Whisky for my Wife

All your whisky related questions answered here.
sparky

Whisky for my Wife

Postby sparky » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:53 pm

I have convinced my wife to go to a whisky bar with me and I would like to find a single malt that will change her mind about the stuff. If there's a whisky for everyone, then please help me to choose some for her to taste. She's Irish and has a childhood association with whisky and "old drunk men." She is not a fan of Irish Whisky, but she used to like bourbon in her late teens. Recently she tried Woodford Reserve and was a but disappointed. She can't stand the Islay expressions that I have, but she did try Glenmorangie port wood and liked it, so I suppose that a lighter double cask might do. I was thinking Balvenie Doublewood or Dalmore, but I'm not sure. This one's a hard sell, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks. Sp.

vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:55 pm

if shes liked the morangie port wood finish, why not try sticking to that but going for somthing like the balvenie port wood finish, either the 91 or 93 vintages or the 21yo

sydfan

Postby sydfan » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:37 pm

My wife didn't like my Scotch at first either, but she is learning to appreciate it. I would stick with a Sherry Finish for her. My wife liked Aberlour 15 Year, Dalmore 12 Year and she likes my Highland Park 25 Year too. Try staying on the sweeter side.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:51 pm

How about something lighter?
Rosebank, Bladnoch

Wood finishes?
Bowmore Dawn or Dusk
Balvenie doublewood may also be OK as you suggest.

If you think she may prefer "Smooth", then
HP12, 18 or 25
Glenrothes, but older than 15y/o

Does she like Juniper / Gin?
Then if it's available, try her on a Penderyn!

Regards,
MT

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:03 pm

I think you should approach it as an exploration. Have her try a variety of things, to get an idea of the range of flavors, with the understanding that an open mind is to be kept throughout the process, which will take several sessions. Talk about what she likes/doesn't like about each one. She will prefer this to that, and something else to this; and after a while she will make her own choice: "I liked the Inchmore the best." And if you are lucky, she will begin to appreciate that variety is the spice of life. If you are really lucky, she will apply that only to whisky.

Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:59 pm

I agree with the Balvenie recommendation. If she liked bourbon it means she likes slightly sweet whiskey as bourbon being made with primarily corn is sweeter than scotch.

Balvenie being described as "probably the most honeyish" of the speyside malts is the best way to go. It is quite smooth the 10 is anyway. I can only imagine the 12 is even better and the 1991 Portwood must be great.

I highly suggest Balvenie. You must promise to tell us what she tried and her reactions. :P

kildalton
Silver Member

Postby kildalton » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:49 am

uhm...Some say that women love sweet whisky...
Why do not try with a sherry one?
Glenfarclas might be appropriate...

sparky

Postby sparky » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:02 am

Thanks for all of the suggestions. MTH you are funny! I will definitely have her try a sherry finish and maybe the Glenfarclas or Glenrothes. If I can get her to appreciate HP then I will be very happy indeed! I'll let you know how it goes.

Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:31 am

You could also try a lighter fruity whisky such as Bruichladdich 10 with its lovely smell and taste of overripe pear and butterscotch. It's made up of a 60% bourbon casks and 40% sherry casks but doesn't give away anything to suggest a clear characteristic of the casks. A perfect vatting if you ask me.

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:51 am

Or the overlooked Glengoyne 10y, which is completely smokeless, full of fruit, easy drinking and wonderful overall!! It's very easy to like too, so be careful! Make sure she saves some for you too sparky! And welcome to forums!!!

Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:27 am

I want to tell you that when I started to drink whisky which isn`t long ago I started with Lagavulin Ididn`t appreciate it but I keept trying different whiskies because they really were very different I found that old pultney 12 yo actully is a great whisky and Glenmorangie artisan cask too are whiskies that are highly enjoyable.
There`s alot of great whiskies out there.
If you want her to start liking whisky make sure you can proove that there are so many different whiskies. I think you should let her try three different whiskies for example old pultney , glen ord 12 yo and Highland park or you could make it glenmorangie and bruichladdich and auchentoshan 3wood or what ever you got on hand.
The glen ord was the single malt that really made me understand that whisky isn`t just whisky :) its so much more

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:40 pm

Great suggestions Ann-Helen! Those whiskies are all really nice, easy drinking and for someone who wants to ease into it, they should work well.

lexvo
Silver Member

Postby lexvo » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:24 pm

My suggestions:
Tobermory 10
Glenfarclas 17
Glenmorangie 10

All easy to drink, my wife likes these too.

