what should I get next??

All your whisky related questions answered here.
thehoj

what should I get next??

Postby thehoj » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:06 pm

I've been enjoying the 3 different single malt's I picked up over the past month quite a bit. Although I've noticed that what I enjoy is changing. The first single malt I picked up was the bowmore 12, I didn't mind it to start with but it was a bit much. I picked up a highland park 12 next and thoroughly enjoyed everything about it, lastly I almost think it was a mistake that I picked up a bottle of bunnahabhain 12.. It's just a bit bland for a single malt IMO.. Could be that my taste buds don't notice the nuances or something.

Over the past couple weeks, my favorite of the three has seemed to possibly have shifted from the HP12 to the Bowmore 12.. Not sure if it is in fact the heavier peat flavors/smells that interest me, or what it is.. I was out at a pub the other night, and decided to try the Laphroaig 10, I quite enjoyed it, didn't seem much peatier than the Bowmore 12... I think I actually may prefer the Bomore 12. Although at the time I was probably not in the best of situations to be tasting something new.

Anyways, It's paycheck time again, which means a new bottle for me to try.. I want something different, I enjoy a nice smoky flavor, but I don't want it to be sickeningly harsh. For reference, I don't find the bowmore 12 or Laphroaig 10 (from what I remember) too harsh.
As it stands I'm torn between 4 possibilies:

-Talisker 10yr
-Talisker distillers edition 1986 (has anyone tried this before?.. I haven't seen much on it)
-Ardbeg 10
-Laphroaig 10

And I'm leaning towards the Ardbeg 10.. but I'm worried it'll be too harsh. I like a smoothness in my scotch.
Basically I'm looking for a new flavor (peppery, more peat, maybe a bit sweeter, all of the above, or just something new - as compared to the HP12, Bowmore 12, and Bunnahabhain 12) , but I still want it to be smooth.

Thoughts on the 4 of I've been thinking about, or any other perhaps?

Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:21 pm

I very much like Ledaig 15 years old not too much peat and sweet ,well worth trying if you can get a hold of it :) (even more ledaig 1972 vintage lots of peat but sweet and just wonderful)
If my choice were betwen those four you mentioned I`d go for Talisker either one of them . :)

thehoj

Postby thehoj » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:23 pm

Ann-Helen wrote:I very much like Ledaig 15 years old not too much peat and sweet ,well worth trying if you can get a hold of it :) (even more ledaig 1972 vintage lots of peat but sweet and just wonderful)
If my choice were betwen those four you mentioned I`d go for Talisker either one of them . :)

Can't buy Ledaig where I am..
Have you tried that 1986 distillers edition talisker? how does it compare to the talisker 10yo?

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:01 pm

thehoj wrote:Can't buy Ledaig where I am..

I'm coming to live where you live :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Adbeg 10 is not at all harsh and is actually quite smooth. What you will notice though is the load of peat and smoke in your glass. This is well balanced by a sweet intensity that typifies Arbeg.
Personally I'd go for Talisker 10 and savour it's richly smokey fishbox aroma with a quite chilli peppery finish. The distiller edition is good but the 10yo is better IMHO. :D

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:08 pm

Try the Talisker 10 first. I think it's always worthwhile to try a distillery's flagship expression, to see what it is they want you to think is their basic character. If that intrigues you, then you can go on to Talisker DE and 18, or keep broadening your experience with other distilleries.

If Laphroaig does not turn you off, it's hard to believe you'll find any standard distillery issue too harsh. That said, the conventional wisdom that the Kildalton malts--Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg--are birds of a feather is belied by the fact that many posters here have expressed distaste for one or another of them, and all three seem to come up about equally. Who can figure? You won't know what you think until you try them for yourself.

I feel a poll coming on.

les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:14 pm

From your experience and persoanl taste preferences that you've expressed I'd agree with the other guys and go with the Talisker 10 its a great drink. May be think of it as a stepping to Islay on your whisky journey. Somtimes the journey can be as good as the arrival.

Don't forget springbank 10 100% proof either a fantastic drink with great complexity.

:D

r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:32 pm

Been wanting to try something different for a while and finally got away from Islay by having Highland Park 12, loved it.

So if you haven't tried it get a bottle, but to make sure you like something try it before you get a bottle, i.e. go to your local. Okay it may be a tad expensive, but at least you won't have something you can stand lying round.

Rob

thehoj

Postby thehoj » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:26 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.
r900p Highland Park 12 is one of the malt's I've already tried, and very much enjoyed as well..

I dunno, I'm getting conflicting opinions on which I should try next (from a couple different sources).. THIS forum seems to be leaning towards Talisker, and another seems to be pushing towards Ardbeg.. :shock:

I'm pretty sure it's gonna come down to which one catches my eye more when I get to the Liquor store..

