What's the best summertime malt?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
mreitenb

What's the best summertime malt?

Postby mreitenb » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:06 am

In the deepest depth of winter, we get that craving for ... peat ... that gives us heat. But when it's hot and humid, the peated Islay malts aren't really to my taste.

So ... what's the best malt for summer dramming?

Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:33 am

Glen Moray or Glenmorangie 10.

(Whaddya know, both from the same stable? :wink: )

Cheers,
Admiral

rthomson
Silver Member

Postby rthomson » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:29 am

Best summertime, hmmm-

I think I would choose a Highland Park, 12 or 18- could go for either on a late summer night. Some smokiness to them but I find that Highland Park is a very accessible single malt for times, like summer evenings, when I might have a few friends over.

Ron

rthomson
Silver Member

Postby rthomson » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:36 am

...but now that I'm thinking of summer I have Bruichladdich on my mind. How does that happen? :)

Ron

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:28 am

Dalwhinnie with ice or Laphroaig 10 with ice, water and some Roses Lime Cordial. :D

FG

Postby FG » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:15 am

I agree with you mreitenb,

in the summer I choose less peaty and smoky one's and also less dark sherry bottlings.

It's a little bit like drinking wine in the summer - you take the light one.

So I really take Lowlands for example ( especially St. Magdalene / Linlithgow ) Rosebank or Littlemill.

IMO they fit perfectly to a warm summer evening in the garden.

Enjoy your dram,
Frank

islayjunkie
Silver Member

Postby islayjunkie » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:17 am

FG wrote:So I really take Lowlands for example ( especially St. Magdalene / Linlithgow ) Rosebank or Littlemill.

Saint Magdalene 19yo... a perfect malt for summer and winter? There is no such thing as winter in California I'm afraid.
Last edited by islayjunkie on Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

FG

Postby FG » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:26 am

Yes - this one is really absolut fantastic.

Enjoy your dram,
Frank

Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:10 am

Well, I love Islays and have to say I agree with rthompson that Bruichladdich is good for summer evenings. But having said that I won't prefer a whisky over a good white wine or a beer if it's very hot!

Cheers!

posterboy

Postby posterboy » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:33 pm

Hell, I always have Bruichladdich on my mind. :)

bond
Gold Member

Postby bond » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:35 pm

Glenkinchie is my favourite. Light and summery

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:10 pm

islayjunkie wrote: There is no such thing as winter in California I'm afraid.

So what's that stuff they ski on at Lake Tahoe?

Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:25 pm

Dalwhinnie with ice or Laphroaig 10 with ice

:shock: ICE? :roll:

Lawrence, Lawrence, Lawrence.......

( :D )

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:30 am

Funny, but I mostly associate summer drinking with Bourbon or Irish. I like the odd beer in our Canadian summer climate, but I wouldn't say no to some Auchantoshan. And come to think of it, the Glenkinchie or Dalwinnie sound pretty good...

Frodo

Hendriks

Postby Hendriks » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:16 am

No doubt...... Asyla by Compass Box

Dennis

hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:22 pm

I used to say peat for the winter and lowland for the summer but now I drink the full spectrum all year 'round. On hot days a nice, cool lager is good too and I don't mind a decent Riesling either ;)

Harry

Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:21 am

A decent Riesling?

So, Australian wines are big in Canada, eh? :wink:

Cheers,
Admiral

Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:42 am

The LCBO stocks a lot of Auzzie wines. Chardonney and Shiraz being really popular. I think I read somewhere that Auzzie wines have about a 9-11% share of LCBO wine sales.

Frodo

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:25 am

We get lots of Aussie wines here, too. Also the occasional Niagara--they are okay. Wish we could get more Okanagan wines.

We don't get any Australian whiskies. (Just trying to stay on topic.)

FG

Postby FG » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:20 am

Australian whisky ? :!:

In germany you can get 'Cradle Mountain' and 'Sullivan's Cove' both from 'Tasmanien' (sorry don't know this region in english).
Never tasted them.

You must know them admiral, do you?

Enjoy your dram,
Frank

Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:27 am

Cradle Mountain stopped distilling quite a few years ago, but they are still bottling from stock. This was a pretty nice malt. They also produced a double malt which was vatted with Springbank from Scotland. I really enjoyed that one, and you can still purchase it over the internet if you want to.

