NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

General chat and talk about whisky.
mudhi515

Re: NEW MEMBERS - INTRODUCTION AREA

Postby mudhi515 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:28 am

Hi Guys!

So I've only just joined the forum today. Only really started enjoying whisky over the last year, so I'm pretty new to this. I'm from Auckland New Zealand.

DavidTheDutchman

Postby DavidTheDutchman » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:25 pm

Hello! My name is David, I am a 25 year old recently graduated filmmaker from The Netherlands.
I would like to share my short graduation documentary film about an independent Dutch whiskymaker in the process of creating his very first whisky. The film is really aimed at knowledgeable whisky aficionados, that's why I turn you folks to get honest feedback.

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Cheers!

madonetwo

Postby madonetwo » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:20 pm

Hi, I'm Madonetwo. I'm a female, married, retired. My father-in-law introduced me to Scotch in 1975. Prior to that I only knew Bourbon. Currently my husband and I meet with another couple every other week at 5 PM for "Scotch night". This has been great fun for us. We gather at one home or the other and put out ~ 4 bottles to taste. I am NOT a heavy drinker so, by taste, I mean a mouthful for me. Of all the scotch blends and singles I've tasted I am captured most by Highland Park 18. When you see this you will know that I don't have a taste for heavy peat. My husband seems to really like those but I'm just not able to get into it. Don't yell at me, but I really like scotch with soda. When drinking a top shelf single I do put 2-3 drops of water in it but NO soda and NO ice. My reason for being here is to make some nice friends and to see if I can get some suggestions for other bottles to share that are in the realm of HP 18. I did taste our friend's Speyside but I don't remember the name of it and it was good.Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing from you. When investing in a great single I just can't go in the direction of heavy peat, if that helps you in sending me your recommendations. :)

madonetwo

Postby madonetwo » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:26 pm

Hi, I thought I posted an intro but it appears to have been lost. I'm obviously new here. Female, married. We are meeting with another couple every 2 weeks for Scotch tasting. Over my 30 years of drinking Scotch I've found I am not so fond of smoke and peat. Currently I favor Highland Park 18 or lesser so, the 12. I'd love to receive recommendations for the smoother, less peaty singles that you might want to offer. I had a Speyside recently that was rather nice. Thank you and hello, again.

sadikasimi

Postby sadikasimi » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:01 pm

I am also new here and I see it's very nice forum.

tastethedram

Postby tastethedram » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:24 pm

Hey guys,

Big fan of the Forums. Have been browsing for a little while. My gf and I love all things scotch with occasional Bourbon.

Some of our favorites that we love and own are Bowmore 25, Springbank 18, Scapa 16, Ghosted Reserve 26.

Looking forward to being a productive member.

YourScotlandTour

Postby YourScotlandTour » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi,

I'm Ross :-) Scottish born and bred, been drinking whisky since I can't remember when. I believe my fist taste was age 4 on my fathers knee...he'd probably go to jail for that nowadays!!

I Recently popped into Glen Garioch for a visit and enjoyed the tour there - despite doing loads of tours I find there's always a little something new to learn!

I'm a long standing member of the scotch malt whisky society, I've recently started a tour company focussing on whisky distillery day trips and multi day trips into speyside and the rest of Scotland. Happy to help people get around and develop itineraries too :-)

Sorry this is such a shameless advert, I didn't really want it to be :-/

BarneyBeans

Postby BarneyBeans » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:21 am

Saludos!

I've been a whisky drinker since I was 13, raiding my parent’s liqour cabinet (they really didn’t drink just had it on hand) J&B, Segrams 7, VO and Canadian Club. Also during holidays on my fathers side his family were huge booze hounds, which is where I met Dewars and Soda.

I started working in restaurants and bars @ the ripe old age of 17 and started getting into Johnnie Black, Chivas 12 and their Royal Salute when I could get my hands on it. But Dewars was always the all time favourite.

Once making decent money I started hitting the single malts and have tried a bunch. First was Macallans at Keen’s Chophouse in midtown. I was hooked.

