New to Whisky

All your whisky related questions answered here.
thebbqguy

New to Whisky

Postby thebbqguy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:08 am

I am new to whisky. I have on occasion taken opportunities to drink American bourbon varieties and since I live in Michigan I have also tried the Canadians on rare occasion.

I have learned that I didn't really enjoy most of those I tried so far with one exception - Woodford Reserve. I really quite enjoyed it.

I don't know all the whisky terminology yet, but I'm sure I'll pick it up as I continue to research and learn the in's and out's.

I'd like to broaden my horizons and learn to appreciate something new and different at the same time. What suggestions do you have for someone who isn't a "real" whisky drinker, but is willing to learn? Should I start with some of the harsher flavors or stick to something more toward the milder side and work into it?

thebbqguy

Re: New to Whisky

Postby thebbqguy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:48 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look around for it.

I have been reading good things about Evan Williams. I might give it a try.

One time in college I drank 2/3's of a bottle of Southern Comfort. Boy what a night that was. I had one heck of a hangover, but I actually made it to class the next morning. I mixed it with a 2 liter of Coca Cola. It went down very easy. I'm not in college anymore and closer to 50 than 25, so I don't drink like that any more. I didn't then either actually. That was one and only time with anything besides a couple of beers here and there.

My wife bought some Southern Comfort to cook with recently. I don't think I can bring myself to try it again anytime soon. :lol:

The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:57 pm

Ganga wrote:As for another bourbon, you might try Ridgemont Reserve 1792.

One of my favourites. :thumbsup:

thebbqguy

Postby thebbqguy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:09 am

Well, to go ahead and get it over with I sampled the Southern Comfort tonight. Now I don't have to do that again. :lol:

It's way too sweet, but even though it's been many years it was just as I remember it.

HawgDaddy

Postby HawgDaddy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:43 pm

Good reply threads here. For a milder sweeter whiskey, you might try Maker's Mark or Larceny. They use wheat instead of rye. Rye..... offers the spice, or peppery flavor of whiskey, its absence with the addition of wheat allows more of the sweetness of the corn to come across in the body. Like the other threads, keep trying. Also, as you try, let a shot (ounce) last you a half hour to an hour. Sip....drops at a time. The first being the initial alcohol blast or introduction to your mouth, the subsequent sips will allow more of the flavors and barrel components to come across. Knocking it back in one gulp doesn't give you the opportunity to savor. Do NOT be afraid to add water. As little as 1/4 to 1/2 tsp per ounce of whiskey does great things to the aroma as well as knocking down the alcohol blast. Keep trying!! Post your findings!

Return to “Questions & Answers”