Jolly Toper Whisky tasting 30.8.18

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.
Jolly Toper
Bronze Member

Jolly Toper Whisky tasting 30.8.18

Postby Jolly Toper » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:16 pm

Next tasting - Thursday 30th August 2018 £25 7:30pm

Proposed line up (there might be some tweeks depending on luck)

Clynelish 2008 Signatory Bourbon cask 46%

Now and Then - the same dram bottled decades apart - is there a difference?

Top Secret but I can say distilled 1979

Something peaty probably cask strength Ardmore 8yo

Tasting will run every 3 weeks from the above date until Christmas.

Jolly Toper
Bronze Member

Re: Jolly Toper Whisky tasting 30.8.18

Postby Jolly Toper » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:18 am

So as long as it doesn't sell out the secret dram we'll be trying is the Royal Mile Whiskies 1979 Berry Brothers & Rudd 38yo single cask blend.

Jolly Toper
Bronze Member

Postby Jolly Toper » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:02 pm

So we're back on again for pouring the Berry Brothers and Rudd 1979 single cask blend at this coming Thursday's tasting thanks to the generosity of our fellow Toper (he wishes to remain anonymous - thanks Scott Jackson). There had been a bit of a blip in the supply of the this lovely sherried 38yo which meant I had to rearrange the lineup however Scott has generously come to the rescue and has 'leant' us his bottle. This kind of kind is what whisky should be about - pouring and sharing, not hording and capitalising. Having said that I'll be making money from this. Ahem. Moving swiftly onward. The bottling was voted 'Best in Show' at this year's Royal Mile Whiskies Whisky Fringe and got a great review from Angus Macraild too. It'll be joined by another 'Then & Now' where we blind compare 2 drams bottled decades apart to see if modern methods out perform older practice. We'll also have Barman's Choice's beau- a Clynelish, this ecpression is a 46% Signatory unchill-filtered expression. Finally we'll try the recent addition to the Port Askaig range - a typically peaty 14yo at 46%. Please share in order to get the remaining tickets sold.

http://www.whiskyfun.com/2018/Further-mixed-pairs.html

Jolly Toper
Bronze Member

Postby Jolly Toper » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:40 pm

So from time to time attendees at the tastings are given a feedback from, peole are given the chance to score the dram on a scale of 0 to 9, votes are shown as a percentage - 100% would result in everyone giving the whisky the highest possible mark and 0% would be when no one gave the dram any marks at all. Generally 70%+ is an excellent score and only appears once in a blue moon. So here are the reuslts for this tasting:
Dram 1 Bells - the current version : not a record low but a grim 22% : 111222222223334'. 'Smells better than it tastes', 'ok for a hot toddy', 'too young and spirity', 'no nose', 'bland taste, but it's still a whisky, not my go to', 'sour with water', 'easy to drink', 'funky, a bit odd, growing on me after 10 minutes, moments of genius shine through a mostly tired dram'.
Dram 2 Bells 26 2/3 fluid annouces (so bottled about 40 years ago) better than the modern bottlng but still pretty poor: 112222233344444 : 28%. 'Better than the current version', 'more depth, nutty, walnut/banana loaf', 'better than 1', 'smells like caramel', 'more wine-ish/sour with time'.
Dram 3 Henry McKenna single cask Bourbon 50% US exclusive. Despite strongly appealing to Jim Murray this only managed a modest 34% : 000233344445558. 'Fennel/aniseed, I'm not a fan, tingly & sweet', 'I'd pour it away if you bought it for me but as I paid for it I'm going to drink it', 'hard to make sense of but intriguing, quite delightful', 'lovely nose, a bit too strong at first but better after a while & with water', 'the more I drink it the more I like it', 'outstanding', 'holds balance very well, just a really well constructed dram'.
Dram 4 BBR/RMW 1979 single cask blend 38yo. Best of the night 444455566666788 : 58%.'Sweet. I like it', 'sweet but still a little feisty', 'baclava, tropical fruit, orange, walnut, sultanas, light spice cardamom, all rounder', 'thank you, a wonderful dram', 'good all rounder, a drinking whisky', 'would drink this all day', 'juicy fruit', 'salted caramel, yum', 'nice balance, rich nuttiness, brandy soaked raisins and dates, sherry trifle, never too sweet :)'.
Dram 5 Port Askaig 14yo 45.8% single Islay malt. 123344456666677: 48% - again modest. 'Smells nicer than it tastes', 'peaty but still quite light, I'd nick the dregs', 'over right banana, off milk, lemon pith, I like it I think, Ardbeg?', 'bitter back palate but otherwise (very) good', 'it's alright', 'mermaid pee, pretty dull, standard modern Islay/Caol Ila :('.

Return to “Whisky Events”