French whisky takes to the seas

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team
Administrator
Administrator

French whisky takes to the seas

Postby Administrator » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:28 am

French whisky Black Mountain has partnered with shipping company Trans Oceanic Wind Transport (TOWT) for a one-of-a-kind sea maturation
experience.

After departing from the banks of Bordeaux four months ago on May, 2 on board an old tuna seiner called "La Nébuleuse", a cask of Black Mountain No.2 has been transported to a magnificent English vessel, the "Greyhound Lugger" to continue its journey at sea between France, southern England and the Scilly isles.

The cask is to spend a total of six months out at sea, navigating through winds and tides; an exceptional adventure which is due to come to an end this fall.

The main goal of the whole operation is to experiment with sea maturation ­ the slow movements of the boat making the whisky gently swirl in the cask while temperature variations allow the wood to expand and contract ­ not to mention the sea spray which should also have an important impact on the whisky. 280 litres of spirit are currently travelling at sea, the amount of whisky that would be bottled for a future limited release!

Cédric Leprette, co-founder of Black Mountain, says, "I am extremely concerned about the environment, and so are my associates. I also like this conquering, adventurous, almost chivalric spirit! I find this whole collaboration with TOWT, reviving sailing merchant navy in 2015 and introducing the initiative as a pioneering concept, simply awesome."

Cédric also talks about a "kind of return to the roots of whisky; it was actually following transportation of the spirit in barrels within sailing boats towards the colonies that the British have discovered the positive impact of prolonged wood maturation on whisky."

Return to “Whisky News”