WILD TURKEY RUSSELL'S RESERVE opinions

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Zeno Marx

WILD TURKEY RUSSELL'S RESERVE opinions

Postby Zeno Marx » Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:21 am

I've heard good things about this one. Can anyone offer a review please? Is it worth a shot at a $20 price tag?

Gate
Silver Member

Postby Gate » Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:43 pm

The tasting notes on this very site (Dave Broom's in particular) are pretty accurate, IMO. Big, serious cigar bourbon. Not as good as the wonderful Rare Breed/1855 Reserve, but well worth 20 bucks of anybody's money.

Zeno Marx

Postby Zeno Marx » Tue May 06, 2003 10:08 pm

The first 2-4 days after I opened this bottle, I was happy and enthusiastic about Russell's Reserve. It was a full-flavored bourbon full of saddle leather and dusty flavors. I could taste it for minutes afterwards as well. But after those first few days, it progressively breathed itself into a very mediocre, almost "cheap" tasting whisky. I was baffled by how much the flavor changed over the three weeks I drank through this bottle. I can't honestly recommend this to anyone. If it held the flavors, I'd recommend this for any lover of bourbon. Unfortunately, it didn't, and I can't.

Gate
Silver Member

Postby Gate » Wed May 07, 2003 1:02 pm

That's sad to hear. My own experience of RR involved a bottle which got polished off inside 10 days, so I couldn't really say too much about the effect of being opened on the contents: I don't recall any discernible loss or real change of flavour, though. Is it possible you had a bad seal?

Return to “Questions & Answers”