Rory B Bellows

Postby Rory B Bellows » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:59 pm

I was given a bottle of Dalwhinnie DE for Christmas. I don't think much of it myself, but my girlfriend's friend tried it last night, and she said she liked it because it was "gentle". So maybe she would like it.

Rudy
Bronze Member

Postby Rudy » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:28 pm

Hi sparky,

Good luck trying!
I started my attemps with Rosebank, but unfortunately my wife has no interest in whisky at all.

Amongst the great suggestions already made, I’d add the standard Glenfiddich or Glenlivet, since they have a light palate.
You might even start with a blend like Black Label, to get her used to whisky at all.
I noticed that all the people I poured a dram to, 40% abv is quite a hurdle to take if they’re not used to drink anything stronger than wine.

Have fun,

Rudy

TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:49 am

Trying to change one's partner to fit in with one's own ideals. Isn't that what women do to us guys rather than the other way round?

You fell in love with the woman. Why change her?

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:07 am

Rudy wrote:Hi sparky,

Good luck trying!
I started my attemps with Rosebank, but unfortunately my wife has no interest in whisky at all.

Amongst the great suggestions already made, I’d add the standard Glenfiddich or Glenlivet, since they have a light palate.
You might even start with a blend like Black Label, to get her used to whisky at all.
I noticed that all the people I poured a dram to, 40% abv is quite a hurdle to take if they’re not used to drink anything stronger than wine.

Have fun,

Rudy

Hey, Rudy, two years between posts? What, did you get married or something? Anyway, welcome back!

Rudy
Bronze Member

Postby Rudy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:52 am

Hi MrT!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I found out all this whisky is nice, but is next to nothing compared to.....
becoming a father!

So our daughter Stephanie is now 2y4m old and I know all about Fisher Price and invested heavily in that. I can't tell you which last bottle of whisky I bought, the last box of 'Little People' was that with the trainy thing! And the Pampers size is 5. A bit odd numbers to memorize, but after making some mistakes I learned a lot.

It's nice to be back again and continue from where I left!

Rudy

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:58 am

So I was on the right track! Congrats on the 2004 vintage Rudyette. Hope you have her in a good barrel, so she matures nicely.

Rudy
Bronze Member

Postby Rudy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:15 am

Thanks MrT!

We're working on that and we think she's the best!
We noticed all parents think that of their child, so we're no exception to the rule.

I have to wait a while though to share my drams with her.
And it will also take a while to see bottles with destilling dates of 27 October 2004. But that's OK, I'll wait a while.

If you come accross it, I'd be happy to know!

Rudy

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Out on a limb...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:24 am

Sparky,
I've been watching the other responses for a while and holding my counsel until now. It is generally accepted that most ladies have a better sense of taste and smell than we fellows do. I have also been surprised to find that a number of women I've met preferred a stronger flavoured single malt than I would have thought. Certainly stronger than I would have sampled myself as a first time malt.

Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg (to name a few) may be something to consider presenting to your wife to nose and sample. Obviously, you would have to warn her that they are not milquetoast malts, rather that they have "broad shoulders".

Just an opinion based on discussions with other whisky lovers of both sexes.

Muskrat

Di Blasi

Re: Out on a limb...

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:43 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:Sparky,
I've been watching the other responses for a while and holding my counsel until now. It is generally accepted that most ladies have a better sense of taste and smell than we fellows do. I have also been surprised to find that a number of women I've met preferred a stronger flavoured single malt than I would have thought. Certainly stronger than I would have sampled myself as a first time malt.

Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg (to name a few) may be something to consider presenting to your wife to nose and sample. Obviously, you would have to warn her that they are not milquetoast malts, rather that they have "broad shoulders".

Just an opinion based on discussions with other whisky lovers of both sexes.
Muskrat

I have to completely agree with you Muskrat Portage!!!! I have found the exact same to be very true!!!

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:45 am

Rudy wrote:And it will also take a while to see bottles with destilling dates of 27 October 2004. But that's OK, I'll wait a while.

If you come accross it, I'd be happy to know!

:shock: The day after my 50th birthday...I was dramming in the Bow Bar that evening. Later that night, the Boston Red Sox won the World Series for the first time since 1918.

Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:09 am

Bow Bar, great place! One of the best I visited my first time to Scotland last year. Can't wait to go back in April!!

irishwhiskeychaser

Re: Whisky for my Wife

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:49 pm

sparky wrote:....... She is not a fan of Irish Whisky, but she used to like bourbon in her late teens. ......

