Ian Macleod's 'As we get it'

All your whisky related questions answered here.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Ian Macleod's 'As we get it'

Postby BruceCrichton » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:04 am

I was given a bottle of this stuff at * years old and 60.5%abv.

Has anybody got any information about it?

Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:30 am

I have only tried the Islay version. The Islay and the Highland have to be pretty good value as cask strength single malts go.

The Islay I tried was definitely (my opinion) Laphroiag all three times. I have seen comments about it being Lagavulin but I am sure that is wishful thinking ;)

Your views on the Highland will be interesting.

Leither
Gold Member

Postby Leither » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:07 pm

I've tried both the Islay and Highland versions in pubs on several occassions over the past year and have a bottle of each open at home (with back ups). IMO they are the best value or 'bang-for-your-buck' malts I've tried at around £25 each for some lovely cask strength 8 year olds.

They are 'mystery' malts but I'm pretty sure the Islay expression is an 8yo Lagavulin, as Macleods seem to have a supply deal with Diageo. The exact ABV fluctuates with each bottling slightly so are very much 'As we get it' from what I can see. I can see the Islay perhaps being Caol Ila from time to time but I'm 95% plus positive the ones I've had are Lagavulin (confirmed by a couple of highly respected stockists).

The Highland I have heard is Macallan but I think this it is more likely to be Glengoyne for recent bottlings, given Macleods own the distillery. I'm open to suggestions on this one.

From what I can see this stuff only gets bottled once or twice a year and is in short supply - if you see it snap it up! As soon as RMW get supply in it vanishes.

BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:16 pm

Leither wrote:The Highland I have heard is Macallan but I think this it is more likely to be Glengoyne for recent bottlings, given Macleods own the distillery. I'm open to suggestions on this one.

Why not just bottle it as cask strength Glengoyne?

I think it might be Glenfarclas. They don't sell to indies and don't allow the use of their name. Any independent Glenfarclas will have a Pseudonym.

BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:47 am

C_I wrote:
But Bruce, have you actually opened it already, or what is blocking you?

I haven't opened it yet. I have 3 bottles open and want to finish them first.

Tom
Gold Member

Postby Tom » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:41 am

The Highland version is an 8Y old Macallan. Its a fantastic whisky for that price and age. When I go for a cigar/whisky combo on a rare occasion (I quit smoking but these combinations are just too tempting) this is my choice actually.

I had not heard of a new release like C.I. implies, but it would be logical. I seriously doubt however it would be Glenfarclas as they have been very strict lately against independent bottlings of their whisky.

vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:54 am

for the strength and the price, there very good buys i feel personally.

Return to “Questions & Answers”