What are you drinking now?

General chat and talk about whisky.
S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member

Still dramming tonight...

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:32 am

Couldn't resist dramming an MJ 70 pt rated dram... A Deanston 12 yr OB from a bottle I've had about 10 yrs which is about 20% full. It's improved over the years. Honey, soft mint, sweet grassy notes, and a bit of candle wax. Not complex but quite pleasant on the palate... in short, enjoyable. When I first opened the bottle, I agreed with his rating... now, with time and breathing/oxidation, I'd move it up to a 79-80. Now, I'll have to "dig out" my 17 yr old OB bottle to determine how it's evolved over time. It's been about six years since I've drammed it. Well, something for the next session, I guess... That's it for tonight...

Slainte!

S'tan

Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:05 am

To you MJ- La Chaim...Also in theme. a malt that has improved with oxidation (although six months, not ten years!!). Kockando 1990..the harsh sourness has turned to lemons, other citrus. A sweet maltiness is now evident, it is becoming almost elegant and smooth, much like a 1989 that I enjoyed on the shelf of a restaurant last year.

Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:53 pm

Lagavulin 16 Yrs. :D

Jan
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:50 pm

I'm having a Highland Park 1991 G&M Cask.

Great dram & superintense dram. Are replaced by a '95 edition - snap this up if you see it at a resonable price....

Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:01 pm

Score 72 August 31, 2007. Given that Michael Jackson died yesterday, open this one in his honor. He scored this far higher than some other reviews I have read, so perhaps I will enjoy this as much as he did. I also am a closet (well, not so closeted) Glenfiddich fan. How uncool is that? Of course this is just the first tasting, and the bottle will have to breath, so thoughts and notes are tentative. Nose: Malty, cookies, grapey sherry. Soft, not too assertive. Decent. After a while, something more assertive, almost industrial. Mouth: Very thin, and a bit odd. Muddled, hard to tease much apart. Some malts where you have a hard time picking up individual tastes I would describe as integrated; this is just muddled, grabbled, mushy. Mid palate there is a bit of malty sweetness, which is the strength of the drink, perhaps a bit of the Glenfiddich honey. There is some peat smoke at the end of the mouth, and that moves into a sort of bitter chocolate finish. Maybe burned chocolate, a bit sour. Long, but I am wishing it was not so long. For the first score, going to have to call this below average- the anti Solera Reserve, which allows you to pick out each flavor with ease. Hopefully oxidation treats this one kindly. I think I am making it out to be worse than it is; it is drinkable for sure. Maybe I don't agree with all of MJs ratings, and certainly not on this one, but I can still lift this glass in gratitude, and it somehow tastes pretty good.

Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:31 pm

Had a bit of a Bunnie night tonite , started with Sukhinders excellent SMoS 1979 27yo (@46%) , so good i've order another one for the cupboard.....
Then onto the 12yo O.b. , good stuff !
Slainte Michael you'll be missed !!!
Mark , i Bet Michaels advising the Angels which share is the best to have by now , probably already busy on the first edition of "The Angel Shares Companion"......

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

No more electrical wiring tonight

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:52 pm

Oban 14 yo OB with a very good friend who couldn't make it over last night to toast Michael's memory. Followed by a dram of PE. Next, I think will be a Macallan from the collection. AFter that, who knows!

Muskrat

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:05 pm

Saline solution for my sinuses, the cause of my vertigo problems.

Nose: Salty. No doubt this was matured in a seaside warehouse.

Palate: Well, actually, I just nosed it.

Finish: Runny.

shoganai
Silver Member

Postby shoganai » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:29 am

Drrich1965 wrote:Score 72 August 31, 2007. Given that Michael Jackson died yesterday, open this one in his honor. He scored this far higher than some other reviews I have read, so perhaps I will enjoy this as much as he did. I also am a closet (well, not so closeted) Glenfiddich fan. How uncool is that? Of course this is just the first tasting, and the bottle will have to breath, so thoughts and notes are tentative. Nose: Malty, cookies, grapey sherry. Soft, not too assertive. Decent. After a while, something more assertive, almost industrial. Mouth: Very thin, and a bit odd. Muddled, hard to tease much apart. Some malts where you have a hard time picking up individual tastes I would describe as integrated; this is just muddled, grabbled, mushy. Mid palate there is a bit of malty sweetness, which is the strength of the drink, perhaps a bit of the Glenfiddich honey. There is some peat smoke at the end of the mouth, and that moves into a sort of bitter chocolate finish. Maybe burned chocolate, a bit sour. Long, but I am wishing it was not so long. For the first score, going to have to call this below average- the anti Solera Reserve, which allows you to pick out each flavor with ease. Hopefully oxidation treats this one kindly. I think I am making it out to be worse than it is; it is drinkable for sure. Maybe I don't agree with all of MJs ratings, and certainly not on this one, but I can still lift this glass in gratitude, and it somehow tastes pretty good.

