Henry McKenna Single Barrel

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Henry McKenna Single Barrel

Postby bamber » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:40 am

When I first had this Bourbon a few weeks ago some of the SMWS Heaven Hill bottles came to mind. What was especially reminiscent was the presence of Campari on the nose and palate, which is a drink I regularly enjoy. First tried it head to head against Rock Hill Farms and I enjoyed it much more, than this genereally higher rated whisky (the RHF).

Nose: Powerful. Dark roast coffee and cocoa. Campari, overripe cherry and tropical fruits (slight). Oak.
Palate: Good bitter sweet balance but the oak dominates slightly, with challenging black coffee dark chocolate combining with the Campari bitter sweet fruitiness to make a combative oak-influenced mouthfill.
Finish: Long and bitter sweet.

Comment: A Bourbon 'right up my alley'. Powerful, fruity and challenging. If you think WT 101 is too potent I suggest you steer clear of this one :)

Score: 92 (JM leniency)

Ed
Silver Member

Postby Ed » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:09 pm

Hello Bamber,
I have had the standard Henry McKenna and it was okay to pretty good. I have never had the single barrel. Your notes on the SB are making me thirsty!
Ed

bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:35 pm

I've not had the standard one - but I think JM considers them to be completely different animals. An excellent and rather different Bourbon in my opinion. I would put it in my essential list.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”