what food with single malts

All your whisky related questions answered here.

what food with single malts

Postby culinaria » Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:47 pm

What food would everyone suggest be eaten with single malt scotches?/? need help here

Silver Member

Postby Oliver » Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:59 pm

Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Sat Aug 24, 2002 7:23 am

HAHAHAHAHA, thats just the perfect way to start the day Image

Silver Member

Postby Oliver » Sat Aug 24, 2002 5:19 pm

Kidding aside, here are a few suggestion re: pairing of singles with food.
These are just suggestions that have worked well for me:
--Macallan 12 or 15 with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.
--Macallan Gran Reserva with a really good warm creme brulee. (People usually serve these cold)
--Bowmore legend as a shot with fresh oysters.
--Dalwhinnie 15 with Artichokes
--Talisker 10 or Lagavullin 16 with Tuna and or Salmon Sushi.
--An older Glengoyne perhaps 17 with apple tart.
--And to paraphrase MJ, petit fours with Balvenie Port Wood 21. I also tried Balvenie Port Wood 21 with Mango Ice cream; really good.
--Highland park 18 with dark chocolate (or chocolate mousse)
--After dinner: Aberlour Abun'dah Cask Strength (sorry about the spelling)
--A good aperitif: Knockando 12
Hope this helps.
Let me know if you try any of these pairings, and how it turned out. Thanks.

Postby Nodin » Sat Aug 24, 2002 10:51 pm

I had a good experience with (believe it or not) Laphroaig 15 and fresh hot Tiramisu...who would of thought?

Silver Member

Postby Gate » Mon Aug 26, 2002 10:46 am

I have had and enjoyed Old Pulteney 12 y.o. with olives and cured meats, Bowmore (no idea which, Mariner at a guess) with a smoked fish platter, and Highland Park 12-old and Knockando (separate occasions!) with creme brulee. I even had Murree whisky with curry once (actually quite good - with water and ice). What whisky doesn't seem to work with, however, is coffee - IMO, the whisky just suffers.

Postby DLion8888 » Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:44 pm

Most recently, I always have a glass of single malt with whatever dinner I am having Image. And if not, then I will be having wine instead. I dont follow any rule but some common sense. If the food is hearty with heavy flavor like steak, I like something strong such as one of the Islays.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:51 pm

Hi Culinaria,

Try some malts with chocolate, or some mixed nuts, or some mixed dried tropical fruit. Some french cheeses are fine with some malt whiskies, just give it a try, it's a bit of an experimentation, just try and see for your self...

Silver Member

Postby Gate » Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:59 pm

Took Erik's tip about chcoloate and tried Old Potrero (OK, not Scotch, but it is malt rye and must count as a single) with bitter dark chocolate. Brilliant combination! I reckon it would work with a heavily peated Islay with lots of sherry wood too.

Postby wolfgang_fener » Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:36 pm

I got some interesting result with firm hard cheeses.

The ultimate cheese mix was a hard (not creamy at all) bleu named Benedictin made by some monk here in Quebec with an Ardbeg 10.

I surprised everybody bringing cheese to a small scotch tasting party but at the end there was no cheese left on the plate !

As a general rule, hard and strong cheese are better.

Silver Member

Postby WestVanDave » Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:21 am

'Thought I'd bring this thread back up - with mention of a favourite at our annual Burns dinner - a LAGAVULIN BREAD PUDDING Image!!!

At first intro from a friend we were mortified at the thought of doing anything with a Lag other than drinking it...but believe me, short of rolling around on a Twister mat with a keg's worth I would have to recommend the Lag Bread Pudding. Cheers, Dave.

Return to “Questions & Answers”