OB Glencadam 15

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Lawrence
Matured cask

OB Glencadam 15

Postby Lawrence » Thu May 11, 2006 6:40 pm

Has anybody tried this new bottling? Here's a comment from LFW;

Glencadam OB 15yo 40%alc. [New]

Released in April 2005 by the new owners. Anyone like to volanteer a tasting note?

This from customer Patterson:

I'm surprised you haven't reviewed this yet as it's a damn good whisky.

I'd have said it was like Glen Garioch with extra honey - but creamy is a good way of putting it. There's some treacle too.

Basically this is a good medium-heavy malt without island smoke. There's a bit of sherry but I think it's mainly wood flavour you're getting -definitely vanilla (real from the pod not the bottle of synthetic stuff). I get a certain amount of heather as well, but overall it's an autumn walk in aon oakwood with someone baking treacle tarts in the forester's cottage.

Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Thu May 11, 2006 7:17 pm

I was trying to find my notes for it, but evidently I didn't write any down. But it was good enough to make me buy a bottle at the whisky fair in Kolding in April. Haven't opened the bottle yet though.

lambda
Bronze Member

Postby lambda » Thu May 11, 2006 8:33 pm

I will not attempt tasting notes, but it's a good dram. I agree with the clear wood influence, especially in the taste. Very enjoyable.

LFW seems to offer it for a reasonable price, but around here it is more expensive (around 50-55 euros), which makes it unattractive compared to some other 15yo whiskies (e.g. glenfarclas), especially at 40%.

jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Thu May 11, 2006 9:09 pm

It's mentioned in issue #55 of WM on page 55 as being introduced at U.S. Airports soon. It is described as toffee, caramel, and raisins on the nose and rum and Christmas cake in the mouth. Hmmm. I remember a Cadenhead bottling from a while back I was wondering about.

Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sat May 13, 2006 11:58 pm

I seem to recall MJ once saying that Glencadam was one of the creamiest whiskies around?

I've yet to try a sample from any expressions, but I am keen!

Cheers,
Admiral

Return to “Whisky Tastings”