Sullivans Cove made the mistake of making some really good spirit, then choosing to mature it in cheap and nasty casks. The stuff they released in the early days was very, very bad. More recent bottlings have been tremendous improvements, but they're struggling to win the fight against the bad reputation they developed. I think they are now bottling under a different name, (something like Old Hobart).

There is also the Lark Distillery, which makes a beautiful malt.

These three distilleries are in Tasmania, which is the island state off the mainland, just south of Victoria.

There is another distillery in Melbourne called Bakery Hill which released the first of its expressions last year. Jim Murray has given it rave reviews in the 2005 Whisky Bible. There are three bottlings - a Classic Malt, a Peated Malt, and a Double Malt. All three are well crafted and pleasant to drink.

Cheers,
Admiral

Gerald Ford

Postby Gerald Ford » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:15 pm

As the question relates to malts only, I would agree with the many others and say Bruichladdich or Dalwhinnie. But if we could possibly include blends, then Compass Box Asyla, most assuredly.

patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:09 am

depends on what you are doing with your summer evenings! if i am sitting outside enjoying a cigar i dont want some wimpy lowlander. However i would go for a lighter whisky generally during the summer, maybe glenmorangie or aberlour 10.

Pat

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:29 am

It occurs to me that if you're somewhere fairly far north and it's one of those long, late, lingering twilights, then it ought to be Highland Park 18, if only so you can squint at the picture of the Ring of Brodgar on the label and transport yourself to mystical Orkney. In mid-winter, have the 12, and watch the sun set in the notch between the hills on Hoy.

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:12 am

Admiral, we have a great selection of Australian wines here, there are even Australian wine clubs, the quality and prices are excellent.

Some people even put ICE in them in summer. But not me.

Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:28 am

Glad to hear it! :D

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:26 pm

Admiral wrote:Cradle Mountain........Sullivans Cove ....... Lark Distillery............Bakery Hill .
Cheers,
Admiral

Hi Admiral!
It appears there's a lot I don't know about whisky - including australian whiskey! Could you tell us if australian whisky have some special "tastes" as a result of your warm climate? I'm very curious about this because your wines share a certain specific "features" in the taste that profoundly affect the taste.
I would say your wines have unfortunately slipped in quality the last 10 or so years with too much woodchips and caramell. The chardonnay sucks big time and is far too "tropical" in it's flavours but there are still a few very good ones to look out for!
Curious about your whiskey though?

Cheers!
Christian

Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:59 pm

I guess it's difficult to make such generalisations, but the whiskies do share a few things in common on the production side.

They all use Mount Franklin Barley, which is recognised as the premium variety in this country.

They all get the barley malted at nearby beer brewerys, and I think one of them even has the wash prepared at the brewery.

They all use quite small casks, and the majority of them are bottled at 3 to 4 years old. The industry is not big enough or profitable enough to enable the distillers to lay casks down for long periods of time. (There are exceptions, naturally - one or two casks appear every now and then with a few more years under their belt).

All the current distilleries, with the exception of two in Victoria, are in Tasmania. This is one of the colder areas of Australia, so the typical Australian heat doesn't play as much a role in the maturation.

One or two I've tasted have had hints of eucalyptus. Not surprising, since the Australian bush is littered with eucalyptus trees. I guess that answers your question about climate & environment.

Sorry about the chardonnays.....there was a bit of protest back home, and we've been keeping the good ones for ourselves now! :D

Cheers,
Admiral

Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:37 am

Hi Admiral!
Thanks for your informative answer! I'll have to check with my local wine monopoly if it's possible to get hold of an australian whiskey. Looks very interesting!

Cheers
Christian

Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:39 am

Try the Bakery Hill range. Jim Murray was very impressed with these (in fact, in the 2005 Whisky Bible, he reckons the cask-strength peated malt could be mistaken for an Islay, and he scored it somewhere in the nineties).

Cheers,
Admiral

Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:11 am

Admiral wrote:There are exceptions, naturally - one or two casks appear every now and then with a few more years under their belt.

Admiral, should that not read "under their hoops"? :?

Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:35 am

Mr Picky strikes again.

Still, why let a technicality ruin a good figure of speech?

Cheers,
Admiral

Return to “Questions & Answers”