Question on dealing with broken cork

All your whisky related questions answered here.
numen

Question on dealing with broken cork

Postby numen » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:08 am

Hi,

I'm new to the board -- usually a lurking reader, but a broken cork has left me running for advice and registration. I just got a rather old bottle of whisky and attempted to open the bottle, but the top of the cork broke off from the stem. I used the vintage wine cork removal kit and got the rest of the cork out without a problem. My concern/question: what do I do with the bottle now? There's a lot of whisky left in the bottle, and it's good, rare stuff. In the meantime, I've put a plastic wine-stopper on it, but is that a sufficient or appropriate resolution for the long haul, or is there something else that I should do or use?

Thanks,

numen

Re: Question on dealing with broken cork

Postby numen » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:38 pm

Thanks for the advice. I went to a local wine & spirits shop and asked for some advice. I was advised that the bottle stopper was ok, but that glass is better than plastic. The staff member suggested that I use a glass stopper from a wine bottle for long-term storage instead. I'll give that a shot!

numen

Re: Question on dealing with broken cork

Postby numen » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:51 pm

Thanks. Would I be better of getting a new bottle of whisky - even if the aromas and flavor profile is different -- and just reappropriating the cork?

Return to “Questions & Answers”