Has she really tried enough Irish to know??? If she has then you are on an up hill battle I fear.....

The majority of people who say they don't like Whisky usually have had bad experiences with a limited selection of Whisky.

Jameson 12 is a nice easy drinker.

However maybe try her with a grain heavy blend as they can be very light and sweet.

However people should not be so determined to get people to like Single Malts straight off. It can take time for alot of people get used to the profile.

I'd even go as far as saying that she should start off with a whiskey and mixer (Ginger ale, Sprite, Coke etc). This gets the person used to the whisky profile and enables them to build up towards full on whisky.

Slowly does it, thats the way to go....

If you try to rush her into it she will only confirm her dislike for the product.

Remember there is a Whisky for every whisky drinker but there is not neccessarily a whisky drinker in everybody :wink:

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:21 pm

MP: Sparky wrote "She can't stand the Islay expressions that I have, but she did try Glenmorangie port wood".

Several women I know with no previous whisky experience now love glenmorangie 10. As an available, affordable, gentle, sweetish dram it's hard to beat for starters. My young singer friend was introduced by me to 3 malts following a new year's eve gig 2 years ago - she sipped Ardbeg, was intrigued but overwhelmed...preferred a Balvenie 15, but fell for the 'morangie. Last time she came here she too tried the Portwood and loved it. Last week, on her way to work, she decided to give up her job and ended up in a bar drinking Talisker! I call that a 'logical progression!'

Way to go!

P.S. rudy, congratulations from a fellow father! Jemima is 22 months old, and boy is she learning fast! For my birthday 2 weeks ago, she gave me a 200ml 'advance sample' Old Malt Cask Benriach 15 YO(though I think she must have passed it to her mum to make the actual purchase - she still looks a little too young to be purchasing alcohol)

sparky

Postby sparky » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:01 am

My high hopes were brought down pretty quickly by a cold of hers. I insisted that she at least try one anyway. Maybe it would be a cure? So I got her a Dalmore because I thought it would be a good bet -- nice and sherried, and I got myself a Springbank (yum!). She tried the Dalmore... the result: "It's really not my thing." What could I say to that? So I drank 'em both. There's always a happy ending! I will keep trying two drams at a time!

laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:41 pm

My wife doesn't like peated brands too.
She's recently approached whisky by Dalmore 12 yo (at the moment her favourite) and has happily tasted Macallan 12 Fine Oak, Glengoyne 10 yo, Aberlour 10 yo, Glenlivet 12 yo.
Anyway I think sherried (or fruit) -style is better and I agree for Balvenie 12 Doublewood.
Bye
Luca

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:50 pm

Hi Sparky -
Mrs C says that you can't go wrong with a bottle of Bombay Sapphire :roll:
However, why don't you but something that you like as you will probably end up drinking it yourself. I invariably find that Mrs C, exercising her perogative, likes something one moment and reviles it the next.
Despite what you say, Ardbeg 10 and a nice bit of dark choclate will earn you many brownie points. :D
Good luck!

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:53 pm

Hi all, Mrs C here - don't believe a word of it.
By the way Crieftan, it's buY and chocOlate you fool! :roll:

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:54 pm

:oops:

8)

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:18 pm

Crieftan wrote:Hi Sparky -
Mrs C says that you can't go wrong with a bottle of Bombay Sapphire

In that case the answer is simple:

Penderyn!!!

irishwhiskeychaser

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:24 pm

Nice to see Mrs C keeping tabs on Mr C :lol:

martin grant
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:51 pm

My wife is far from a fan of whisky, and personally I'm not all that fussy to encourage her to become involved in appreciating a good dram. However if she is ever likely to be tempted it is always with a wood finish. She will quite happily sip at a port wood finish, Glenmorangie or Balvenie. However we have just discovered Sauternes finishes and these get a thumbs up from both of us. Glenmorangie and Tullibardine are both really good examples, IMHO

Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:57 pm

My wife is very selective in her tastes usually it's old and expensive..... :lol:
She's is very particular to the 30+ yo SMWS Farclases , 1976 239X Ardbegs , Loti ..... she usually prefers a sherried malt but when she comes along to the SMWS tastings and any tastings at the Feis Ile will give what ever's on offer a go and usually trys anything i have at The Vaults and give her opinion .
One thing i can say , she hates Laphroaig !

Return to “Questions & Answers”