Securing your whisky

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Re: Securing your whisky

Postby Ryguy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:09 pm

I tend to keep a few bottles in their display boxes, but for the most part I throw them away. Mostly due to the fact that there's just not room. At some point in the near future I hope to have a picture up of my cabinet on the site here.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:09 pm

i hadn't really thought about this

maybe i should tot up what ive got

whisky is kept in the kitchen, pantry, lounge and attic - most expensive are in there!

might have to have a rethink

ash .

les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:39 pm

ash005 wrote:i hadn't really thought about this

whisky is kept in the kitchen, pantry, lounge and attic - most expensive are in there!

ash .

Ash the loft is not the best place to keep it. The extremes of hot in summer and cold in winter is not ideal conditions. :)

r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:49 pm

Les,

I used to live in the attic and i've handled the extremes in temperature pretty well :insane:

But my whisky has been stored in there too, summer/winter temps do adjust a lot, but changes in temp are only really twice a year, is this really likely to affect the whisky. I note a couple of mys tins have slight rust on the bottom.

Rob

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:52 pm

r900p wrote:Les,

I used to live in the attic and i've handled the extremes in temperature pretty well :insane:

But my whisky has been stored in there too, summer/winter temps do adjust a lot, but changes in temp are only really twice a year, is this really likely to affect the whisky. I note a couple of mys tins have slight rust on the bottom.

Rob

I guess that's more humidity than temperature?

irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:56 pm

ash005 wrote:i hadn't really thought about this

ash .

So basically you are telling us you have a problem ....

..... a bottle at hand in nearly every room :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I keep some of mine in the attic too and have checked the poor blighter's out in hot weather.

Plenty of Insulation it the key and should work. Basically just good solid cardboard boxes and cover with paper. It's amazing how cool they are in the hight of summer.

ErnestM

Postby ErnestM » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:02 pm

I recently had some Whisky stolen from my in-home-bar.

The cabinet lock I had was pretty light weight, but I didn't think that anyone was going to go at it with a crowbar. (Or something heavy duty. The whole thing is just ripped open.)

I am probably going to get a security camera, but if I want to put in a deadbolt on the new cabinet, I will have to do a lot of work for finding thick enough wood right?

I like the idea of a steel door with the curtain, but because the thieves now know it is there, I don't know. I think I just need a stronger lock.

Has anyone else come back from a theft with some security that they were happy with?

ErnestM

Postby ErnestM » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:48 pm

Update:

So I did not end up going with the steel door. The guy at the hardware store broke it down for me.

He said that it was going to be way harder to cut, shape, and install a deadbolt on. And that also, if someone was going to get through a thick wooden door with a nice finish, 12 gauge steel (all they had), would not be enough to stop them.

But I am still looking for locks.

I read this article http://united-locksmith.net/blog/how-mu ... -withstand, and it said that the strongest grading was a #1. It is just weird because I see that a lot of manufactures have products that have the #1 on them. I am thinking that they can't all be equal. (Especially with how different the prices are).

Ideally, I want something that can't be picked, and I just don't see that being something cheap.

Also, I don't know if it matters whether or not it is double sided... because it is a cabinet. Nothing is going to be opening it from the other side anyway. But maybe I am wrong. Could someone open it with a wire if there is just the thumb turn on the inside?

Any help with choosing a lock would be appreciated. What locks are other people using?

Return to “Questions & Answers”