BENROMACH Traditional

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Swanny

BENROMACH Traditional

Postby Swanny » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:41 am

I´m coming home soon and noticed BENROMACH Traditional in the magazine.
Has anyone tasted it?
I once drank the 12year old expression from a visit to Elgin and wondered why they discontinued it for the older 15yrs. Does the traditional come anywhere near this.
I HAVE READ THE NOTES, BUT WOULD ENJOY OTHERS THOUGHTS.

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:36 am

I've seen it advertised coming to our liquor stores in a couple of weeks. I'm hesitant to splash out $55 cdn on a bottle with no age statement however.

hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:01 am

If this is the new Benromach since G&McP bought and reopened the distillery, I just tried their 6yo 1998 bottling at a show and while it shows some promise, right now it is just too young. Worth trying at a tasting or buying as a collector's bottle (perhaps) but not great for drinking. Not terrible or anything but needs more time in the barrel IMO.

Harry

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:51 pm

I tasted it a short while ago with a fresh palate. I found an initial blast of peat (which surprised me) that completly vanished in the finish but was replaced by loads of dry malt.

I really liked it and will be buying a bottle as soon as it becomes available here.

hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:54 pm

Darn it, now you have me wanting to buy one here! It's available, and just $55 a bottle too.... I'd decided I didn't want one but now... If I buy it and don't like it I guess I know where to send it :P

You guys are no help, no help at all :lol:

Harry

Swanny

Postby Swanny » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:29 pm

It was hard work but I finally tracked a tasting down whilst in Edinburgh recently. :) Yes I liked it not quick the 12yro I so enjoyed, but just the thing for a Sunday lunch (a big thing in Sao Paulo). Unfortunetly I had already bought too much in the early Christmas sales at Scot-mid and Asda.
But it's on my shopping list from family visiting.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”