Bruichladdich is pleased to announce the installation of an unusual fifth still during recent still house renovations.
A Lomand still, a defunct experimental cross between a Coffey and a pot still, was designed with a thick column-like neck with removable sections inserted.
The aim was to create more character and variety of styles of spirit by imitating the effect that different lengths of still Ê»neckÊ¼ would have.
The versatile still had plates, like Roman blinds, which could be Ê»openedÊ¼ and varying the angle of the lyne arm for lighter or heavier spirit.
The first Lomand, a spirit still, was installed in 1956 at Inverleven, part of the ginormous Dumbarton grain distillery complex, on the banks of the Clyde.
Inverleven was closed in 1991 and razed in 2004. But not before the chaps at Bruichladdich nipped in and removed, among other things, the Lomand.
So, fittingly, the first shall be last: the original, the only authentic Lomand in existence, lives to fight another day.
True to its founding principal, it is being fitted with JimÊ¼s newly designed neck section, the "Silver Gattling".
It may be the only one of its type left, but sheÊ¼s no oil painting.
It is indeed a LomOnd and not a LomAnd :-)
For the news regading Port Charlotte, have a look here:
http://www.whisky-news.com/En/Report.html review of 2009.
They don't have anymore the money so the Lomond still planned for PC has been now moved to Bruichladdich in the meantime
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest