I have seen that this malt has picked up some medals at the last wine and spirit awards.
I have tasted this malt and it is quite good.
Am I mistaken if I say that this malt in reality is a Lagavulin 10 years old ?
I've got a bottle of this which i'm going to open at a chat later on , the only thing is just how is there so much (cheap) Lagavulin going around on the market ?
I know Laga's in production quite a bit (24/7 at most times ) but i was under the impression that 95% went into bond for SM and the other 5% went to various blendings (White horse , Black Bottle etc) . The only thing i would be wary off is that if you taste young Caol Ila it is very Smoky and peaty , try the SMWS bottlings they're crackers at 7/8yo .In a way someone on another posting threw a spanner in the works (Erik i think )in saying Diageo only sold Laga upto 5yo ! The other strange point of this is that not that long ago there was a panic that stocks of Lagavulin were going to dry up , if so why are they selling stock on ?
After trying other supermarket bottlings i'm looking forward to seeing which distillery this might have come from .
Tesco's offering (the old Glen Cairn and the newer Ardnave , did we throw a dart at a map of Islay to get this name?)comes from The Laddie , Morrisons seems to come from Bowmore . If you can try the Islay offering from Oddbins , a cracking 10yo (again i think its from Bowmore) . I'm off to my tasting , i'll post my findings on the safeway bottling at some point.
[This message has been edited by Spirit of Islay (edited 15 December 2002).]
On opening there is a hell of a smell of peat , there is a slight hint of smoke .It has a large peat taste and a long finish .
It tastes stronger than the 40% it says it is , at times it reminded me of the Conn.Choice Ardbeg 1990/11yo .I'm still not sure if its a laga it still reminds me too much of a young Caol Ila , still a nice dram for £15 , perhaps Michael Jackson should do a proper tasting comparison of the supermarket own labels?
You have been warned!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests