Angels' Share Glass founder meets former Dragon

News and announcements from the Whisky Magazine team
rebeccaparagraph

Angels' Share Glass founder meets former Dragon

Postby rebeccaparagraph » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:47 am

The founder of family firm Angels’ Share Glass has been taking some business tips from former Dragons Den star Theo Paphitis.

Karen Somerville was presented with a certificate by the entrepreneur at a special event after the company – which makes gifts for whisky lovers - was named a winner of his Small Business Sunday (#SBS) initiative.

Her son Cormac, 11, joined Karen for the day of networking, motivational speakers and a chat with the inspirational mentor himself at the SBS Winners Event in Birmingham.
They attended workshops and listened to advice from business leaders including Holly Tucker, founder of retail site Notonthehighstreet.com, and former accountant Mike Pickles who set up Really Useful Products providing a line of innovative storage boxes.

Karen says: “Winning #SBS was fantastic and the exposure was a huge boost for our business. It was great to have the chance to go along and meet other SBS winners and hear from experts in the business world who had lots of useful tips and advice to pass on. It was great to meet Theo in person and have a quick chat with him about what we do. He’s very supportive of small businesses like ours and celebrates the fact that they are the backbone of the British economy. All in all it was a worthwhile experience for me and particularly for Cormac who is already quite business-minded and was inspired by what Theo had to say.”

Cormac adds: “It was a really fun day out, I was wearing my suit and lots of people were coming up and asking me what type of business I was involved with. I told Theo a bit about the glassmaking company my mum and Papa run and how I’d like to set up a business of my own one day."

Stirling-based Angels' Share Glass was founded by Karen and her father, renowned glassmaker Tom Young, three years ago. The company creates innovative whisky-related glass gifts – all made by hand using traditional glassblowing methods – including a signature line of unique glass angels filled with malt whisky.

The firm was recognised by Theo Paphitis through Small Business Sunday where he picks out a handful of businesses from hundreds of entrants each week and gives them a boost on social media and a profile on his website. Angels’ Share Glass is also in the running for two business awards from Forth Valley Chamber of Commerce.

Last year, Karen won the organisation’s Entrepreneur of the Year Award and this year the firm has been shortlisted for Best Micro Business and Most Innovative Product for its unique Whisky Water Dropper. The award winners will be announced at a ceremony in Dunblane on March 24.

For more information on Angels' Share Glass, visit the website at http://www.angelsshareglass.com

Theo with Karen and Cormac.jpg
Cormac and Karen Somerville with former Dragons' Den star Theo Paphitis

Return to “Whisky News”