I have to admit (and this is pretty trivial in the whole scheme of things), The Ardbeg 10 bottle is definitely more attractive to me than the Talisker 10... But that really shouldn't play a part in which one I buy I'm thinking :oops:

I was reading some descriptions of these single malts, and I have to say the description for the distillers edition Talisker sounds very very appealing to me:

"Palate:
Crisp peat at first then softens to enormous richness in the mouth. There's sweet, roasty malt with a heathery dryness. The sherry notes keep back some of Talisker's usual pepper. In its place is luscious, slightly oily sweetness - with ripe, juicy fruit and vanilla.

Finish:
Some very deep cocoa notes, vanilla and lingering quite earthy peat. An enormously chewable single malt, with sweetness having the edge on dryness."

Although I PROBABLY won't go with the DE, has anyone else tried it?.. Are there any other opinions on it?.. It's only $4 more for me to buy, so the cost wouldn't be an issue.

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:51 pm

They're all good, hoj, and no one can tell you which you'll like best--you'll just have to try them all! Take all the advice onboard and then go with your gut.

Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Choochoo » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:06 pm

I love the Talisker DE, but it is a different animal from the regular 10yo. The DE, being matured for a time in a cask that once held sherry wine, gives it a strong fruit/sweetness to compliment the smoke/pepper quality.

The regular talisker 10yo is more straight smoke w/peppery finish.

Ardbeg 10, to me, has all the smoke you'd want, but also has a big Peaty quality within that smoke, sort of decomposed vegitative mater if you will. It's bold stuff, but is very good if your inclined to like such BIG kinds of malts.

Basically, The Talisker 10, DE, or an Ardbeg are all good, but are all a bit different from each other. Any of them would be a good choice, it's more about what you'd like to try first.

r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:30 pm

How about Edradour i've been wanting to try one for a while, but have never seen i in a bar, and don't want to fork out for a whole bottle in case i don't like it.

Perhaps someone may give some indication as to its drinkability.

Rob

peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:39 pm

I've had two bottles of the 10yo. One was fabulous and the other was a little blah to say the least. Maybe even a little annoying. Johannes of the malt maniacs seems to have an affinity for them, so I'm gonna keep checking back with him to see if anything good comes out.

Small distillery, small output, small batches, big batch variation. That's what I've heard.

Choochoo
Silver Member

Postby Choochoo » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:40 pm

I've never had any Edradour. After reading someones comment on this forum that the brand's distinctive charater is that of resembling "baby's vomit", I've made a point of steering clear of the stuff.

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Edrador 10 yo

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:53 pm

r900p wrote:How about Edradour i've been wanting to try one for a while, but have never seen i in a bar, and don't want to fork out for a whole bottle in case i don't like it.Perhaps someone may give some indication as to its drinkability.Rob

r900p:
If you can find an old bottling of 10 yo Edradour in the tall cream coloured tube, it is a very pleasant and enjoyable malt, one of my regular favorites until... the new squat 10 yo bottle came out. It has an overlying taste of soap and is not pleasant at all to my taste. I have a second bottle that I'm afraid to open in case it has the same problem. If you ever see it at a bar, try it first.

That being said, if you can find the Edrrador Cask in the Burgundy tube, It is a lovely sherried malt, well worth the price. Mine is from 1989 (52.7% vol)Cask 354 Decanter 224 and was acquired in September 2003.
Muskrat

r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:50 pm

thanks, but baby vomit and soap, think i'll stay clear of that.

Rob

lbacha
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:36 pm

You have to watch out with Edradour they have very good bottles and very bad bottles, and unfortunatly they can be of the same bottling because of the small batches they do. I have had a bad standard 10 that tasted like soap and then i tried the same bottling but it was a wonderful carmel flavor with rich malty notes, absolutly great whisky. Go figure I guess when you make so few casks quality control gets lost to some extent.

Len

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Edrador 10 yo

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:14 am

lbacha wrote:You have to watch out with Edradour they have very good bottles and very bad bottles, and unfortunatly they can be of the same bottling because of the small batches they do. I have had a bad standard 10 that tasted like soap and then i tried the same bottling but it was a wonderful carmel flavor with rich malty notes, absolutly great whisky. Go figure I guess when you make so few casks quality control gets lost to some extent. Len

lbacha:
Okay, so I should open the second bottle and see what happens, eh? I'll report back...
Muakrat

TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:25 am

All your options are good whiskies. You certainly seem to be leaning towards peatiness in your dram. If I were you I'd go for the Ardbeg 10 next, but try the Talisker 10 and Laphroaig 10 soon too.

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:33 am

Re: TALISKER DE. I had one in '2005 when i went to play the isle of Man Blues Festival. Very nice. sweeter and softer than the standard 10. Smoke and wine gums as I recall...

