Ben Nevis 1992

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Ben Nevis 1992

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:00 am

Ben Nevis is a taste that i understand to be unique and quite pleasant, from what i have read. Never had the opprtunity as yet, seems that its very hard to find 'round here. However i did spot a bottle on the shelf the other day. Ben Nevis 1992 43% abv., no statement of age.
Ran a couple of seaches; no results.
Any suggestions or tasting notes woud be much appreciated.
Thankyou.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:38 pm

I had a bottle of Ben Nevis from Cadenhead's. It was cask strength and around 12 or 13 years old - I really can't remember the exact bottling but it was bought about a year ago. It was thick, dark and like an old, sherry steeped fruitcake. Very rich. It did have something on the finish that I can't quite describe - some kind of dirty dryness, rather bitter despite the sweet taste of the whisky. I could never quite decide whether I liked this aspect or not. But tons of flavour for your money. I would certainly consider getting Ben Nevis again.

Sorry for the inexpert notes - if you want class, go to Jim Murray.

hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:19 pm

I've enjoyed Ben Nevis bottlings from Signatory (including a '92 10yo) and Cadenhead's. Not a top shelf malt but a very good western highland dram IMO. Lots of flavor, malty, some peat IMMSM.

Harry

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:51 pm

I had a bottle of the Ben Nevis 10 year old last fall. I put it in my flask daily as I hiked Loch Ness and I found it to be a good solid malt without any floral notes which I really enjoyed. I am going to try and find another bottle.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”