Securing your whisky

All your whisky related questions answered here.
jotter

Securing your whisky

Postby jotter » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:28 pm

Does anyone know of a supplier of high security cabinets? I've seen a number of tool cabinets or office cupboards but they all seem a little on the flimsy side.
Any ideas?

woodhill
Gold Member

Re: Securing your whisky

Postby woodhill » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:34 pm

Just out of interest who are you securing it against?

jotter

Postby jotter » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:38 pm

Well against break ins really. :wink:

les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:49 pm

jotter wrote:Well against break ins really. :wink:

Jotter have you had any break ins or whisky nicked?

jotter

Postby jotter » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:54 pm

Well no but i'd hate to see some of my irreplacable bottles be pinched or worse still drunk by some lags with no clue as to what it really is.

:D

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:10 pm

jotter wrote:Well no but i'd hate to see some of my irreplacable bottles be pinched or worse still drunk by some lags with no clue as to what it really is.

:D

Do you think the normal lag would know the difference between a Ledaig and for instance a Laga 30? I doubt it. There was a John Grisham film where they hid some vital documents yep you guessed in amongst a snow storm of paper. I reckon if you put the good stuff amongst the not so good stuff it should be quite safe.

I don't think many of the forum members apart from the hit squad thats being assembled to sort out Wave's collection do much raiding. :wink:

Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:17 pm

woodhill wrote:Just out of interest who are you securing it against?

As far as 'securing' ones scotch, I need to come up with an idea myself in the near future. I have two young children running around, so I'd feel much better with my whisky locked up. I have a decent cabinet now, but it has no lock, and display wise it stinks IMO. I can only display 10 bottles, plus my glasses. So if I come up with a design or an idea I'll let you all know. A good friend of mine is a custom woodworker, so he's working on ideas now.

woodhill
    Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:48 pm

I suppose it is time to re-ignite the whole "is your collection insured" thing.

:)

Ryguy
    Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:51 pm

Ganga wrote:Ever consider converting a closet? Build in the shelves and a dead bolt for the door.

Ganga, great idea. I have one handy to my dining room area as well. It's just hard to display anything from a closet, unless I put a different style door on it. That's something I'm going to have to think about. Thanks

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:56 pm

How about one of those wine fridges that locks???? Obviously, you'd have to get something that keeps the bottles upright and not necessarily at 8 or whatever degrees wine's stored at. Same idea though, no?? :)

Ryguy
    Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:12 pm

Di Blasi wrote:How about one of those wine fridges that locks???? Obviously, you'd have to get something that keeps the bottles upright and not necessarily at 8 or whatever degrees wine's stored at. Same idea though, no?? :)

Quite possibly the same idea. But I haven't seen many wine friges so I'm not quite sure. The only ones I have seen wouldn't have been big enough. But that doesn't mean there isn't one out there that could work.

Laphroaig
    Bronze Member

Postby Laphroaig » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:17 pm

Not to make light of your situation. It's kind of funny. May I suggest a good dog? Maybe not a St. Bernard, though, (don't they like whisky in that barrel around their neck?)

I suppose it would be no real major accomplishment to nick a good load of my small liquor cache but as a natural defense to this disorder some of us gents have, I believe the medical diagnosis is known as "The WIFE" ...they'd have to be some nickin' sons of guns to get the whole lot as my stuff is hidden... I mean neatly tucked away in so many different places I'm thinking they'd stop the search & rescue operation long before they'd be done!

Laphroaig
    Bronze Member

Postby Laphroaig » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:49 pm

No need to be modest, Mike. We know that's your party cart on wheels... ready to go in whim.

What you need is to add a motor, steering wheel, and comfortable seat cushion. :thumbsup:

Ryguy
    Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:50 pm

Collector57 wrote:
    ryguy wrote:
    woodhill wrote:Just out of interest who are you securing it against?

As far as 'securing' ones scotch, I need to come up with an idea myself in the near future. I have two young children running around, so I'd feel much better with my whisky locked up. I have a decent cabinet now, but it has no lock, and display wise it stinks IMO. I can only display 10 bottles, plus my glasses. So if I come up with a design or an idea I'll let you all know. A good friend of mine is a custom woodworker, so he's working on ideas now.

Look at mine now it has doors!!

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7289&p=113885#p113885

Nick,

I love the way you have your single malts displayed. I'm sure I could incorporate my closet into shelves with doors or a glass door of some sort. But my closet is quite small, so it's just a matter of me deciding exactly what I want, and how big.

I have to say it just one more time..wow what a nice display case you have there. :thumbsup:

woodhill
      Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:10 am

MikeyMad

I love the way you have floodlit your collection.

