Cooperative 12 yo Highland single malt ID?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
c.ortiz

Cooperative 12 yo Highland single malt ID?

Postby c.ortiz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:18 pm

Hello,

For UK readers - anyone tried this, or have an idea of it might "really" be? Dalmore maybe?

http://www.co-operative.coop/food/whats-hot/Food-news/Single-malt-Scotch-from-The-Co-operative/

It's £17.99 at my local co-op.

The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Re: Cooperative 12 yo Highland single malt ID?

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:42 pm

Or Fettercairn?

c.ortiz

Postby c.ortiz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:01 pm

After some more research, I'm thinking this must be the Dalmore 12. From their own website:

"Judicious selection and the precise balance of American white oak and Oloroso sherry wood, delivers our most vibrant expression - robust yet elegant, with an aftertaste of brilliant complexity." Flavour profile is "spice, citrus, vanilla".

Compare with Co-op's:

"made using locally grown barley, which is then matured in sherry cask barrels and American white oak... The result is a deep gold mahogany whisky, with warm notes of citrus and exotic spices and a long, lingering aftertaste."

The Fettercairn 12, on the other hand, has no mention of oak, sherry, or a similar flavour profile. Would be very happy to get a Dalmore 12 for the price, but possibly not the Fettercairn, as they don't have very good reviews!....
They aslo seem to gave stopped making it: http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12400

So.... has anyone out there actually tried the Co-op one?

c.ortiz

Postby c.ortiz » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:56 pm

I've now picked up a bottle of this stuff, and it's brilliant - especially for the price! I;ve only tried Dalmore once, but still thinking that's probably what this is.

Recommended - though may not be easy to find, as I've only seen it in one local Co-op.

evertonmint

Postby evertonmint » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:35 pm

LOL hell of a clue on the box...."almost as mystical as the BlackIsle itself"

Dalmore anyone??? :D

keethee

Postby keethee » Wed May 22, 2013 9:15 pm

Was tempted to buy this at £20.09 a bottle.
I'm not a massive fan of Dalmore 12yo, but it's a bit of a bargain at 20 quid, & i'm 99% certain that's what it is. Was researching what it could be in "Black Isle" area, & concluded it was moest likely Glen Ord, but this does not nose or taste like Glen Ord or any of nearby distilleries, tastes & smells exactly like Dalmore 12:- old sherry cask, thick, almost cloying "marmalade" sweetness, slightly nutty finish. Appears to me to be 1/2 price Dalmore 12, only difference from distillery bottling might be that it's very slightly lighter (Splittin hairs here). I live in Aberdeen, Dalmore 12yo normally £38-40, so this is a serious bargain. Slainte!

Scally

Postby Scally » Tue May 12, 2015 6:47 pm

It's back! Haven't seen it in-store for a few years, now retailing at £22.99p, but I did get a £4 off voucher for my next grocery shop, which means that it is really £19 a bottle.

Return to “Questions & Answers”