Kirkland Whiskies

General chat and talk about whisky.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Kirkland Whiskies

Postby AdamMY » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:06 am

Dug up a note from one available Fall of 2011

Macallan 15 year old Sherry Cask Finish.

Aroma: Fruit cocktail, fino sherry, hint of sulfur, butter scotch, peaches and assorted toasted nuts.

Taste: A peaches fruit cup complete with syrup, spice cake, a bit overly present alcohol, and incredibly oily.

Finish: Peanut brittle, and toasted almonds.

AdamMY

Postby AdamMY » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:40 am

"Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky Aged 20 Years Sherry Cask Finish" 40%

N: Oddly getting cooked banana's and flour. Touch of wood, but some interesting other aromas. Marzipan?

Taste: That odd flavor wave I can not quite place is prevalent in the taste as well. I will say that some air did this whisky good. Oddly candy like, lots of coconut, and vanilla. Good bit of banana as well.

Finish: Short and sweet, banana stays behind.

Take these notes with a grain of salt the sherry finish is almost all but lost as I just had a lot of heavy sherried whiskies earlier.

Courcelles

Postby Courcelles » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:13 pm

Wondering where y'all are finding these Kirkland whiskies? I've checked stores in CT and NJ, and while they have the bourbon and other Kirkland spirits, no Kirkland scotch is available to be found. Did these never make it to the east coast?

AdamMY

Postby AdamMY » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:54 am

I also will say that in the Illinois store I visit, they are not found often. It seems they get a shipment and it is there until it sells out and not in a hurry to be replaced. Honestly the bourbon is the only Kirkland Whiskey that I have ever seen in that store consistently.

legomyego

Postby legomyego » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:09 am

my brother was telling me how they had some of their whiskies in bulk? guess i'll have to take a look next time I'm there...

whiskgeek
Silver Member

Postby whiskgeek » Thu May 22, 2014 5:20 am

I just tried some Kirkland 18y Speyside Sherry Finish. I think it cost about $40, which seems like a good deal, but it was pretty weak. It was dark in color, but obviously artificial, since we could hardly taste any sherry. Must have been second-fill, and it did say "finish." I could detect some Speyside flavors, and a little vanilla. That was about it.

No distillery was listed. It made me wonder if it was Macallan, and the distillery didn't want their name on it, since it wasn't too good. Or it could have been some generic, usually-blended whisky.

Return to “Whisky Chat”