Maker's Mark Black Label

All your whisky related questions answered here.
MacAttack80
Bronze Member

Maker's Mark Black Label

Postby MacAttack80 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:08 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows where I could purchase the Maker's Mark Black Label online. I can't find it in any stores here in upstate New York. I know its a discontinued bottling, but I like the Red Label so I figured it can't be that bad. Any tasting notes or the whereabouts of the Black Label is much appreciated.

Mac

Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Re: Maker's Mark Black Label

Postby Laphroaig » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:26 pm

If the bottle you speak is what I have in mind, my understanding is the product is not different than MM's standard release.

That may be wrong as I haven't actually tasted any, but that is what I have been told.

MacAttack80
Bronze Member

Postby MacAttack80 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:23 pm

Mikey,

I have seen it on the Whisky Exchange but I was hoping that since the product was made in the US I could buy it in the US. I checked every website I could find too and was unable to find it. As I am new at this whisk(e)y thing, I didn't know if there was any "super secret" site. Thanks.

Mac

MacAttack80
Bronze Member

Postby MacAttack80 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:27 pm

Laph,

Thanks for the info on the MM Black Seal. I will have to do a little more research on that. Some say they are the same and some say they are different. :? I guess there is only one way to find out.... :D

Mac

bond
Gold Member

Postby bond » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:55 am

I had been to a Makers Mark tasting session a few months ago.

This whisky was apparently produced only for one year, or maybe a couple at best. As per the brand ambassador, it was more a marketing ploy than anything else. He was pretty dismissive of the whisky and rated it sub-standard. Jim Murray though had rave reviews about the whisky.

MacAttack80
Bronze Member

Postby MacAttack80 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:37 pm

Bond,
Thanks for the info. I might have to see if its good myself. Two reviews on the opposite ends doesn't help too much. Thanks again.

Mac

irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:59 pm

[TASTINGNOTE2]
Td_ABV=47.5Td_Age=0Td_BottleNotes=-Td_Bottler=-Td_Brand=Maker's MarkTd_Expression=Black sealTd_NoteID=0Td_Region=-Td_Type=-Td_Vintage=0Tf_Cereal=0Tf_Feinty=0Tf_Floral=0Tf_Fruity=0Tf_Peaty=0Tf_Sulphury=0Tf_Winey=0Tf_Woody=0Tg_Glass=GlencairnTg_Ice=NoneTg_Water=NoneTm_MemberID=0Tm_MemberName=NoneTm_PostedDate=0Tn_Colour=-Tn_Comments=A whiskey to savour but I prefer the red seal over it. Tn_Finish=Good long finish Tn_Nose=Lovely light fruitcake mix smell to it with big sweetness to it.Tn_Palate=Very woody at times but the burst of spice with the sweet brown sugar and Liquorice make up for thatTn_Score=7.5[/TASTINGNOTE2]

irishwhiskeychaser

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:02 pm

Don't know what I did above as it did not work :lol:

Anyway my basic notes on MM Black Seal

Nose: Lovely light fruitcake mix smell to it with big sweetness to it.
Palate: Very woody at times but the burst of spice with the sweet brown sugar and Liquorice make up for that
Finish: Good long finish

Comments: A whiskey to savour but I prefer the red seal over it

MacAttack80
Bronze Member

Postby MacAttack80 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:34 pm

Thank you for the tasting notes. It sounds ok but I will probably save the money and stick with the red seal. I will have to buy a bottle of The Balvenie Doublewood with the extra cash :D

Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:34 pm

There are several guys (and gals) on straighbourbon.com who are extremly knoweldagle about bourbon- I would think you could find out for sure there..

irishwhiskeychaser

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:03 pm

Drrich1965 wrote:There are several guys (and gals) on straighbourbon.com who are extremly knoweldagle about bourbon- I would think you could find out for sure there..

Good call DR :thumbsup:

had forgotten about them ...

Return to “Questions & Answers”