Balvenie 21 PortWood packaging

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
PuckJunkie
Bronze Member

Balvenie 21 PortWood packaging

Postby PuckJunkie » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:10 am

I came across Balvenie 21 in a store today for far less than the usual price - about $90 USD, when typically it's $125 or more - and the packaging was a presentation box instead of the usual tube I've seen. Is this older packaging? Anyone seen this before?

Puck

Jan
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:03 am

That sounds a little strange; The tube is the "old" packaging - the presentation box is the new one, which is supposed to be repositioned as a premium bottling, in other words, becoming more expensive....

Cheers
Jan

irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:29 am

PuckJunkie wrote:I came across Balvenie 21 in a store today for far less than the usual price - about $90 USD, when typically it's $125 or more - and the packaging was a presentation box instead of the usual tube I've seen. Is this older packaging? Anyone seen this before?

Puck

Jan wrote:That sounds a little strange; The tube is the "old" packaging - the presentation box is the new one, which is supposed to be repositioned as a premium bottling, in other words, becoming more expensive....

Cheers
Jan

Looks like some one made a boo boo ... quick go buy it before they realise their mistake ....

jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:51 pm

Yes, that is the new "heavy cardboard" box with the latch on it. I saw them side by side recently and the store owner verified the new one. Indeed, grab it for that price. I still run across a few that are not marked up yet. It seems unfair to charge the new price for the old tube. I thought the box was going to be the wooden one like the 25 has, but was mildly disappointed by the one released. The contents are whats important, and I assume that hasn't changed. I stocked up when I heard about the increase, so it will be awhile before I find out. I did find the new Balvenie 17yo New Wood that same day so all is good. :wink: Anyone seen it in quantity yet? They just had the one bottle I bought in stock and being a limited release, I'd like to have a backup if it turns out nice (as yet unopened).

PuckJunkie
Bronze Member

Postby PuckJunkie » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:37 pm

How bizarre. The crazy thing is that this place is a small, cheap, discount liquor store and their whisky selection is horrible. What is there has mostly been sitting on the shelves for five years or more - this is where I found the Ardbeg 17 sitting around forgotten (it's gone now :)). I figured they had older bottles at older prices... not newer bottles at strangely low prices.

I'll have to pick up a bottle or two. They had three or four.

Puck

Return to “Whisky Tastings”