Need a present for my friend!

All your whisky related questions answered here.
IceLitvinov

Need a present for my friend!

Postby IceLitvinov » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:30 pm

Looking for a gift for my friend, he happens to be a whisky connoisseur. Any ideas? Alcohol is not an option, too boring plus he has a well stocked bar already. I was thinking something along the line of decanters or whisky glasses.

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Need a present for my friend!

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:16 am

I would recommend the Glencairn glass myself. You can also go into a glass shop and see if they have a similar glass with a watch glass or a lid to go on top. I own several of each kind and it's entertaining to watch people try to manipulate the watch glass after a couple of drams. I have a bent sense of humour.

Another option is to contact his favorite distillery online and see what glassware they have. Laphroaig has some pretty decent offerings, including a small one on a lanyard, excellent for going to Stramash or Whisky Live.

If you are in Atlantic Canada, there's Nova Scotia Crystal, (check it on the internet), which makes a wonderful whisky glass. I received as a couple as a gift one Christmas and is my "go to glass" for exceptional acquisitions. They also make decanters that match and I recall will ship their products out of country.

Hope this is of assistance.

Musky

bailynicholjarvy

Re: Need a present for my friend!

Postby bailynicholjarvy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:24 am

I think whisky glasses would be a great choice. I would not go for a decanter, unless you are getting them a set for port and sherry too. Whisky decanter on its own probably will stay empty most of the time (as whisky decanting is mainly for looks). I have a pretty large collection of glassware, and actually started drinking whisky because I wanted to try my various glasses. In the glassware you don't have to buy large sets. Go for the character and quality. I love the old handmade glasses and actually prefer small antique ale glasses for my whisky. But you can find proper antique whisky tumblers too. Musky gave a good advice and I would just add - check out the classical British glass makers like Webb, Royal Doulton and Wedgwood, they all have superior quality cut crystal glasses. If you buy them new, be prepared to spend a pretty penny. If you go for old, only buy in good condition. You can hunt on eBay etc. Check proper antique dealers to see the range on offer. Look at www.lavishshoestring.com - I buy often there as they get very decent prices and good choice (a set of tumblers or small ales would be under £60 + decanters stock). Also check auctions (thesaleroom.com site is a big portal).
If you do decide to go for a decanter, I would say take a smaller size for whisky.
Hope this helps.
Peaty

Return to “Questions & Answers”