As another poster mentioned one of the advantages of getting older is the ability to afford good whisky. But I rarely spend the super big bucks, maybe about once a year I’ll spring for a bottle of 25 year Macallan or a high end 17/18 Japanese Hibiki/Yamazaki, hell I even enjoy Johnny Blue when I can score a liter duty free for $150USD.

I’m not really pigeon holed into any type of whiskey and do like a variety depending on the season, mood, where I am etc… Working in a few good bars I have tried some decent bourbons, neat or with a little ice and they never really do it for me. Some of my good friends are the opposite and can never be found without Bookers or Woffords and some of the other big ones.

My basic day to day is Glenmorangie Madera or Sherry wood and for something a bit bolder I go Balvenie Doublewood. When I am up for it a few times a month Lagavulin is something special, especially now that I have 6 bottles left of the old vintage purchased in 2006. A strong peat bomb that just makes my mouth and my senses go to a place that reminds me of 1988. Good times!

Other big scotches I like are Bowmore or Ardberg - Talisker if I am out and there is none of the former two. But I don’t really keep these on hand and prefer to go with the new Lagavulin which arguably is not bad at all – but Lagavulin should have kept the old recipe and started a new 16 bottling calling it something different like LagaLite :) .

I drink wine with just about every prepared meal, home or restaurant, white or red depending on the meal and mood and have been somewhat of a sommelier in a few restaurants I have worked in although never certified.

Upon turning 27 I rekindled a Wall Street career but this time in IT. I moved out of the good old USA in 2003 and never looked back although I visit about 4-5 times a year.

I have been collecting cigars since 1995 and have two large humidors holding approximately 85 boxes, some of which date back to 1987. But truth be told I only smoke about 1 cigar a month. That’s the way I roll.

Kenny Blaze

Postby Kenny Blaze » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:25 pm

:coffee: Thank you for welcoming me to the pot! :smoke:

ScotInPhilippines

Postby ScotInPhilippines » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:23 pm

Glaswegian who ended up in the Philippines by accident four years ago and has been happily stuck here since. I drink for a living. Own a small bar here that stocks a range of Scottish whiskies, which I wish the punters would leave alone. Various nationalities keep disturbing my sessions with questions about Scottish whisky. I joined the forum to do just enough reading to answer their questions, in the hope that they might then let me enjoy my whisky in peace.

Jack_Jones

Postby Jack_Jones » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:18 pm

Hey Guys i am Jack and i am new here. I just want to say hi to all of you :D

watchesxwhisky

Postby watchesxwhisky » Mon May 08, 2017 12:31 pm

Hi Whisky Mag forum.

My name is Trav and today I joined the forum!

I joined the forum because I am passionate about and share content on whisky (and watches). I love whisky, love hearing special tales involving whisky and believe Drammers are Jammers!

Can't wait to explore peoples stories, journeys and views.

Cheers
Trav
watchesxwhisky.com

Whisky galore

Postby Whisky galore » Tue May 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Hello Forum,

My name is Keith Hewitt, I live in West Lothian I have been a collector for over 30 years having purchased my first bottle at Jenners in Edinburgh....a Black Bowmore 93. I have over 400 bottles and 3 casks. My expertise is everything Whisky Galore and the ss Politician. I have a large collection of artefacts including bottles from the wreck. I have conducted talks on the true story at numerous venues across Scotland, Monaco and New Zealand, so I may well have been in your company in the past.
Look forward to being an active member of the forum

Regards
Keith

SoMK
Gold Member

Postby SoMK » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi there, it has been a long time since I posted on this forum so, I'll introduce myself again. Still in my 50s, I was living in Canada but moved to Europe (France) last year and am now looking forward moving to Scotland starting with a long trip in November :p
The older I grow, the closer to whisky I go!
I am an old time fan of whisky, partly collector because I don't drink fast enough and a tad lost with all the new things (horrendously priced I might add) that I saw sprouting over the last 10 years... :roll:
so.... Hi all!

Return to “Whisky Chat”