Cragganmore 12 notably changed when 1/3 full

All your whisky related questions answered here.
nortagem

Cragganmore 12 notably changed when 1/3 full

Postby nortagem » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:45 am

Hi all,
About 2 months ago I've purchased a bottle of Cragganmore 12. It's a lovely dram, and the smell is pleasant in particular.
This weekend my wife and I wanted to have another Cragganmore dram. The bottle was about 1/3 full.
To our surprise, the whisky was flat and lifeless. It had only faded, distant memories of what it had about a month ago. It just tasted like a boring spirit, and most of its qualities have vanished.
The bottle was always closed and in its original box. It was left in the cabinet (dark) at room temperature (quite cool these days).
I know bottles of whisky can oxidize and change over time, but I think the change I've experienced with this particular bottle was far too rapid and extreme.

Have you ever had such an experience?
Is there something wrong with the drink, or the way I was keeping it?

Thanks

whiskgeek
Silver Member

Re: Cragganmore 12 notably changed when 1/3 full

Postby whiskgeek » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:50 am

I'm sorry for your loss.

It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. Light can cause a problem, as well as high or varying temperatures. Air is what causes the oxidation, so having the bottle shaken up (while partly empty), or leaving the cork off could have caused that. I'll assume you didn't forget the cork one night. It generally depends on how much air is in the bottle relative to the whisky.

I would guess certain spirits are more fragile than others, and are more likely to be hurt.

I had a bottle of Johnnie Swing go bad in a hurry - only a little left in a wide bottle, riding in the trunk of my car to visit a friend. That's the only one I've had that went bad in a short time. I have a Tal DE that's going flat, but it's been low for a couple of years.

nortagem

Re: Cragganmore 12 notably changed when 1/3 full

Postby nortagem » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:15 am

Thanks for the reply, whiskgeek. I haven't left the cork off, nor do I recall shaking the bottle at all...
I've looked at the cork and haven't found noticeable cracks that would allow air to flow in.
This is quite confusing and disappointing. Whiskies aren't supposed to go flat this quickly...

Return to “Questions & Answers”