We supposed to guess what you're drinking?

Glenfiddich Rare Collection 40 YO?

MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:26 am

Spirit of Islay wrote:Mark , i Bet Michaels advising the Angels which share is the best to have by now , probably already busy on the first edition of "The Angel Shares Companion"......

That's a great line...if you don't mind, I'll quote it in this weekend's episode!

Mark

hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:48 am

Camping this past week I found another whisky my wife enjoys, Bunnahabhain 12yo! She quite liked it and had a few drams in a row. Hopefully the LCBO will stock it soon... Ardbeg Beist on the other hand, the one called 'feminine' at the distillery she nosed but would not try.

Right now I'm dramming a Bunnahabhain I don't think she'll drink, the 1997 9yo cask strength by Signatory, bottle #443 of 585 from refill sherry butt #5277 (distilled 1/12/1997, bottled 4/4/2007), 59.1%. The tins nor the bottles say it but the cases do, "HEAVILY PEATED" and they aren't kidding. So far I'm not convinced on this one; while it is a nice peaty, sherried whisky I'm not finding much Bunnahabhain under the peat and sherry neat. Resorting to water I do find some Bunny under there, which will perhaps come out with airing. I shall reserve final judgement here. Makes me want to compare it to some other peated and sherried whiskies on the shelf but I'll likely wait for this one to air out first. It isn't oversherried for sure, and it really isn't overpeated either but blind I don't think I'd have called this Bunnahabhain.

Harry

Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:41 am

shoganai wrote:
Drrich1965 wrote:Score 72 August 31, 2007. Given that Michael Jackson died yesterday, open this one in his honor. He scored this far higher than some other reviews I have read, so perhaps I will enjoy this as much as he did. I also am a closet (well, not so closeted) Glenfiddich fan. How uncool is that? Of course this is just the first tasting, and the bottle will have to breath, so thoughts and notes are tentative. Nose: Malty, cookies, grapey sherry. Soft, not too assertive. Decent. After a while, something more assertive, almost industrial. Mouth: Very thin, and a bit odd. Muddled, hard to tease much apart. Some malts where you have a hard time picking up individual tastes I would describe as integrated; this is just muddled, grabbled, mushy. Mid palate there is a bit of malty sweetness, which is the strength of the drink, perhaps a bit of the Glenfiddich honey. There is some peat smoke at the end of the mouth, and that moves into a sort of bitter chocolate finish. Maybe burned chocolate, a bit sour. Long, but I am wishing it was not so long. For the first score, going to have to call this below average- the anti Solera Reserve, which allows you to pick out each flavor with ease. Hopefully oxidation treats this one kindly. I think I am making it out to be worse than it is; it is drinkable for sure. Maybe I don't agree with all of MJs ratings, and certainly not on this one, but I can still lift this glass in gratitude, and it somehow tastes pretty good.

We supposed to guess what you're drinking?

Glenfiddich Rare Collection 40 YO?

What a dope I am! Forgot that part of the post. Nothing so romantic, and I certainly hope the 40 gets more than a 72..this is the Caoran Reserve 12yo..

Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:56 pm

No Problem Mark
Gordon

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:06 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Saline solution for my sinuses, the cause of my vertigo problems.

Nose: Salty. No doubt this was matured in a seaside warehouse.

Palate: Well, actually, I just nosed it.

Finish: Runny.

Is this available everywhere or just selected outlets. Is it a good year and would you reccomend it.

:) Hope you feel better.

hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:36 pm

Bunnahabhain 12yo 40% Burn Stewart and Bunnahabhain 1997/2007 9yo 59.1% heavily peated sherry butt matured. The heavily peated version is much better even today but I'm still preferring the standard 12yo! I know, revoke my peat head membership card now ;) The 9yo is a bit too young for a big butt (585 bottles) yet even refill sherry it was so active that I think it might have become oversherried if they'd left it in much longer. The distillery character is coming through now, neat, and hopefully it will stand up more with further airing out. Still two cracking drams.

Harry

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:43 pm

hpulley wrote:The 9yo is a bit too young for a big butt....

Kids these days just don't get enough exercise.

(Shame, shame on you, Mr Tattie Heid...)

Jan
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:00 pm

TH - that one was too easy - even for you :lol: :lol:

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:58 am

Was in the mood for a gin tonic, aahhh, hit the spot, with Bombay Sapphire, Schweppes Indian Tonic, and lemon. No lime, woulda preferred it though.

Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:19 am

a very wee dram of Tomintoul 25yo from D an M. Its early, but VERY nice...

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:40 am

Well, this is kind of scary.

