Does anyone think Macallan is good value these days?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby lincoln imp » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:09 am

It is a simple question in all honesty , my answer is an emphatic no.
Macallan has been trading on past glories for far too long, yes its older stuff up to roughly 1980 distillate could be truly excellent but the quality is not there anymore and their prices reflect those glory days not the below par stuff they put out now at sky high prices.
What does everyone else think, am I right or wrong?

Jolly Toper
Bronze Member

Re: Does anyone think Macallan is good value these days?

Postby Jolly Toper » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:24 pm

Interesting question - you've perhaps tasted more of Macallan than I have so I suspect a comparison of old versus new based on your extensive experience has value.

I'm personally a fan of sherry cask matured whisky so Macallan generally works. I'd have to say I've had a lot of enjoyment from the 10yo of old and have recently tasted some bottlings that I rate but I will also admit plenty grumbling in some corners regarding quality and price. I understandably see a pick up in sales of brands like Glendronach and Tamdhu while Glenlivet Nadurra Oloroso and Aberlour A'bunadh seem to have for some time been embraced by Macallan fans of old.

I'd not be surprised to learn you've tried multiple examples of early vintage Macallan 18yo compared to my one or two so I'm unable to comment much further on old-old Macallans compared to today but if anyone out there wants to send me samples of both (particularly the former) I'm willing to extend my experience. :)

lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby lincoln imp » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:20 am

Jolly Toper wrote:Interesting question - you've perhaps tasted more of Macallan than I have so I suspect a comparison of old versus new based on your extensive experience has value.

I'm personally a fan of sherry cask matured whisky so Macallan generally works. I'd have to say I've had a lot of enjoyment from the 10yo of old and have recently tasted some bottlings that I rate but I will also admit plenty grumbling in some corners regarding quality and price. I understandably see a pick up in sales of brands like Glendronach and Tamdhu while Glenlivet Nadurra Oloroso and Aberlour A'bunadh seem to have for some time been embraced by Macallan fans of old.

I'd not be surprised to learn you've tried multiple examples of early vintage Macallan 18yo compared to my one or two so I'm unable to comment much further on old-old Macallans compared to today but if anyone out there wants to send me samples of both (particularly the former) I'm willing to extend my experience. :)

I have not tried loads to be honest but the newer stuff seems to be very inferior to the older stuff of comparable age. I tried the Macallan 25 sherry and Fine Oak, and while the sherry was certainly a smooth dram it is certainly not worth over £1000. It is not just very expensive stuff either as you mention, compare older bottlings of 10 year to what is about now, I know there are cask issues but that is not the whole picture.
I suppose I could ask the same question of Dalmore but I have limited experience with Dalmore - on principle :wink:

whiskgeek
Silver Member

Postby whiskgeek » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:18 am

I assumed that was a rhetorical question. I would say no, even for people who love it and still buy it. Macallan's best value for the money is the 12y, and it's not cheap.

Return to “Questions & Answers”