My hosts loved it. and they aren't whisky people!

But right now i'm revelling in a Lagavulin DE 1990, gifted me yesterday for my birthday. This really has a lot going on. a bit more depth and roundness than the Talisker. not quite as sweet. i think it JUST has the edge on the Talisker...

A bold, REGAL whisky!

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:36 am

...and probably a bit more expensive!

I think you'd love either, but value for money-wise, you'd do well to try Ardbeg. more affordable as a regular dram if your budget is tight.

...whereas the others are "treats-maybe not for everyday!"

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:39 am

Last thought...

Sooner or later YOU KNOW you're gonna have to try 'em all, and I've just furthur confused you by putting Lagavulin DE on the table...

...so why worry? there's no law against having more than one whisky open at any one time.

Ask any forum member!!!!!!!!!!!

pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby pmullin » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:51 am

If you want smooth and smoky, you might want to try the Lagavulin 16.

thehoj

Postby thehoj » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:42 am

Reggaeblues wrote:Last thought...

Sooner or later YOU KNOW you're gonna have to try 'em all, and I've just furthur confused you by putting Lagavulin DE on the table...

...so why worry? there's no law against having more than one whisky open at any one time.

Ask any forum member!!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely not! I've got those 3 bottles I mentioned above on the go at the moment.

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm pretty much set on the Ardbeg 10. I'll be picking it up this friday (us poor people have to budget money here.. lol), so we'll see if anything sways my mind before then.

les taylor

Postby les taylor » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:19 am

thehoj wrote:-

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm pretty much set on the Ardbeg 10. I'll be picking it up this friday (us poor people have to budget money here.. lol), so we'll see if anything sways my mind before then.

Hey thehoj What if we were to send the boys round to do some persuading :wink:

:)

thehoj

Postby thehoj » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:33 pm

Well.. I picked up a bottle of Ardbeg 10!

Anyways, I absolutely love it. I just had a quick taste of it, so I haven't had a chance to sit down and take in every aspect of it, but I LOVE it.
The first thing that came to mind, and this is probably out to lunch.., but to ME it reminded me somewhat of highland park 12 right off the bat, a bit stronger though, and a little more bite to it right off the bat, more spice to the flavor. Then came the wave of peaty/smokyness that I was hoping for :D very nice, and I could just feel it through my sinuses.. in a good way though, very smooth for the amount of bite it had. It seemed to linger in my mouth for quite a while as well, which was definitely welcome.
I was also very surprised at how pale it's color was.

Anyways, that was my 1 minute analysis of it. I'm no scotch reviewer, but I do know what I like, and I love the Ardbeg 10yo.
Most definitely no. 1 on my list of scotch for now. I find it amazing how I can have a nice big sip of a 46% abv fine single malt such as this, and have no burning, no pain, no quiver (or shake or whatever people do when they have something too strong for them), and yet any other hard stuff makes me pucker all up and try to get that stuff down as fast as possible.

ANYWAYS, my ranking so far of what I've tasted since my introduction to the world of single malt scotch:

1. Ardbeg 10yo (based on very preliminary tasting)
2. Highland Park 12yo (like everyone says, the perfect all-arounder)
3. Bowmore 12yo (nice and smokey. To me this is what drinking smoke in liquid form tastes like)
4. Laphroaig 10yo (didn't have a fair taste of this one either.. was in a pub, wasn't REALLY paying attention to the flavors.. I do remember enjoying the smokey/peat flavor.. Could see this one bumping up in my rankings if I pick up a bottle of my own)
5. Bunnahabhain 12yo (too bland for my liking)
6. Glenmorangie 10yo (also didn't really get a fair taste of this.. had this the same night I had the Laph. at the pub. Found it too bland)
7. Glenlivet 12yo (so very very meh.)
Last edited by thehoj on Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:39 pm

You chose well! Ardbeg10 has been the one malt I've NEVER been without for the last 4 years...and recently it seems i've never had less than 12 bottles open at any one time.

I always seem to come back to it, and my pocket never complains...

does that make it my favourite?

Perhaps the favourite among favourites!

TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:59 am

thehoj wrote:Anyways, that was my 1 minute analysis of it. I'm no scotch reviewer, but I do know what I like, and I love the Ardbeg 10yo.

Very few of us are hoj. Looks like you will fit in just fine around here. Pull yourself up a stool and welcome to the virtual pub. :D

Jan
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:33 am

And the dark side claimed another youngling...

Good choice Thehoj (but with the options listed, you could'nt really make a bad one.)

Welcome to these forums - I hope you will find as educational and fun as do I.

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

TheHoj succumbs

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:55 am

Jan wrote:And the dark side claimed another youngling....

