Whisky Valuation Dot Com

All your whisky related questions answered here.
o2o

Whisky Valuation Dot Com

Postby o2o » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:45 pm

Hi,

I created a little website, as a hobby :shock: , http://whiskyvaluation.com/

I would quite like your input. I have taken data from a number of auctions sites and compiled it into my own database. I am currently linking the lots from the database to bottles of whisky to create statistics for valuation purposes. It is a hard slog as the data from the auctions is quite poor to be honest, spelling mistakes and variations in titles and what have you (search Ardbeg 10 Year Old returns LOADS of different Ardbeg 10 Year Olds - I have to match up specific bottles before uploading to the site).. Anyway I have uploaded 70 bottles so far and everything is working as expected - could I have your thoughts on any way to improve the site?

Obviously more selection to search is my priority - I have thousands and thousands of bottles to add...if you would like a specific whisky added please let me know here or alternatively at whiskyvaluation at gmail dot com.

I hope collectors/investors and imbibers will find the data set useful. :P

agoldf

Re: Whisky Valuation Dot Com

Postby agoldf » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:56 am

Thanks and appreciated but the problem is that without considering premium which ranges from 10% -25% it gives a skewed valuation. 230 +10% is more than 200 +25% but your tool (and others) would show a large drop.

o2o

Postby o2o » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:57 am

I have intentionally (so far) ignored commission when displaying the bottle sale values. This is because it varies between the auction sites and the commission percentage changes depending on whether you are buying (10% +) or selling (0% +).

The values I display are purely the value paid before any fees are applied.

I know some auction houses include the commission when displaying the final sale price of a lot but the data I have doesn't do that. I have decided not to include "buyers final value" (including their commission) or the "sellers final value" (including their commission) simply so the data does not directly link to a specific auction site. I am independent and unaffiliated with anyone else just now.

I was going to add an index of auction sites displaying their commission as another page but do you think it much more relevant if I simply showed where the lots were sold and included the amounts paid buy the buyer and the amounts paid buy the seller (perhaps in a table) along with the existing graph and stats?

richard
Silver Member

Postby richard » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:52 pm

you cant forget the commision and vat as buyers include it when they decide to buy a bottle
as well as sellers when they sell there bottle as they dont get as much for the bottle
but best of luck in what you are doing

richard

o2o

Postby o2o » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:39 pm

Its not that I want to ignore the commission. It's that I can't handle the various different commission charges perfectly.

I decided to simply detail the cost the whisky sold for at auction regardless of the commission charged to the buyer/sellers as I thought this was the most clear way to distinguish the value - for example some sites display their sale values including commission. I don't know if the person searching on the site is a buyer/seller and it would get very messy accounting for every possible commission % (I would need at least 2 values for each plot point, the amount paid by the seller and the amount paid by the seller - not to mention the commission % varies wildly based on auction site).

Moving on from the commission, was it easy to use? Obviously you must select a distillery first before whisky, I was considering adding a "region" filter as I know the Distillery list will eventually contain a few hundred.

I will be uploading a few thousand more records this weekend from recent auctions, along with adding some popular bottles sold at auction - port ellen's/brora's etc.

I appreciate the feedback,
thanks.

o2o

Postby o2o » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:50 pm

I understand all the arguments for including commission, I will have a think about it.

I've had quite a bit of use now without any complaints so hopefully it is easy to use.

I updated the data with a few recent auction results whilst uploading some new bottles (all of the port ellen annual releases - good investments those).

Thanks for the feedback!

Return to “Questions & Answers”