Broken Cork

All your whisky related questions answered here.
RobertJM

Broken Cork

Postby RobertJM » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:10 am

Good Evening,

New to the forum and first post.

This might well have been dealt elsewhere and be a simple question.

I have a bottle of 16 year old Lagavulin, which has just had its cork break in half. The bottle is 90% full so I don't want to get rid of it.

I don't have any corks spare that would fit and want to know what is the best thing to do to seal the bottle? Can I buy a regular bottle stopper, for wine/other bottles, or would that be an incomplete seal?

Many thanks in advance.

David.goelles

Re: Broken Cork

Postby David.goelles » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:33 am

You can definitely buy a regulsar bottle stopper as long as it seals the Bottle so there is no real Oxygen Exchange.
So anything that closes the bottle shouldn't be a problem.

Eldoras

Postby Eldoras » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:44 pm

Get a decanter and transfer over

WhiskyEnthusiast

Postby WhiskyEnthusiast » Thu May 25, 2017 5:07 pm

I would decant it as well. Easiest way of getting rid from cork. Do the same with my wines. Always, no the matter with cork.

lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby lincoln imp » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:23 pm

only use a decanter that has a really good snug fitting stopper otherwise air will get to it very quickly and you will end up throwing it out.

The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:21 pm

lincoln imp wrote:only use a decanter that has a really good snug fitting stopper otherwise air will get to it very quickly and you will end up throwing it out

I agree 100%. Decanter stoppers are notoriously variable in terms of offering a proper seal. And while I realize you don't have a spare cork at the moment, broken corks are the reason I always keep a bag full of spare ones (from emptied whisky bottles) on hand. In a pinch, you could also temporarily use some food wrap tightened over the top of the bottle with an elastic band.

Return to “Questions & Answers”