Yessssss my precioussssss , welcome to the nether regions of whisky rarely frequented by the less hardy SM lovers.
Muskrat

thehoj

Postby thehoj » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:57 pm

I ended up going back to my Bunnahabhain 12yo again.. WHen I posted about it before I was finding it kinda bland, but I think I may have possibly had some nasal congestion when I was drinking it, and upon further tasting the Bunnahabhain I quite enjoy it.
It's got a very good balance of sweetness, spiciness, a small bit of smokyness, and I love the maple smell i seem to always get from smelling it.

Just thought I'd post an update as I seemed less than pleased with it the last time I mentioned it.

I'd still put it where I did on my list of preferred scotch, only because I haven't tasted very many, but by no means do I find it too bland.

Rory B Bellows

Re: what should I get next??

Postby Rory B Bellows » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:42 pm

thehoj wrote:Anyways, It's paycheck time again, which means a new bottle for me to try.. I want something different, I enjoy a nice smoky flavor, but I don't want it to be sickeningly harsh. For reference, I don't find the bowmore 12 or Laphroaig 10 (from what I remember) too harsh.
As it stands I'm torn between 4 possibilies:

-Talisker 10yr
-Talisker distillers edition 1986 (has anyone tried this before?.. I haven't seen much on it)
-Ardbeg 10
-Laphroaig 10

Ardbeg 10 is the best of the lot. It isn't harsh, but the peat jolt can be very overwhelming the first time. I never really got into Talisker, so I would advise against it: I find it lacking the complexity of most Islay malts (I haven't tried the DE, so no comment). Laphroaig 10 is definetely the most medicinal, and you might find that harsh, but you can find that to sample at many bars, so you could give it another go before buying it.

fergusa

Postby fergusa » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:47 pm

Get a Lagavulin 16 if you can find it and afford it. Amazing drop and very occasionally you get it for £25 a bottle (for example in Makro if you can find a friend who has a card it's on sale for that price now).

Rory B Bellows

Postby Rory B Bellows » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:54 pm

thehoj wrote:
ANYWAYS, my ranking so far of what I've tasted since my introduction to the world of single malt scotch:

3. Bowmore 12yo (nice and smokey. To me this is what drinking smoke in liquid form tastes like)
4. Laphroaig 10yo (didn't have a fair taste of this one either.. was in a pub, wasn't REALLY paying attention to the flavors.. I do remember enjoying the smokey/peat flavor.. Could see this one bumping up in my rankings if I pick up a bottle of my own)
6. Glenmorangie 10yo (also didn't really get a fair taste of this.. had this the same night I had the Laph. at the pub. Found it too bland)

I think your intro is a little lopsided. Try to get a sherried malt in there like Aberlour or The Macallan, and maybe something "sweet" like Longmorn 15 or Oban 14. Also, try Lagavulin 16: it might bump Ardbeg 10 from your #1 ranking. :wink:

thehoj

Postby thehoj » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:22 pm

Rory B Bellows wrote:
thehoj wrote:

I think your intro is a little lopsided. Try to get a sherried malt in there like Aberlour or The Macallan, and maybe something "sweet" like Longmorn 15 or Oban 14. Also, try Lagavulin 16: it might bump Ardbeg 10 from your #1 ranking. :wink:

My next bottle will be the Aberlour a'bunadh, so I'll be checking out the heavy sherried malt's when I pick that up. All I can find where I live for Macallen is the Fine Oak series, which I've been told is really not worth the money.

I haven't heard much about the Oban 14 before, I may check into that a bit as well.. Lagavulin 16 is also on my list of to-buy single malt's.

And yea, I agree, I could easily see the Ardbeg 10 being knocked from my number 1, but only time will tell.

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:32 pm

Welcome to the forums thehoj! Please don't take this as criticism in any way but rather as a tip based on my own experience. When I started a more seriuos approach to single malt it was after being introduced to Ardbeg Ten by Di Blasi - and I'm very grateful he did exactly that!

I spend most of my time chasing peat monsters and had a vague idea about collecting something I called "island malts". In the aftermath it's easy to see where I went wrong as I concentraded on the extremes more than anything else. And it's safe to say I missed out on a lot! At least as far as nuances go.

However, if you also try the "lighter" whiskies or even what someone might call "commercial" (skip the snobbery) such as take your time and get used to Glenmorangie 10 etc. I'm sure you'll find subtleness, delicacy etc. that you won't find in many of the whiskies where qualities like that are masked by impressive but rather one-dimensional sherry character or heavy smoke! There are a lot of nice whiskies out there and they're not all trying to grab you by the throat demanding your attention. Give your Glenmorangies, Scapas, Cragganmores and Dalwhinnies a chance!

Cheers
Christian

Return to “Questions & Answers”