What is Tea-spooning?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Gold Member

What is Tea-spooning?

Postby Newbie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:50 pm

I've heard that certain companies have been tea-spooning their casks.

Is this where they would add a single tea-spoon of another malt so the cask no longer be called a single malt?

Why would they do this?

WhiskyViking
Bronze Member

Re: What is Tea-spooning?

Postby WhiskyViking » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:56 pm

You're correct about the adding bit.

It's done to stop casks sold for blending ending up bottled by an IB, to protect the brand name.

Gold Member

Postby Newbie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:09 pm

Surely they can get more money for a cask destined to be bottled as a single malt rather than for blending?

Whats to stop the bottler's simply bottling this cask as it is and call it a blend when in reality its 99.9% single malt. I would still happily buy that if I knew the identity of the 99.9% (and if it was cheaper as its a blend :P )

orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:17 pm

Newbie wrote:Surely they can get more money for a cask destined to be bottled as a single malt rather than for blending?

I think the negative impact from brand dilution outweighs the "single cask" or IB monetary gain. Most would argue that not all single casks are good, which is why Master Distillers get paid so much. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Plus, 95% (give or take) of the industry revenues are from blends (I know IWC knows the stats better than I, so some correction may be due) - take that away and the whole cost structure sizing for an individual distillery is thrown out of whack.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:25 am

I have seen an IB Balvenie and wonder whether this is a tea-spoined whisky that has just been labelled as a single malt.

kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:11 am

Hi there,

there was a 25 yo Balvenie from Cadenhead. If it is named Balvenie and labled as such then it is a single malt.

The IBs bought casks of distilleries who tea spoon today before the fashion of tea spooning became common. From this stock they can make independent bottlings. Quite old ones obviously.

But not anymore in some cases.

There is another way to prevent bad casks you made from tarnishing your good distillers name because some ill meaning independent bottler sells it (that being the reason given why they tea spoon at all).

Do not sell to IBs like Glenmorangie does.

Another one is not to make bad casks of whisky and sell them on, of course.

Greetings
kallaskander

Return to “Questions & Answers”