Johnnie Walker Swing

All your whisky related questions answered here.
hook55
Silver Member

Johnnie Walker Swing

Postby hook55 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:38 am

Has anybody had JW Swing? I have seen it on the shelf next to all the other colours of JW and would like to try it but need to know first before I spend money I don't have. I have Green label and like it. Is it similar to Green or Gold?

randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Re: Johnnie Walker Swing

Postby randall fairbrook » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:54 am

Johnnie Walker Swing - named for the distinctive bottle, in which an irregular bottom allows it to rock back and forth. It was Alexander II's last blend: it features a high proportion of Speyside malts, complemented by malts from the northern Highlands and Islay, and is "almost as sweet as a bourbon."[5]

from wiki...

i have never heard of it myself

Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:22 am

Funny, I did not put my notes for this one on my speadsheet. I had a dram or two while in Peru, and i really did not like it at all. Thin, and almost bitter tasting. It actaully did not taste a great deal like whisky to me.

shoganai
Silver Member

Postby shoganai » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:37 am

I am about two drams into a bottle now and am fairly lukewarm on it. Profilewise, I actually think it's more in line with the Blue label than any of the others, although not nearly as good as the Blue. I wouldn't say it's "bitter" but definitely a little oaky for my taste. For the money, I would stick with the Green or the Gold which to me are the highlights of their range.

hook55
Silver Member

Postby hook55 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:24 am

Thank you all for your thoughts of Swing :D from what you have said it looks like I should stick with JW Green label. :) :thumbsup: so much better Whiskies out there.

bond
Gold Member

Postby bond » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:42 am

legend has it that this whisky was designed for sailors. the bottle would "swing" in choppy waters and not fall off the table!

hook55
Silver Member

Postby hook55 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:47 am

:) might be a reason just to buy one bottle just for having a different shape? might look good sitting in a display case? :)

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:22 am

bond wrote:legend has it that this whisky was designed for sailors. the bottle would "swing" in choppy waters and not fall off the table!

Not quite, it was designed for the ocean liners (Europe to North America) so that it would indeed 'swing' with the movement of the ship. Since the human eye is attracted to movement and all the other bottles are still you can see the advantage right off.

"I say old chap, I'll have a snifter of that stuff in bottle that's rocking"

shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby shulaw05 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:51 am

hook55 wrote:Thank you all for your thoughts of Swing :D from what you have said it looks like I should stick with JW Green label. :) :thumbsup: so much better Whiskies out there.

just my 2 cents, but i actually prefer gold label to green label (and prefer both to swing...i also prefer the dimple pinch to swing). have you tried gold lable? if not, i'd give that a shot and see how you think it compares to green label.

hook55
Silver Member

Postby hook55 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:18 am

shulaw05 wrote:
hook55 wrote:Thank you all for your thoughts of Swing :D from what you have said it looks like I should stick with JW Green label. :) :thumbsup: so much better Whiskies out there.

just my 2 cents, but i actually prefer gold label to green label (and prefer both to swing...i also prefer the dimple pinch to swing). have you tried gold lable? if not, i'd give that a shot and see how you think it compares to green label.

Thanks for that shulaw05 I might just buy Gold Label next time? compare the difference? would like to try Blue but it's too expensive for me (around$160us) at the moment I'm enjoying Balvenie Double wood 12y.o.

shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby shulaw05 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:04 pm

personally, i'd never buy blue. i got a bottle as a gift once, and i'm not saying it was bad, it wasn't...but green or gold are a much better value in my humble opinion. as for comparing green and gold...i'd say the gold is slightly less peaty/smoky, slightly more fruity and honey tastes to it. The gold is 'lighter' tasting in general too me. Both are great, i just prefer gold.

Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:28 am

Everybody knows by now that I love JW Gold Label. I cannot praise this blend enough, it is just one of my absolute favourite drinks. I should be a brand ambassador for JW Gold Label. I will work for free bottles and a set of Reidel crystal single malt glasses.

:P :D

Return to “Questions & Answers”