WHAT ARE YOU READING NOW? (whisky books only)

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

WHAT ARE YOU READING NOW? (whisky books only)

Postby The Dazzler » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:27 am

What are you reading now as far as whisky books? I am looking through a Whisky Mischellany by Iain Slinn and I find myself flicking forward looking for bits to read. I think the Jackson Companion is the best book out there at the moment, it has a wee bit of everything from history to how whisky is made and then the stuff on distilleries and tasting notes. Jim Murray, his bible is by far the most comprehensive as far as tasting notes from distilleries from around the world. (And up-to-date) The Whisky Year book is good as it reminds me of getting the Broons annual each Christmas. And Charlie MacLean is the best when it comes to history and knowledge of the industry.

Are there any smaller named books which should be reccomended, I have Pip Hills, Appreciating Whisky, Misako Udo, The Scottish Whisky Distilleries and The Making Of Scotch Whisky by John R Hume and Michael S Moss that I would reccomend as some lesser known books available.

Salinte!!

les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:32 am

Just started Aenas Macdonald's Whisky. Amazing to think it was first printed in 1930. He never used the pseudonym Aenas Macdonald again after writing this book. His real name was George Malcom Thomson.

:)

irishwhiskeychaser

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:15 am

les taylor wrote:Just started Aenas Macdonald's Whisky. Amazing to think it was first printed in 1930. He never used the pseudonym Aenas Macdonald again after writing this book. His real name was George Malcom Thomson.

Finished that a couple of weeks ago ... can't recomend it enough... handy sized book and nice easy read and still very relevant today.

Don't think I'd take it as my desert island book though, as Charles McClean suggests, as it is a bit too short for that.

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:45 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:
les taylor wrote:Just started Aenas Macdonald's Whisky. Amazing to think it was first printed in 1930. He never used the pseudonym Aenas Macdonald again after writing this book. His real name was George Malcom Thomson.

Finished that a couple of weeks ago ... can't recomend it enough... handy sized book and nice easy read and still very relevant today.

Don't think I'd take it as my desert island book though, as Charles McClean suggests, as it is a bit too short for that.

IWC it could be a very small Island that you're only going to spend a short period of time on. :wink:

Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Postby Ian Buxton » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:02 am

...or maybe Charlie MacLean is a very slow reader!

:mrgreen:

Haigblend

Postby Haigblend » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:13 pm

:P Yesterday bought myself a small book by Gavin D. Smith Whisky a Brief History published in 2007.
The book looks to me more intended for the novice.

There is some other stuff:

The Whisky Men
Gavin D. Smith

and

Peat, Smoke and Spirit (about the Islay whiskies, it's history, present and past of all the distilleries)
Andrew Jefford

I enjoyed them very much !!!!!

There is more to enjoy, not only in how one enjoy the taste, but also history :thumbsup:
Need some othet titles just let me know.

Haigblend
Holland

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:35 pm

Currently reading the latest issue of the Malt Advocate, WM Issye 64 and The Whisky River by Robin Laing.

corbuso
Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:24 am

Lawrence wrote:Currently reading the latest issue of the Malt Advocate, WM Issye 64 and The Whisky River by Robin Laing.

And enjoying the whisky river? I have ordered last week, but I don't really know what to expect.
Currently, trying to finish reading "Scotch: The liquid History" from MacLean, but the book is not the most motivating one to read and will be glad to start a new one.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:55 am

I now have a few unread whisky books, but due to work overload and time pressures, they are having to remain unread.

:(

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:04 am

"Just started Aenas Macdonald's Whisky. "

Les, how do you pronounce "Aenas?"

Methinks someone's parents were a tad unkind...not to mention "heinous"!

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:18 am

Reggaeblues wrote:"Just started Aenas Macdonald's Whisky. "

Les, how do you pronounce "Aenas?"

Methinks someone's parents were a tad unkind...not to mention "heinous"!

RB it's pronounced Aenas. :wink: His real name is George. Aenas was what he chose for himself. I've postponed my reading of it until my holiday later in the month.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:10 pm

Mr Picky sez that's spelled "Aeneas". Not at all sure of pronunciation, but would guess "N e s" (say the letters).

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:01 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Mr Picky sez that's spelled "Aeneas". Not at all sure of pronunciation, but would guess "N e s" (say the letters).

Mr Picky is quite right.

So would that be pronounced Ae Nes then?

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:41 pm

Say it out loud, Les: N e s. Enn-ee-ess.

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:35 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Say it out loud, Les: N e s. Enn-ee-ess.