8)

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:19 am

A very good alternative would be a propper gun cabinet/safe. Unfortunately, they are grey, ugly and very expensive. The good news is that a the ones certified in Europe are tested to withstand professional break-in attempts for at least 10 minutes, the required weight is from 70 kg and upwards and they can be bolted to the floor. You will need an understanding wife and a pair of strong friends to mount it......

Aeolus

Postby Aeolus » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:26 pm

We have a little cabinet (storage space) built under the stairs (basically, just enclosed the underside of the stairs). I put a steel door and deadbolt lock on it and it works as a secure storage space. We also put a drape/curtain over that wall and you would never know anything is there.

Cheap, secure and hidden. :thumbsup:

randall fairbrook
      Gold Member

Postby randall fairbrook » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:34 am

gun safe
      and
      pit bull
      or
      angry feminist

r900p
      Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:50 am

I posted on this thread last night but my post never came up :headbang: Must have pressed something else other than submit!!!

I advise guns cabinets, the one my Father has takes 12, a separate pistol locker and cartridge locker. Loads of room. Good luck to anyone trying to get in. Great as general safes too, holiday securage for all important pictures. Only problem with a gun cabinet you can't get too many bottles in unless you put a shelf in, which may be hard, i suppose posts in the four corners then a floor on that.

Ps cabinets can be secured to an external wall, now to get the whisky you'd have to tow the house away too.

randall fairbrook wrote:gun safe
      and
      pit bull
      or
      angry feminist

My adjustments

gun safe
      and
      labs
      and
      ghost.

Rob

Gold Member

Postby Newbie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:28 am

Yeah I need somewhere to put my whisky!

Right now I have to hide mine everytime the girlfriend comes round! I've got whisky in my laundry basket, sports bag, under my bed, under my sofa, in my car.
      (Better not tell anyone where I live now you know all my hiding places...)

Its everywhere!!! She still thinks I only has a bottle of Ardbeg, Jamesons, JWB & Glenlivet :P

But she might notice a gun cabinet. Who buys a gun cabinet for whisky :shock: !?!?

If I put my whisky in it where would I put my guns :P

Gold Member

Postby Newbie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:06 pm

lawschooldrunk wrote:except don't call it an addiction. call it an appreciation.

Haha if I said that to her she'd probably slap me and say apreciate that.

I would tell her but things would get complicated, I rather keep my pecadillos just between us guys :wink:

Plus when she next goes on holiday I can ask her to buy me a bottle - she won't if she knew how many I've got!

Ryguy
      Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:17 pm

Ganga wrote:
      Newbie wrote:But she might notice a gun cabinet. Who buys a gun cabinet for whisky :shock: !?!?

Those that purchased the Ardbeg Double Barrel. :shock: :mrgreen:

For those who don't know what the Ardbeg Double Barrell is:

Ardbeg presents a truly innovative and luxurious creation of single cask bottlings - Ardbeg 'Double Barrel'. Inspired by the tradition of a shooting party, Ardbeg have created a 'Double Barrel' guncase, crafted by a traditional guncase maker. It contains:

- Two single cask bottles of Ardbeg 1974 - the oldest and rarest Ardbeg

- Eight sterling silver Hamilton & Inches drinking cups

- A bespoke oak and sterling silver Omas pen, complete with detailed Ardbeg engraving

- Two hand-stitched leather-bound books - a 'Sampling Register' with full tasting notes of the 1974 cask bottlings and 'Double Barrel', a quirky miscellany of Ardbeg single malt and shooting traditions

Only 250 of these exquisite cases exist anywhere in the world -The ultimate in luxury for the ultimate Islay Malt.

Price: £10000
      https://www.ardbeg.com/Shop.asp?Cat=16

:shock: :shock:

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:09 pm

ryguy wrote:
      Ganga wrote:
      Newbie wrote:But she might notice a gun cabinet. Who buys a gun cabinet for whisky :shock: !?!?

Those that purchased the Ardbeg Double Barrel. :shock: :mrgreen:

For those who don't know what the Ardbeg Double Barrell is:

Ardbeg presents a truly innovative and luxurious creation of single cask bottlings - Ardbeg 'Double Barrel'. Inspired by the tradition of a shooting party, Ardbeg have created a 'Double Barrel' guncase, crafted by a traditional guncase maker. It contains:

- Two single cask bottles of Ardbeg 1974 - the oldest and rarest Ardbeg

- Eight sterling silver Hamilton & Inches drinking cups

- A bespoke oak and sterling silver Omas pen, complete with detailed Ardbeg engraving

- Two hand-stitched leather-bound books - a 'Sampling Register' with full tasting notes of the 1974 cask bottlings and 'Double Barrel', a quirky miscellany of Ardbeg single malt and shooting traditions

Only 250 of these exquisite cases exist anywhere in the world -The ultimate in luxury for the ultimate Islay Malt.

