Real or Fake

All your whisky related questions answered here.
stevewagner

Real or Fake

Postby stevewagner » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:06 pm

Howdy Team!

So I have been buying JW black label regularly and I have noticed a change in the taste with every new bottle I buy.
I would want to know if my purchase is genuine or not.

For all the clues I have, the most intriguing one is the barcode mismatch (is it me or it is indeed a mismatch?). The barcode on the JW Black label bottle and case Do Not Match. I repeat, Do Not Match.

Does this raise any flags? Or is it supposed to be that way? Has anyone noticed the same?

If by any chance, it turns our to be fake, jesus save the liquor store, coz, they are going to get their a** sued big time!

Look forward to read your views on this..

Cheers!

whiteshirt
Bronze Member

Re: Real or Fake

Postby whiteshirt » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:20 pm

Photographs would help

whiskgeek
Silver Member

Postby whiskgeek » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:14 pm

I can't imagine why anyone would bother to fake Johnnie Black. What continent are you on?

corbuso
Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:21 am

whiskgeek wrote:I can't imagine why anyone would bother to fake Johnnie Black. What continent are you on?

Well, in countries such as Thailand, this is not uncommon..

unblended

Postby unblended » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:02 pm

and india as far as I can remember

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:26 am

Well barcodes on bottles and cases never match. One has a EAN code (the bottle) and one has an ITF code (the case). They may well be similar (but don't have to be) but they re absolutely not the same. JW Black Label gets counterfeited all over the world, yes even in the UK.
The ONLY way to tell if it is genuine is to send to Diageo, but I would add that different foods eaten on different days, and in fact other factors too, can impact the palate, so it may well appear to taste different every time. The big clue for me would be where are you buying it from. If you are UK based and buying it from a high street retailer then it is highly unlikely and nigh on impossible that it is counterfeited, as they will be dealing with Diageo directly, whereas a corner shop (and no offence against corner shops) will be buying it from a variety of sources. However as you sue the term liquor store I don't think you are UK based.

Return to “Questions & Answers”