Oban 14

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Green Manelishi

Oban 14

Postby Green Manelishi » Sun May 28, 2006 1:07 am

At the recommendation of an friend, who knows I enjoy Islay, I picked up a bottle of Oban 14. First taste was tonight.
It's certainly agreeable but I think the one bottle will be sufficient.

lexvo
Silver Member

Postby lexvo » Sun May 28, 2006 3:36 pm

Oban 14 is a good whisky and IMO has a very interesting and complex nose. However, as an Islay fan myself, I wouldn't rush out and buy a bottle either (last bottle was a gift). Maybe I will buy a bottle, but there are other whiskies that I'd like to try or buy again first :)

Color: Amber
Nose: a bit salt, fresh/fruityness, sweetness gets in (caramel?)
Body: mild, round, medium
Palate: fresh, some sweet, some peat
Finish: a hint of smoke, peat, dry (sometimes almost too dry for my taste)
Score: 78

Skauge

Postby Skauge » Mon May 29, 2006 9:58 am

What makes Oban so great is that it has a bit of "everything", some fruit, some smoke, some salt, and neither part is dominating. A very nice dram. :)

Alec

Postby Alec » Mon May 29, 2006 10:00 am

Hmm, never been a fan of Oban! Each to their own though, that's why whiskey is so great :)

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon May 29, 2006 10:07 am

I have absolutely nothing against a bottle of Oban 14 @ $55/bottle. However here in Ontario, the LCBO charges around $85 for a bottle. Nothing wrong with the dram in my view - just the price.

Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Mon May 29, 2006 4:07 pm

Indeed,Oban 14 Yrs is a nice whisky and I enjoyed it for quite a while,but I wouldn't buy a new one as long I can still discover other nice ones.

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Oban 14

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon May 29, 2006 6:49 pm

I do enjoy the Oban from time to time, when the mood for a dram strikes. I've had an Oban 14 in my collection ever since I bought my first one at a tasting many years ago. It, like Glenlivet, Balvenie and Glenfiddich, are stalwarts of my malts. I will always have one to enjoy.
Muskrat Pete

Mr Ellen
Silver Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Tue May 30, 2006 1:16 pm

I also try to have an Oban in my collection at all times. It's a very nice, smooth and fruity whisky, easy drinking and just a little smoky. Fairly priced as well.
I also like the Distillers Edition (finished in Montilla) which I find just a little bit drier and with even more fruit (peaches, mandarin & apricot). It also has a lot more salt to it.

Cheers

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue May 30, 2006 3:23 pm

Mr Ellen wrote:I also like the Distillers Edition (finished in Montilla) which I find just a little bit drier and with even more fruit (peaches, mandarin & apricot). It also has a lot more salt to it.

Cheers

That is the only Oban I've tried and I find it to be a good whisky. It's one of my regulars. I must try the 14yo though.

laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Wed May 31, 2006 9:37 am

I agree Oban 14 is a good whisky but not amazing for an Islay fan; besides the quality/price ratio doesn’t help.
Bye
Luca

Return to “Whisky Tastings”