Price: £10000
      https://www.ardbeg.com/Shop.asp?Cat=16

:shock: :shock:

It is nice, though

Ryguy
      Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:04 pm

Nick Brown wrote: It is nice, though

Yes it is. Sure would look nice at my house too! 8)

woodhill
      Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:08 pm

But would anyone ever actually drink it.

Seems pretty cheap to have the case and all it's fancy accessories and two EMPTY bottles of Ardbeg?

Ryguy
      Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:17 pm

woodhill wrote:But would anyone ever actually drink it.

Seems pretty cheap to have the case and all it's fancy accessories and two EMPTY bottles of Ardbeg?

You're right. One reason I wouldn't buy it is because I wouldn't be able to resist temptation. I'd want to see how damn good the stuff taste!! :D

woodhill
      Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:49 pm

Oh Great Nick Thanks.

Please PM me instantly with shop details and Ill get over there before anyone else nabs them.

Anyone after Samples etc. please contact me through the usual channels.

:roll: :roll: :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:05 pm

ryguy wrote:

You're right. One reason I wouldn't buy it is because I wouldn't be able to resist temptation. I'd want to see how damn good the stuff taste!! :D

And why not? I tried it at Whisky Live Glasgow and it was astonishingly good. The most memorable thing was that whilst the younger Ardbeg cask strength whiskies felt hot on the palate, this actually cooled the palate. There were flavours of orange, chocolate, icing sugar, coffee as I recall. It was very complex, quite sweet and had a finish that lasted forever.

Ryguy
      Triple Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:37 pm

Nick Brown wrote:
      ryguy wrote:

And why not? I tried it at Whisky Live Glasgow and it was astonishingly good. The most memorable thing was that whilst the younger Ardbeg cask strength whiskies felt hot on the palate, this actually cooled the palate. There were flavours of orange, chocolate, icing sugar, coffee as I recall. It was very complex, quite sweet and had a finish that lasted forever.

Thanks Nick for the explination. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Now that I'm extremely jealous, I'll go back to drinking my coffee (only 8:30am EST here).

irishwhiskeychaser

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:26 pm

So after all that ... where the hell do you put you guns :?

lincoln imp
      Silver Member

Postby lincoln imp » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Looking at the pictures here and on other threads it appears that many forum members display cartons/boxes along with the bottles. Am i in the minority as i only have the bottles out and put the cartons in the attic ( if its from a good bottle )? or even throw them out ( the ones i intend to drink ) i do put out a few wooden presentation boxes but i find they take up too much room. Are bottles better dispayed on their own or with the cartons. Any thoughts?

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:27 am

I keep all mine in their boxes until the day they die. Isn't whisky better kept in the dark? I also think the packaging is part of the joy of the collection. When something like the Glenlivet Eclipse comes without packaging I'm slightly dissappointed.

Like Nick though I do, keep the classic malts in the rack.
      Collector57 wrote:(apart from the Classic Malts which are in the official stand)

irishwhiskeychaser

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:16 am

No hard an fastened rule with me any more just sometimes too lazy ... if I'm dramming quite a bit out of a bottle the carton usually goes after the 3rd assault :wink:

However if I have something that I'm drinking slowly and really appreciating I usually leave it in it's box just to remind to be good and of course I'll have a few new unopened ones in there to tempt me to open them when the form takes me :thumbsup:

But generally I chuck them out

One positive about keeping them in their boxes is that people don't know how much your drinking :dead: And you can pretend to people that half of them are not open :wink:

hook55
      Silver Member

Postby hook55 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:27 am

:D I always keep mine in the wardrobe it's the safest place for me as the wife does not go near my side :lol: I leave the bottles in their boxes so no one knows have much i have drank? :wink:

Muskrat Portage
      Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:20 am

All my opens are out on display in The Lair. The sealed ones are safely tucked away in a locked cabinet.

I used to put them all out until Mrs. Musky sat at the bar, did a count, multiplied by 100 and said, "You've got about $ x of whisky". She was damned near dead on, so I'm not so eager to display them all anymore. The penalty I pay for being happily married to a very intelligent woman.

Considering she'll buy me very exceptional bottles of SM when she travels, with the proviso that I have to drink them, I'm a very lucky man.

Musky

Return to “Questions & Answers”