Need some advice

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Etobian

Need some advice

Postby Etobian » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:53 am

I'm relatively new to Scotch. My boss introduced me to it on a business trip. Can't remember what we had but I liked it. My first bottle of Scotch was a Macallan 15. Next bottle was a Macallan 18. Both were given to me as gifts and I enjoyed them. The Macallan 18 really got me hooked on Scotch. Given the price of Macallan and the fact you can no longer get the 'age designation' stuff I decide to try some others. First bottle Aberlour A'bunadh (Really, really loved this one even though it was very strong), followed by Glenlivet 18 ( It was just okay), Next Balvenie 12 Doublewood (Also very enjoyable), I'm now part way through a Aberfeldy 12 (It's just okay - I keep getting flavours of supher). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I should try next? I'm trying to find good Scotch that won't break the bank.
Thanks in advance :D

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Need some advice

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:15 am

Off the top of my head, Glenmorangie makes a decent whisky as does Glendronach. Edradour CS is similar to A'Bunadh but sometimes difficult to source unless you are in Edinburgh. (I know a place, eh jmrl!)
If you want something I like, Kilchoman has some pretty decent bottlings as does Bunnahabhain.
You really can't go wrong with Highland Park for my money.

If you want to try a selection and not break the bank, search out some "mini" bottlings which give you a taste of the whisky for a reasonable outlay. Or go to a whisky shop for a tasting, if any are being held in your area. Many shops will have bottles set aside for samples, just ask. There may be a small fee to offset the cost of opening the samples.

Musky

Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:02 am

Ganga wrote:Minis...a great way to explore. As far as I know, most places can get you sample bottles of the Glenmorangie range. This would allow you to not only look at the spirit (Original) but the influences of port (Quinta Ruben), sauternes (Nectar D'or) and sherry (Lasanta).

If you haven't tried an Islay, I suggest getting one. Laphroaig 10 or Ardbeg 10 are going to be big flavor whiskies and will give you an idea of whether this is for you or not.

I would suggest trying HP 12. Think Balvenie Doublewood only there is a touch of smoke.

And Old Pulteney 12. This is delicate and features maritime influences without the peat.

Hopefully you now have a starting point.

I like this response, excellent recommendations.
Musky

NCFisher

Postby NCFisher » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:55 am

I like the Old Pulteney 12 recommendation; a classic whisky excellently crafted and really tastes like nothing else; @ $40 in NC, a bargain.

I'm disappointed in the current Highland Park 12, and recommend the Benromach 10 instead; it's simply a better whisky with a similar profile... If you like this, step into the Talisker 10 next time you buy; an iconic, singular dram. Both of those are $60ish here.

Those three take you out of the wheelhouse you're in now without throwing all caution to the wind. For an introductory Islay, I'd recommend the Kilchoman Machir Bay ($60); though full-bodied and young, it's not the hammer. Or the Caol Ila 12 if priced the same. Stepping up in potency from there is the Ardbeg 10, $52 locally...I can't think of a better value in an honest, full-power Islay.

Being new, take small sips - 1/2 teaspoon or slightly more - that your saliva will dilute naturally and open up the spirit. If you find one too hot for your tastes - or too much smoke/peat - add a few drops of water and try again in a few minutes. You can repeat that until you either drown it or find your preference.

Jdebly

Postby Jdebly » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:23 am

Tomatin 14 portwood might be to your liking or Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12.

Return to “Questions & Answers”