So you mean N- E- S.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:19 pm

No, I mean N e s...accent on the first syllable. For all I know, though, it could be n A s. (No age statement!)

martin grant
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:52 am

Picked up a copy of Misako Udo's Scottish Whisky Distilleries book a few weeks ago. A great book, packed with information.

Perfect for the smallest room in the house

Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Oliver » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:12 pm

Back in Paris, I happened on a a box of old books from my youth, and am now reading the bluffers guide to Whisky. Prescient and very amusing!!
Anyone else read it?

LeoDLion
Gold Member

Re: WHAT ARE YOU READING NOW? (whisky books only)

Postby LeoDLion » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:01 pm

I have been waiting for Peat, Smoke and Spirit which I ordered from Amazon a month ago. They are out of stock and wont have any until next year Jan 2008.

I received my copy of Whisk(e?)y Magazine but I am reserving to read this in the plane on my way to San Francisco for the Christmas holiday with families.

hook55
Silver Member

Postby hook55 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:01 am

I'm reading 3 books the first is Michael Jackson's WHISKY World Guide, and Jim Murry's Bible 2006, ( Yes I know I'm behide the times!) the last one is Michael Jackson again the Whisky Companion, I am enjoying all three. (in between drinks of course.) :D :o

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:59 pm

I've been reading through my latest purchase. Michael Jackson's Whiskey - The Definitive World Guide, what a great book with some really good information. I'm enjoying it so far. :D

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:45 pm

I've recently gotten Kevin Erskine's book "Instant Expert's Guide to Single Malt Scotch, 2nd edition" and am looking very forward to diving in sometime soon.

Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:55 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Last night I finished reading Allen Andrews' The Whisky Barons. Great bios of Jimmy Buchanan and Tommy Dewar alongside a fascinating account of Francis Berry's role during the prohibition in the US.

Great book - can't understand why it's not better known. Unlike many others, it gives lots of previously unpublished info and a fresh, original approach. So many others just rehash Craig, Moss & Hume and a few other books.

dylanf84

Postby dylanf84 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:57 am

Michael Jackson's Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch 5th Edition. I'm going to buy the Whisky Bible 2008 and the Malt Whiskey Yearbook 2008 in the near future probably, so I can have the 3 most popular ones up on my bookshelf for my reading pleasure.

Maccy
Silver Member

Postby Maccy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:44 am

I am half way through Philip Hills' book Appreciating Whisky; and a very fine book it is indeed.

I've just picked one up called "The Whisky Men" which looks like a bit of an historical insight into the distilleries - I shall wait and see.

MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby MacDeffe » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:25 am

Bourbon, Straight

by Charles K. Cowdery

Good book about american whiskey, enlightning me about an area I didn't know much about

/Macdeffe

Maccy
Silver Member

Postby Maccy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:17 am

Alas, Appreciating whisky had to be returned to the library.

I recently finished "The Whisky Men" - lots and lots of information on distilling in the old days. I would say "a must" for anyone with a fairly recent historical interest in distilleries.

ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby ClubSmed » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:19 am

Maccy wrote:Alas, Appreciating whisky had to be returned to the library.

I managed to pick up a copy of this on eBay for under £30, am looking forward to my holiday to get stuck into it!
Until then I am dipping in and out of Ian Buxton's "101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die"

lbacha
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:00 pm

While not technically a book I did print them out and staple them together, I've been reading the distillery notes from the smwsa web site and they are quite a good read, it came out to about 100 pages and they have some very detailed descriptions, some are a little dated so watch out..

Len

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:40 am

99 drams of Whiskey
"The Accidental Hedonist's
Quest for the Perfect Shot And the
History of the Drink"

Meh! Really enjoying this bit of wit and whisky from Kate Hopkins.

Musky

fwrightson

Postby fwrightson » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:07 am

Just finished "Bad Whisky" by Edward Burns. Here is a quote from the back cover: "This is a unique insight into the Victorian scandal which raged at the endo the 19th century surrounding the adulteration of whisky in public houses throughout the UK. Returning to contemporary press reports and Hansard, Edward Burns masterfully unravels the scandal which eventually resulted in laws being passed which created safeguards for what is now known the world over as Scotch."

If you have a strong interest in the history of Scotch whisky, this is a book you should read.

lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby lincoln imp » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:26 pm

I see RolandoClit has done it again :headbang:

Hey Roland, what whisky books have you read, whats your favourite whisky read, juast curious thats all?

Return to “Whisky Books”