New HP 12, observations

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Tyson

New HP 12, observations

Postby Tyson » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:00 am

At my local liquor store last night I noticed that they had the new Highland Park 12 in stock so I picked up a bottle post haste. The bottling is interesting, oval and short, a stout look. The old timey looking label adds to the impression of an "old school" feel.

The "old" HP is one of my favorite OB whiskeys, perhaps "the" favorite. I knew that they had stopped adding coloring and the whiskey does seem to be a couple of shades lighter, but still a nice amber hue. On the palate the balance had shifted. I notices quite a bit less honey in the middle, and definitely more organics (peat and earthiness) in the finish.

Overall it's a change, for some people maybe a change for the better, for other people probably not. Me? I figure I've got till the end of the bottle to make up my mind :)

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:25 am

That's interesting to hear Tyson. I'm still working my way through some old style bottles but I'm tempted to do a HTH to see if there is an improvement or otherwise.
I've had a couple of independent expressions which have never seem caramel in their life and they are brilliant - particularly the Signatory bottlings. So HP without caramel holds no fear for me :D

DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby DramMeister » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:31 pm

I opened a new style HP12 this week. I've not done a H2H but I think it's not changed much. I, for one, am glad about that, it's still a great dram!

Return to “Whisky Tastings”