Longrow 14 (new distillery release)

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
lucabeer

Longrow 14 (new distillery release)

Postby lucabeer » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:16 am

Hello everybody!

I just bought a bottle of this new OB expression:

http://www.springbankdistillers.com/spr ... .php?id=32

I tried it yesterday, and I was TRULY puzzled. I am not a big fan of Longrow 10 but I admit it's a good medium peaty dram (let's say I'd rate it an 8 ), but this 14 was truly different from what I remembered Longrow to taste.

It's incredibly soft: even my wife who usually coughs when drinking Scotch could taste it and say "smooth!". You can't almost feel the 46% alcohol.

The thing that puzzles me most is the incredible sherry dryness that pervades it: from nose to palate, to finish, it ALWAYS smells/tastes like dry Marsala. The peat is very weak and delicate. The finish is almost metallic.

Really, it always tastes of a stronger dry Marsala!!!!

Has anyone else tried it?

Do you find it sooooo different from the 10yo, too?

Tom
Gold Member

Postby Tom » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:10 pm

havent tried it, but after reading your tasting notes i sure will look for it, sounds like a great one to me.

lucabeer

Postby lucabeer » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:30 pm

I don't know...

Personally, I find it a bit too sour... As if the dryness of the sherry weren't completely balanced with the peaty and malty base of the typical Longrow flavours.

It's strange... I can't help drinking more and try to understand why thisk whisky tastes SO different from all the other sherried expressions of peaty malts I have tried... but I always fail.

I don't like this malt too much so far... actually, it's a bit of a disappointment... but it sure is unique: no other malt (I have tried 50) is similar in its weird sour/sherried effect. Certainly the opposite of Macallan's dried raisins sherry, or of Lagavulin Distillers Edition's sweetness.

Tom
Gold Member

Postby Tom » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:04 pm

ouch, i was hoping the dry sherry and light peat would make it great, not sour, i'll still look for it though, sherry/peat is great combo for me

SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:17 pm

Note to self:

Buy one.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”