what should I get next??

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Rory B Bellows

Postby Rory B Bellows » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:57 pm

thehoj wrote:My next bottle will be the Aberlour a'bunadh, so I'll be checking out the heavy sherried malt's when I pick that up. All I can find where I live for Macallen is the Fine Oak series, which I've been told is really not worth the money.

I haven't heard much about the Oban 14 before, I may check into that a bit as well.. Lagavulin 16 is also on my list of to-buy single malt's.

And yea, I agree, I could easily see the Ardbeg 10 being knocked from my number 1, but only time will tell.

Well if you want sherry, A'bunadh is as big as it gets. You are also killing two birds with one stone, since you'll be knocking "try a cask-strength malt" off your list as well. If you put water in it, don't put too much (no more than 4 parts malt to 1 part water), or you will drain the life out of it.

I would advise against the Fine Oak Macallan as well. I only suggested Oban because it's different than anything else you've tried (that, and I happen to enjoy it): beware though, it's bloody expensive for what you get, so a sample would better than a whole bottle.

thehoj

Postby thehoj » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:40 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:Welcome to the forums thehoj! Please don't take this as criticism in any way but rather as a tip based on my own experience. When I started a more seriuos approach to single malt it was after being introduced to Ardbeg Ten by Di Blasi - and I'm very grateful he did exactly that!

I spend most of my time chasing peat monsters and had a vague idea about collecting something I called "island malts". In the aftermath it's easy to see where I went wrong as I concentraded on the extremes more than anything else. And it's safe to say I missed out on a lot! At least as far as nuances go.

However, if you also try the "lighter" whiskies or even what someone might call "commercial" (skip the snobbery) such as take your time and get used to Glenmorangie 10 etc. I'm sure you'll find subtleness, delicacy etc. that you won't find in many of the whiskies where qualities like that are masked by impressive but rather one-dimensional sherry character or heavy smoke! There are a lot of nice whiskies out there and they're not all trying to grab you by the throat demanding your attention. Give your Glenmorangies, Scapas, Cragganmores and Dalwhinnies a chance!

Cheers
Christian

Thanks for the advice..
I definitely see where you're coming from, and I had a very similar thought strike me recently!
I was realizing that I'm really enjoying all these really REALLY strong-charactered single malt's, and that's what prompted me to go back and spend some more time with my Bunnahabhain, I spent the time to really try to pick out some of the more subtle smells and tastes, I found a lot more than the first time I sat down with it, and I enjoyed it very much.

I also recently picked up a bottle of the Glenlivet 18yo, which again I find to have a lot of subtleties, it's definitely not near so brash as a lot of the other malt's I picked up, but again I really enjoyed picking out so many different characteristics (many subtle, and a lot that I can't even really place) in it. I found it so very very smooth, and it's got a very nice faint sweetness that I really enjoy (must be a honey flavor), and I can taste an initial woodiness mixed with that honey, it's got this really nice smell to it too.. I don't know how to describe it, but I guess maybe it's just that same sweet-woody smell, I absolutely love that smell. And it's like every sip and smell I take, I smell something different, although I can't place half the things I'm smelling.. I honestly don't know how to describe some of the things I'm smelling. I think I smell a tinge of vanilla, and I can see how one of the smells I'm smelling is referred to as a deep orange smell. I tasted an almost raisin flavor as well which was interesting.

Another malt I picked up (partially because it's so cheap, and I have heard a lot of good things about it) is the Balvenie 10yo founder's reserve. I could really notice the honey flavor in it, and a very faint peatyness. It seemed like a really nice easy going anytime kind of malt.

I've got a number of single malt's on my list of to-buy's at the moment, some very characterful, other's a lot more subtle from what I understand:

Clynelish 14yo
Talisker 10yo
Bowmore 15yo (Mariner)
Springbank 10yo
Laphroaig 10yo (I've had a few times, but always enjoy it)
Aberlour a'bunadh (what would another good sherried malt be?.. maybe something not quite so strong on the sherry..)

What would you recommend as far as a Glenmorangie?.. I did try the 10yo, and wasn't overly impressed by it, but again it was just a single dram so maybe I didn't give it enough chance.

The other slight problem with my selection is that I don't have a ton of it! I live in a government controlled area, and so what comes into the province isn't really the greatest in selection..
The entire list of what I can get is here:
MLCC listing
And a lot of the time much of this list is not in stock.
I did notice on a recent visit to the Liquor mart, that pretty much that entire line of Glenmorangie malt's were available, so my interest is definitely piqued for that..

Rory B Bellows wrote:Well if you want sherry, A'bunadh is as big as it gets. You are also killing two birds with one stone, since you'll be knocking "try a cask-strength malt" off your list as well. If you put water in it, don't put too much (no more than 4 parts malt to 1 part water), or you will drain the life out of it.

I would advise against the Fine Oak Macallan as well. I only suggested Oban because it's different than anything else you've tried (that, and I happen to enjoy it): beware though, it's bloody expensive for what you get, so a sample would better than a whole bottle.

That's definitely another thing that draws me to that Aberlour, the fact that iit's cask strength, and I think the only cask strength malt I can get where I live.

Anyways, again thanks for the input I'm receiving from these forums, it's really helping me expand my experience with the single malt world.

Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:13 am

Sorry, double posting.
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:23 am

thehoj wrote:

What would you recommend as far as a Glenmorangie?.. I did try the 10yo, and wasn't overly impressed by it, but again it was just a single dram so maybe I didn't give it enough chance.

Hi again thehoj! I've only tried the standard 10 and the Port Wood Finish. They're both good and the character of the standard 10 is instantly recognisable. It's a good way of getting to know the various finishes available - especially if port etc are relatively unfamiliar territory.

It would be a great if it was possible to buy minis or 20 cl bottles in your area?

Anyway, I think you should go for the whiskies you want. The good thing is that there are so incredibly many of them and such great variety.

Good luck :)

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

The Hoj and his hunt for whisky...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:55 pm

thehoj wrote: ...My next bottle will be the Aberlour a'bunadh, so I'll be checking out the heavy sherried malt's when I pick that up. All I can find where I live for Macallen is the Fine Oak series, which I've been told is really not worth the money.
Check the batch number on the box and try to pick up a couple of different A'Bunadh if you can. I've had a 13, 14 and 15 in the lair and am waiting for batch 16. The Macallan Fine Oak pales in comparison to the Sherried (burgandy coloured box) Macallan. If you are going for a sherry finish that's the one I'd hunt for. We have it here at the LCBO in town at present. I think there was still some at Grant Park when I was there this weekend. The Portage Avenue West MLCC (near Moray) has a good selection as well, seeing as how it's closer to where you reside. Regretfully the whisky expert there has moved to a new store.
thehoj wrote: I haven't heard much about the Oban 14 before, I may check into that a bit as well.. Lagavulin 16 is also on my list of to-buy single malt's...
...The entire list of what I can get is here: "MLCC listing "
And a lot of the time much of this list is not in stock.
I did notice on a recent visit to the Liquor mart, that pretty much that entire line of Glenmorangie malt's were available, so my interest is definitely piqued for that...
The MLCC listing is sadly only a listing of what they've had in the past and what they may be carrying now. It's not an interactive searchable list like the LCBO list, where you can actually check store stock. http://www.lcbo.com/products/productsearch.shtml
Take a browse and see what's nearby. I have a variety of the Glenmorangie selection and you could drop by for a sampling if you are coming to the Wooden Lake area in the future to visit your buddy. PM me and I'll pass on my contact information, if you wish.
Muskrat

thehoj

Re: The Hoj and his hunt for whisky...

Postby thehoj » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:24 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:The Macallan Fine Oak pales in comparison to the Sherried (burgandy coloured box) Macallan. If you are going for a sherry finish that's the one I'd hunt for. We have it here at the LCBO in town at present.

Would I be right in assuming that "the macallan 12 yr speyside" as listed on the MLCC website would be the sherry oak ? I do believe they have that at the LC right beside me, at a somewhat decent price.. maybe I'll pick that up as an introduction to the sherried malt's..

What's the Glenmorangie sherry wood finish like as far as the sherried stuff goes?

Rory B Bellows

Postby Rory B Bellows » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:11 pm

thehoj wrote:
Would I be right in assuming that "the macallan 12 yr speyside" as listed on the MLCC website would be the sherry oak ? I do believe they have that at the LC right beside me, at a somewhat decent price.. maybe I'll pick that up as an introduction to the sherried malt's..

What's the Glenmorangie sherry wood finish like as far as the sherried stuff goes?

Yes, the Macallan 12 is sherried. Double check the box first, though. As far as the MLCC list you linked us to, I would only recommend the Macallan 12 or the A'bunadh for a sherried malt. Glenmorangie has never impressed me.

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:48 pm

You can't go wrong with the Glenfarclas 12 though - if you're looking for a sherried whisky on a low budget.

thehoj

Postby thehoj » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:18 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:You can't go wrong with the Glenfarclas 12 though - if you're looking for a sherried whisky on a low budget.

Unfortunately that is not an option where I live.. :(

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:00 am

thehoj wrote:
Muskrat Portage wrote:The Macallan Fine Oak pales in comparison to the Sherried (burgandy coloured box) Macallan. If you are going for a sherry finish that's the one I'd hunt for. We have it here at the LCBO in town at present.

A bit of apples and oranges--sherry finished rather than sherry matured.

thehoj

Postby thehoj » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:28 pm

I ended up grabbing a bottle of the 12yo Macallan Sherry Oak, and I quite enjoyed it. The sherry flavor was nice, but it did remind me that I'm not the hugest fan of sherry on it's own.. Balanced with the peat like in the 12yo Macallan I very much did enjoy it, but any heavier on the sherry, or no peat flavor and I think I'd be turned off..

Is it a safe bet that I should maybe stay clear of the Aberlour A'bunadh?.. I'm assuming it's got a heavier sherry flavor..

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Aberlour

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:32 am

Thehoj:
The A'bunadh isn't necessarily something to dodge, however remember that it's bottled at "cask strength" and so will appear (and be) more potent that a 40% bottling.

I personally enjoy the sherry flavour and don't find it overpowering yet it's not a whisky I'd heavily dram all night, unless I was lowering myself to "drink for effect" :D (Fire mission battery, 5 drams - fire for effect!) :D
Musky

Return to “Questions & Answers”