Glen Elgin Live Tasting June 19th 2010

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Re: Glen Elgin Live Tasting June 19th 2010

Postby MacDeffe » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:22 am

Glen Elgin 25yo 43.8% The Nectar of the Daily Drams 1984-2010

Glen Elgin 25yo 42.3% Bladnoch Forum Bottling

Both are really excellent bottlings, both notable for their very low alc. %

I'll have to tasting notes tomorrow morning, palate not the best right now :oops:

/Macdeffe

The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:27 am

Only a pair of examples here to contribute. So, without any further ado...

Glen Elgin 12 Year Old (Hidden Malts) - 43%ABV

Medium gold. Clean, spring-like fragrance with honeyed overtones. Ever so slightly perfumed, as though some essential oils and hints of copper are creeping into the picture from somewhere. Yet the aroma retains its overall sense of freshness. Nice balance of delicacy and crunch as well as of sweetness and dryness on the palate. Very quaffable, with greater fruitiness (quite rhubarb-like tonight) appearing on the finish.

Glen Elgin 16 Year Old - 58.5%ABV

Deeper gold. Rounder and weightier on the nose, with sherried nuances of orange zest and sultanas adding a top layer of richness. Borderline sensational palate overture. Warming and dense, though not in the least overblown. I think this may be as close to a good Balvenie as any Diageo malt has dared to come. Everything is there, and in perfect proportion. Only the moderately short finish counts as a slight disappointment.

By the way, wasn't that a fantastic 3rd Round at the U.S. Open? :thumbsup:

MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby MacDeffe » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:59 am

Glen Elgin 25yo 42.3% Bladnoch Forum Bottling

Nose : Flowers, Vanilla, Sugar, like walking in the meadows
Palate : more sweetness, liquified sweet candies, medium woodspicyness, could have been more when you consider the age
Finish : slight bitterness and medium length
Score : 89

Glen Elgin 25yo 43.8% The Nectar of the Daily Drams 1984-2010
Nose : Not the most powerful, but there's a delightful spicy sweetness somewhere there. Mind you, I got hayfever, so nosing a whisky might not justify the whisky for me, its just one month every year I have to get thru
Palate : This is more intense. Delightful spicyness, vanillasugar and cinnamon, nice balance between wood and these sweet spices
Finish : long
Score : 93

Return to “Whisky Tastings”