I dropped by my local pusher's late this afternoon, wanting a bottle of wine for dinner, and also needing to get some beer in. On a whim, I picked up a bottle of Forty Creek Barrel Select from Kittling Ridge in Ontario.

I opened it after dinner. It has a nice sturdy plastic screwtop. No reason every bottle of whisky couldn't have the same.

It's really nice...not especially distinctive, I guess, but nice orange and anise notes, very pleasant and very drinkable. I'm getting to be a fan of this sort of young whisky aged in new wood, like the Edgefield malt I picked up in Oregon last month. It's just possible that I will learn to appreciate bourbon at some point.

The scary part? I paid $11.99 for it. That's about £6, Brits. The frodometer boggles! Makes you think that something you pay $60 or $80 for had better be pretty damn special.

S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member

Tonights Drams

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:53 am

Hello all:

Tonight, I've lined up the following: Lismore NAS (recent release, clear bottle), Old Pulteney 17 yr OB, Cadenhead's "Classic Campbeltown Pure Malt" NAS, Longrow 10 yr 100 pf (U.S. 50% ABV), and F&F Caol Ila 15 yr. I'm wondering how far I will get tonight with this lineup...

Slainte!

S'tan

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:03 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Makes you think that something you pay $60 or $80 for had better be pretty damn special.

That's generally what I want from a $60-$80 offering...
Last edited by Frodo on Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:05 am

Tonight, King of Scots Rare & Extra Old (12yr) blended Scotch whisky. At $45 underpriced. Cottony soft with some nice flavours at the end. Not for challanging oneself, but a mighty fine sippin' whisky.

hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:03 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
hpulley wrote:The 9yo is a bit too young for a big butt....

Kids these days just don't get enough exercise.

(Shame, shame on you, Mr Tattie Heid...)

Where's Sir Mixalot when you need him?

Harry

Dubois

Postby Dubois » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:28 pm

Highland Park 12 Yrs

lambda
Bronze Member

Postby lambda » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:05 pm

Strathisla 12. This is my second bottle after growing attached to the first one a while ago. It's somewhat sweeter than I remembered.. and the maltyness comes through nicely. A bit salty maybe. Very good.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:57 pm

Signatory Vintage Cask Strength Collection Brora, 1981/24, 59.3%, from a sherry butt, cask #1517, bottle #85 of 597. Oh what a dram...oily, and with that almost cinnamon-fireball buzz you sometimes get with a peaty whisky aged in sherry or port or red wine. Not a lot left; I'll have to put the rest into a sample bottle soon. Or drink it. Is it worth ten times the Forty Creek Barrel Select I had yesterday? Maybe not, in any sort of objective frodometric sense. But I'd pay the £63 I did for this again in a heartbeat, if I saw another one. If I get two more of the Forty Creek at $12 at the same time, I'll have three bottles of good whisky for an average price of $48. I can live with that.

jcasazza

Postby jcasazza » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:17 am

Tonight its going to be my first dram of Balvenie 10yo Founders reserve Followed by one of my everyday drams, Glenlivet 12yo

Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:30 am

Jan wrote:TH - that one was too easy - even for you :lol: :lol:

Hi Jan,
Thank you for all the recent inputting work you did on the tasting notes and FAQ/index section. That is certainly a very time consuming task.

Tonight, I am sipping an OMC Glen Grant 12 yo, distilled 1991, bottled 2004.

Kind regards,
Wendy

p.s. opps, I thought your signature would show up...but I see it doesn't which would make more sense of why I used the quote function...

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:49 am

Jan wrote:TH - that one was too easy - even for you :lol: :lol:

FAQ/index - recently updated with 500+ threads

1111 tasting notes posted by forum members

You can always paste it in, Wendy! I second your sentiment--the FAQ's and tasting notes are great browsing for any member, old or new. Thanks, Jan.

killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:02 am

a couple of blends tonight;
Whyte & Mackay SB, Grants Ale Cask & Famous Grouse.... all easy drinking scotches, not bad at all.

Dubois

Postby Dubois » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:58 pm

Balvenie Single Barrel 15 Yrs.

My favorite Balvenie :thumbsup:

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:13 pm

Wendy wrote:Tonight, I am sipping an OMC Glen Grant 12 yo, distilled 1991, bottled 2004

Wendy kindly let me try this bottling sometime before. Stunningly good!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:01 pm

The last wee dram of the Flora and Fauna 12y Rosebank. Bye, bye

Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:28 pm

Dubois wrote:Balvenie Single Barrel 15 Yrs.

My favorite Balvenie :thumbsup:

Yes, I liked my last bottle of this quite a bit.

Currently enjoying a particularly good bottle of the already great Ardbeg 10! Can't wait for the new 10yo to arrive, but it will have a tough act to follow.

Return to “Whisky Chat”