"Old Grand-dad Whiskey" Any info?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Squire

"Old Grand-dad Whiskey" Any info?

Postby Squire » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:16 am

Some in-laws recently arrived from the states and brought me a gift (I had sent them on a mission for some Sazerac 18yo Rye but they were unsuccessful - apparently that stuff is pretty hard to come by??).
They instead gave me a little sampler pack of miniature bourbons and J.D.
Very cute and containing all the usual suspects, Beam white label, Wild Turkey, Maker's Mark etc.
One bottle I hadn't seen or heard of before was "Old Grand-dad" Bourbon.
There is no mention of it in J.M's Bible nor in the whiskies of the world section here. A brief google search comes up with a storry tying it back to Basil Hayden and co.

Has anyone tried it or does anyone have any info about it?

I would be appreciative of any info. It could just be your standard corner store gut-rot for all I know!

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:30 am

Look in the bourbon thread in the tastings section. I inquired about the same and got some favourable responses. It does seem like a full-bodied bourbon though. Not like Elijha Craig or Evan Williams single barrel.

That's my take on the descriptions though.

Frodo

WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:09 am

Hi Squire - I have never had Old Grand Dad... but I did find two references in a book by F. Paul Pacult - Kindred Spirits:

OLD GRAND DAD Kentucky Straight Bourbon 43% Alcohol

The very pretty and pure orange/copper color is classic bourbon; the nose is full-throttle grain, sharply sweet-sour and woody with dashes of spice and caramel - I like this no-razzle-dazzle bouquet a lot; at palate entry, it begins rather meekly, then in an explosive midpalate it bursts forward with biscuity, vanilla-wafer, and white chocolate tastes that capture the attention of the taste buds - riding a wave of manageable heat into the punchy aftertaste, OGD mellows out in the throat after about 30 seconds; this is what premium bourbon is all about - direct, almost reckless whiskey enjoyment that's a touch sweet, a bit warm, and appealing all the way home.

Rating *** Recommended $

OLD GRAND DAD 114-Barrel Proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon 57% Alcohol

Beautiful, deep topaz/bronze/orange hue, with very attractive amber highlights; as expected, potent and heady in the nose, but also astringent, pepperminty, and zesty - not what I'd term a deep complex bouquet - just straight on, fists cocked, and ready; on palate, it shows much more grace and gentility than in the pugnacious aroma, as well-defined, tightly focused sweet flavors of oak, pears, apricots, and dark caramel lead the taste buds to a moderately hot, though hardly unpleasant finish, where in the very tail end, the warm, rich flavor of oak-influenced vanilla completes the sensory impression.

Rating *** Recommended $ $

Copyright 1997 F. Pacult - Published by Hyperion, New York

Cheers, Dave.

bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:33 am

I've only had the 114 and did some tasting notes for it:

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopi ... ht=grandad

This ones all about flavour power and good rye input for me.

Gerald Ford

Postby Gerald Ford » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:27 pm

It is really quite funny to read this thread, being an American. Old Granddad has always been the archetypal bourbon, the one my grandmother drank, the first bourbon I ever tried, the case boxes were the ones I used in packing up for moving, etc. This brand is ubiquitous here. When I could not find a review in Jim Murray's bible, I anticipated that it might not be available outside the United States. I would not say you are missing out on much, but it is certainly not bad stuff.

I also laugh because I get so annoyed every time I see someone laud the virtues of the blend Black Bottle. That blend seems to be quite common overseas, but we cannot get it here. I am dying to try it.

bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:42 pm

I prefer Old Grandad 114 to Black Bottle :)

Ed
Silver Member

Postby Ed » Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:35 pm

Hello All,
The Old Grand Dad 114 is good, in your face Bourbon. The mash bill is rye heavy, 30% or there abouts. I like that.
Ed

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:39 am

Entry deleted.

Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:08 pm

Curiously, a bottle of Old Grandad whisky has just turned up for a whisky auction being held in Australia shortly:

{i]Lot 2462 1 glass decanter OLD GRAND-DAD Bicentennial Kentucky Straight Bourbon (level 6cm below bottom of stopper, etched glass decanter from Jim Beam) $50-100[/i]

Cheers,
Admiral

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 23, 2005 1:56 pm

Old Grand-Dad is a very fine old label turned into an 86-proof (for a while, 80 proof!) bottom-shelf brand after a 1987 purchase by Jim Beam. (The 114-proof bottling is an exception -- it is still very good). If you can lay your hands on an older bottle from its National Distillers (pre-Beam) days, snag it.
Trivia: "Old Grand-Dad" refers to Basil Hayden, whose profile is on the label. His likeness is absent from his namesake brand, part of Jim Beam Small Batch Collection.

Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Re: "Old Grand-dad Whiskey" Any info?

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:53 am

I just picked up a bottle of the 43% ABV for $16.99 and it is great value. As others have mentioned, plenty of rye to taste, with nice balance and a decent finish. What a bargain!

Return to “Questions & Answers”