first ever tasting of Bowmore 12 too floral

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
HP 4 me

first ever tasting of Bowmore 12 too floral

Postby HP 4 me » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:35 pm

Hey everyone. When it comes to Islay malts, i usually stick to Ardbeg Uigedail and my favorite Caol Ila. Afew days ago, I thought it would be nice to give the Bowmore 12 that has been sitting at the back of my shelf for a few years now, a try. I poured a measure, waited a few minutes, and then stuck my nose in the glass..... WOW!! I dont know where Bowmore gets lemon and honey on the nose for tasting notes, but all i got was FlOWERS!! Roses/lillacs basically a basket of flowers. Took a sip.... Yup more of the same.... to the point where it became borderline unenjoyable for me. Has enyone else found this with the 12 year old? :o

whiskgeek
Silver Member

Re: first ever tasting of Bowmore 12 too floral

Postby whiskgeek » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:57 am

I haven't noticed floral, but the younger ones are always herbal - vegetal, green, weedy. Which is okay. Others are perfumey, which is horrible.

taralt

Postby taralt » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:45 pm

I agree, Bowmore 12 is quite floral and perfumey, and not in a good way. I thought it was ok when I first tried it, but now after having Ardbeg and Lagavulin the Bowmore seems a poor relation. Much less smoke than the other Isay's I've tried.

I also get a sort of buttery flavour from it? I do get the honey, but again in a sickly sort of way rather than the smooth, warming honey from good Speyside malts. Not a particularly complex whisky either.

taralt

Postby taralt » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:58 pm

I have heard that Bowmore's Tempest expression is supposed to be better. Has anyone tasted it?

Return to “Whisky Tastings”