Cragganmore 12 notably changed when 1/3 full

All your whisky related questions answered here.
nortagem

Cragganmore 12 notably changed when 1/3 full

Postby nortagem » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:41 am

Hi all,
About 2 months ago I've purchased a bottle of Cragganmore 12. It's a lovely dram, and the smell is pleasant in particular.
This weekend my wife and I wanted to have another Cragganmore dram. The bottle was about 1/3 full.
To our surprise, the whisky was flat and lifeless. It had only faded, distant memories of what it had about a month ago. It just tasted like a boring spirit, and most of its qualities have vanished.
The bottle was always closed and in its original box. It was left in the cabinet (dark) at room temperature (quite cool these days).
I know bottles of whisky can oxidize and change over time, but I think the change I've experienced with this particular bottle was far too rapid and extreme.

Have you ever had such an experience?
Is there something wrong with the drink, or the way I was keeping it?

Thanks

DinaHaines

Re: Cragganmore 12 notably changed when 1/3 full

Postby DinaHaines » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:07 am

I never had such experience. I think there would be something wrong with the bottle or that particular drink.
Cragganmore 12 Year Old Single Malt, is my favorite single malt whisky! This is one for the true connoisseur of aged single malts. The warm flavors of slightly smoked wood and sweet Honey, linger on your taste buds with a lasting afterglow. Absolutely wonderful , with an appealing aroma.
I had a contest in my club anniversary program in lat week, the contest was to write about favorite drink and I have decided to write about this Cragganmore 12. As I was not good at writing I ordered a paper through custom essay writing service. That was a awesome paper I have received from them, the perfect review on this whisky. Then I called the writer personally to say thanks for the essay and he had told me that he also loves Cragganmore 12. :D. That is why the paper comes with perfect review. Now waiting for the program results.

Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Re: Cragganmore 12 notably changed when 1/3 full

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:31 am

nortagem wrote:Hi all,
About 2 months ago I've purchased a bottle of Cragganmore 12. It's a lovely dram, and the smell is pleasant in particular.
This weekend my wife and I wanted to have another Cragganmore dram. The bottle was about 1/3 full.
To our surprise, the whisky was flat and lifeless. It had only faded, distant memories of what it had about a month ago. It just tasted like a boring spirit, and most of its qualities have vanished.
The bottle was always closed and in its original box. It was left in the cabinet (dark) at room temperature (quite cool these days).
I know bottles of whisky can oxidize and change over time, but I think the change I've experienced with this particular bottle was far too rapid and extreme.

Have you ever had such an experience?
Is there something wrong with the drink, or the way I was keeping it?

Thanks

Some whiskies once opened, and especially once there is more air in the bottle than spirit can be affected by oxidation. I have found that Chivas Regal 12 for some reason often flattens out in flavor and can become dull once it has been open say two months and half full.

However, this has not been my experience with Cragganmore. Usually it holds its own even at the the two month mark.

Sometimes the food we eat (paricularly spicy foods) can dull our palate too, if we then try to have a malt afterwards.

A way to avoid the affects of oxidation is to pour say your remaining 1/3 of a bottle into a smaller bottle with little or no air remaining.

Hope this helps, and please don't give up on the Crag, a wonderful dram.

Cheers!

Return to “Questions & Answers”