me buying and not liking it.... I tend to agree with Mr.T. ( I think he is the one who posted on malts he may not like and wrote; he bought the bottle, he's going to drink it damn it, or something along those lines, lol).

thanks again for help Jelly! :P

shoganai
Silver Member

Postby shoganai » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:05 am

I usually prefer single malts, but I do enjoy a nice blend every once in a while. Generally I'll go for a blend when I'm in the mood for something nice and fun, but not too challenging. Some I've tried recently and liked:

Michael Collins
Jameson 12
JW Green
JW Gold
JW Black
J&B (my favorite "bottom shelf" whisky)

Is Bushmills a blend? If so add Bushmills 10 to the list.

Return to “Whisky Chat”