Arran range

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
toshie
Bronze Member

Arran range

Postby toshie » Mon May 22, 2006 2:35 pm

Had five drams from the Arran range during Glasgow's Whisky Club tasting at Arran Distillery on Saturday. Here are some notes.
1. Robert Burns International: Very light colour, the typical Arran profile of apples and citrus, but for me, strangely lacking in any real depth of character.
2. Tne Arran 7 ncf: Straw coloured, again light, but with some more cream and banana coming through
3. The 10YO ncf: And the extra years have given this more depth. The trademark citrus is softened and this is a sweet dram, very warming with dark chocolate and a long satisfying aftertaste
4. The Limited Edition Sherry Cask: Overpowered, for me, by the finishing cask. Seemed to be all sherry and very little whisky
5. Limited Edition Montepulciano d'Abruzzo: According to the distillery, it was matured in a sherry cask, and finished for 4 months in French oak casks previously used for the ‘Villa Gemma’ cuvée from the Italian wine producer, Gianni Masciarelli.
A deep ruby red colour, I found it powerful, very warming, with spices, vanilla and a touch of tobacco. One for those long winter nights in front of a fire.
But I wondered: in general terms what are the pros and cons of finishing in a cask so powerful that, in the sherry case on Saturday, it may take over from the whisky.
My feeling after re-visiting the 10YO in my home last night was that it was an exceptionally fine whisky, showing a great depth of maturity from one so (relatively) young

bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Mon May 22, 2006 4:04 pm

There is a bottle of Arran 10yo, with my name on it somewhere. Thanks for the notes :)

Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:44 pm

Have anyone had a go at the new standard 10yo ?

Christian

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:56 am

I'm really enjoying the Arran finished in a Marsala cask, it's very nice. It's too late to discuss taste characteristics, but I'd buy another bottle if I came across one.

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:37 pm

Had to bring this thread back to life as the new Arran 10yo is now released in Norway. Any opinions on the 10yo ?

Christian

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:53 pm

I had it somewhere--I have no notes (or even much memory), but my impression of Arran so far is that they make good stuff. I've had a couple things from them that were a bit weird, but no clunkers.

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:41 pm

Thanks Mr T. - think I'll go for it!

Christian

PeatPirate

Postby PeatPirate » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:12 am

Hi all,

Have anyone had a go at the new standard 10yo ?

I finished a bottle a few weeks ago.

Nose: Vanilla, Honey

Taste: Nice mouthfeel, a bit syrupy. Sweet taste with lots of vanilla and some green apples.

Finish: Getting even more sweet. Vanilla!!

Not too complex. I enjoyed it as a nice summer dram.

A promise for the future (Arran 18YO 46% NCF No Finish OB) :)

Greetz PP

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:57 am

Nice tasting notes PP! When I read them I can't help but wonder if you find it somewhat similar to Bruichladdich 10/12?

Christian

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:03 am

I'm currently being tempted by a 9yr CS Single Cask bottling of Arran, bottled by the LCBO. I'm really, really being tempted...

bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:57 am

The 10yo Arran is really lovely. Super clean juicy malt, with lemons. I'd agree that it's a summer malt but it is not too light, just very clean and fresh.

Aidan

Postby Aidan » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:42 am

I tried a number of them a few years ago and did not like them. However, Ian Kendal's cask is really lovely. I can't wait for it to be bottled.

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:20 pm

Frodo wrote:I'm currently being tempted by a 9yr CS Single Cask bottling of Arran, bottled by the LCBO. I'm really, really being tempted...

Go for it! I tried the 10 a week ago and really enjoyed it, a CS 9 year old will be great.

Lawrence

PeatPirate

Postby PeatPirate » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:18 pm

Hi all,

Christian asks:

Nice tasting notes PP! When I read them I can't help but wonder if you find it somewhat similar to Bruichladdich 10/12?

It's some time ago I had the Laddie 10. I think (have to dig deep into my memory) the Laddie is a bit more fruity (zesty?) and briny. Less oily.

The Arran in my opinion more influenced by (bourbon cask?) vanilla and malty sweetness.

Both of them have a bit of a Northern Highlands character, The Laddie more or less Glenmorangie/Pulteney style. The Arran reminds me more of young Clynelish/Ord style. But perhaps these comparisons lead to more discussion instead of clarity?? :-)

Greetz PP

Return to “Whisky Tastings”