Some Bourbon Xmas gifts..

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
talisker10
Silver Member

Some Bourbon Xmas gifts..

Postby talisker10 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:25 pm

I was fortunate enough to get three nice bourbons from my wife and her family for Xmas.

George T. Stagg 2010 release (NAS, but I believe it is 17 yo)..
144 proof, and believe it or not only a small amount of burn on the way down. I find that to get ride of that small burn, one small ice cube does the trick. This stuff is dark, thick, and delicious. Nose reminds me of a nice old library full of wood and old leather chairs. Taste, I get coffee, maple syrup, cinammon, and the distinct taste of cherries. Fantastic stuff. I had a bottle of the 2009 WL Weller. but believe I like this better.

Four Roses Small Batch..a very, very good affordable bourbon. Very, very smooth but flavorful. I get a bit of rye spice, then caramel and coconut!

Black Maple Hill Small Batch..the most surprising. I swear it has a similarity to a Highland SMS. It is a bit smoky, buttery, and has some citrus overtones. Very, very good and I would say the most easy drinking of the three.

The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Re: Some Bourbon Xmas gifts..

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:10 pm

Very nice trio of American whiskies there, t10. :thumbsup:

talisker10
Silver Member

Re: Some Bourbon Xmas gifts..

Postby talisker10 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:32 pm

Black Maple Hill is another one of those strange things about American whiskey where a company has someone else distill the product. I think this is distilled by Heaven Hill and is rumored to be about 7-8 years. It is bottled by the BMH folks, owned by CVI Brands. At Spec's in Houston it runs about $38.

Return to “Whisky Tastings”